why is business so stupid? (rant)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

why is business so stupid? (rant)

Postby everything on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:01 am

in something like martial arts, people are always stripping away the useless. e.g., if the tai chee is shown to be flowerly, people (except some of us cheee loving hippies) drop it.

why is it that in business, people are forever enchanted by the new stupid flowery thing? reengineering, six sigma, core competence - whatever management consulting snake oil of the year or month happens to come along? why? i say, why? yet stupid businesspeople continue to throw money at stupid people who think they have something (and clearly they do in the sense that someone is paying for it). i guess it is equivalent to the pejorative "mcdojos" - there are some "mcconsultants" that are very very annoying.

whew. feel better now.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: why is business so stupid? (rant)

Postby jasonf on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm

[quote="everything"]

yet stupid businesspeople continue to throw money at stupid people who think they have something (and clearly they do in the sense that someone is paying for it). i guess it is equivalent to the pejorative "mcdojos" - there are some "mcconsultants" that are very very annoying.

[quote]
Don't worry they don't last too long.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:20 pm

You might enjoy The Catbird Seat by James Thurber. It's about an old-timey efficiency expert.
Michael

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:46 pm

thurber=brilliant
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Haven't read this since the early 90's or so. Gonna be interesting to see how my memory matches up. Probably will reveal early stages of post-menopausal dementia caused by extruded cloaca syndrome.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 pm

SPOILER ALERT!

I hadn't remembered any details beyond the main characters and that the story shows what I'd like to see happen to most of the consultants I've ever come across. It was perfect that a psychiatrist was just another consultant to condemn the first consultant. Brilliant!
Michael

Return to Off the Topic