The 3rd Eye

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The 3rd Eye

Postby tanglang on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 am

I am extremely interested in the third eye.

It is a concept discussed in Indian meditative practices (in Hindu, Buddhist and other schools), Chinese martial arts (it is one of the meridian points in the microcosmic orbit), Japanese martial arts (especially in the internal schools eg. Aikido, Aikijutsu etc.), and is even mentioned in the New Testament.

I knew a man who was a member of Ananda Marga. He claimed that during meditation his third eye would fill with light, pouring through a small keyhole.

I have attempted to open my third eye for many years, although have been advised against it on a number of occasions . Once opened it is said to bestow clairvoyance and precognition upon it's practitioners. These skills, if attainable (and I am keeping a very open mind here), are surely exceptionally valuable to any human being.

In Taoism, I believe this point is associated, or may even be, the upper dantien. As this is a Neijia forum, I expect some members here have experience of third eye practices. I would appreciate any thoughts, guidance, criticism or advice regarding this controversial method.

Many thanks,

Sam
tanglang
Santi

Re: The 3rd Eye

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

It's part of a series of points in your body where you can, with some effort, attempt to change the way the brain focuses on incoming stimuli. Specifically because it's where you can concentrate on extending perception from your "center". It's center placement gives it a great degree of importance in it's usage as a stable balance point in the body which in turn allows it to be part of the system of stimuli you take in to be able to better read the way bodies in motion and their energies move in 3 dimensional space.

Also relaxing that space and being able to concentrate from it is one of the most important steps in being able to disengage the dirty, dirty optical nerves from their natural reaction inducing propensity. We are sooooooo visual, and being able to quiet the mind to the point where you don't react to visual stimulus is a lot of work because of that. Two thieves are the eyes, indeed.

Anyway, that's some straightforward physical process parts of it.

IME.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Free Awakening The Third Eye ebook

I'm a sometimes instructor of this method, and it works for a good percentage of people who put the work in.

Good luck with your quest.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:17 pm

tanglang wrote:These skills, if attainable (and I am keeping a very open mind here), are surely exceptionally valuable to any human being.

Stepping for a sec. into those old 'esoteric shoes' that I wore a long time ago... :) -- I would question this motif.

(OK that's enough, -- back out into the "real" world. ;D)

Good luck anyway.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:20 pm

But seriously, put the comic books down.
Chris Fleming

Postby everything on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:29 pm

tanglang wrote: I have attempted to open my third eye for many years, although have been advised against it on a number of occasions .

why are you interested - maybe obsessed - with this area? neijia is more concerned with the dantian area.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Hopefully you are trying this with skilled supervision, right?

Just trying doesn't mean you will succeed.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:28 pm

THERE IS NO TRY, ONLY DO
Michael

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Ian

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:02 pm

tanglang wrote:I am extremely interested in the third eye.

It is a concept discussed in Indian meditative practices (in Hindu, Buddhist and other schools), Chinese martial arts (it is one of the meridian points in the microcosmic orbit), Japanese martial arts (especially in the internal schools eg. Aikido, Aikijutsu etc.), and is even mentioned in the New Testament.

I knew a man who was a member of Ananda Marga. He claimed that during meditation his third eye would fill with light, pouring through a small keyhole.

I have attempted to open my third eye for many years, although have been advised against it on a number of occasions . Once opened it is said to bestow clairvoyance and precognition upon it's practitioners. These skills, if attainable (and I am keeping a very open mind here), are surely exceptionally valuable to any human being.

In Taoism, I believe this point is associated, or may even be, the upper dantien. As this is a Neijia forum, I expect some members here have experience of third eye practices. I would appreciate any thoughts, guidance, criticism or advice regarding this controversial method.

Many thanks,

Sam

There are many many more practices more worthy of your time than that '3rd eye' thing.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby neijia_boxer on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:16 pm

imagine a search light from your third eye searching for your dan tien below the navel
neijia_boxer

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:17 pm

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:59 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Image

with "Ma kita"tools only ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:44 am

LOL
Michael

Postby Jonny on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 am

You may have better luck trying a forum that deals with chakras and yogic practices.

I do believe in the metaphysical, such as the third eye, but would rather spend my short time on earth pursuing different goals (self defense, good health, being centered and relaxed.) I will leave the clairvoyance to others. It's just not one of my goals.

I would re-examine your goals for training; what do you want to get out of your practice of neigong and martial arts?
Jonny
Mingjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic