Derren Brown Predicts Lottery Result (Honest!)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Derren Brown Predicts Lottery Result (Honest!)

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Master Derren!

Will you accept a humble discipline?

Train me, humiliate me, beat me - I will do anything to learn your skill!

After I have won my first GBP4 million, I promise to honour your name ever after!

Sincerely yours -
Andy_S
(Contactable by PM, care of RSF.)

Apparently, the great man is going to reveal how he did it on TV tonight, UK time. Other magicians quoted in various articles are as mystified as the rest of us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... do-it.html
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: Derren Brown Predicts Lottery Result (Honest!)

Postby GrahamB on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:27 am

Andy,

He's great. Did you see the one where he took a betting ticket for a horse that had lost to the till and got them to pay out £250 by 'mind controlling' the lady in the booth? That was pretty darn good.... I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 am

GrahamB wrote:Andy,

He's great. Did you see the one where he took a betting ticket for a horse that had lost to the till and got them to pay out £250 by 'mind controlling' the lady in the booth? That was pretty darn good.... I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMaZzL_a90
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:16 am

Both he and David Blaine have a big back up team of technical experts, nlp guys, psychologists and marketing people. I did some work for the former's producer and was the main 'fall guy' on a show with the latter and once you see how it is all done its no longer magic or fascinating. Most of his stuff is simple manipulation of a gullible crowd and selective choosing of filmed results. ie. film you telling a man a thousand times what he is thinking and of course sometimes you get that right...then show that on the box. Accomplices in the crowd the same thing for live shows.

We were in Soho with the cameras on us and a developing crowd......Blaine had already span my mind by throwing a certain card THROUGH a window (later i found out was a typical 'force' technique').....then he starts doing ridiculous stuff with the cards that had people reeling back in amazement...until this little old cockney guy walks out of a betting shop and proceeds to, in front of the cameras, duplicate every single trick and even tell us what was coming next! The production team tried to move him off but the magic had kinda gone.

However he does have some interesting body control stuff......
alexsuffolk

Postby Ralteria on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:12 am

Was this the joker that did the "no inch" hypnotist punch on that WC student? I kinda found that hard to believe.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:19 am

Yeah, Ralteia, that's the guy. Interesting post, alex.
Michael

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:05 am

Just to make clear the soho gig was David Blaine. Another strange thing about him was his energy, i have rarely felt a colder presence around someone (except for many yrs ago when Thatcher walked passed me in a doorway, icyyyyyyyy i tell ya.....)
Last edited by alexsuffolk on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexsuffolk

Postby bailu on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 pm

alexsuffolk wrote: (except for many yrs ago when Thatcher walked passed me in a doorway, icyyyyyyyy i tell ya.....)

Sophy says she's very proud of you :) (She's northern, and so very anti-thatcher)
~Medway Tai Chi Society~
www.medwaytaichisociety.tk
bailu
Anjing

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:29 pm

The Final Cut says it all.....brilliantly sad....
alexsuffolk

Postby Andy_S on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:06 am

Alex and Bailu:

Kindly post your political opinions elsewhere, on THIS thread we are learning how to get instantly rich, thank you!

I am amazed at Brown's ability to suggestibilize (?) people but this...
SNIP
Most of his stuff is simple manipulation of a gullible crowd and selective choosing of filmed results. ie. film you telling a man a thousand times what he is thinking and of course sometimes you get that right...then show that on the box.
SNIP
...did grab my attention, as I often wondered how much of an element to this there was.

There again, "Take his mind and his body will follow..." (or, in this case, his wallet, his goods, etc). Call it trickery if you wish, but it is still clever stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz_YTNLn6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIz2FAg ... re=related

And finally, of course, Derren takes on God himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8- ... playnext=1

Now that religion, mysticism and all that old nonsense has been debunked...let's get back to the more imporant business of getting rich, filthy rich!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:28 am

Oh, and here is how he did it....apparently.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8252235.stm

Derren Brown has gone from "the most intriguing person on TV to the most irritating"
- The Times
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:51 am

Rubbish! So he bailed out of explaining the trick after all that. I'll take simple digital editing and a delayed video feed.

Alex, thanks for the explanations, very interesting.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby alexsuffolk on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 am

Look use common sense....let someone simply show you their predicted numbers a day BEFORE the event...that would be cool.
alexsuffolk

Postby bartekb on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:28 am

I did some research on NLP stuff years ago but I lost interest when I discovered their seduction NLP stuff works - but only if you aim at average girls not the real pretty ones :)
Derren Browns best trick is convincing people that what he does is actually based on science and psychology while in fact is based on "magic", meaning misdirection, distraction, plain manual tricks, etc.

http://www.simonsingh.net/Derren_Brown_Article.html - here you go!
Last edited by bartekb on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic