is anyone here a USA immigration lawyer?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

is anyone here a USA immigration lawyer?

Postby meeks on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 pm

I have some questions.

my mom is a naturalized US Citizen. I was 17 and unmarried when she was granted this status - she lived in usa since 1978. Am I able to apply for naturalized status based on that situation? if so, how?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Re: is anyone here a USA immigration lawyer?

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Another closet American? You're going to lose all them fancy Canadian health benefits if you come down south. ;D
Michael

Postby Orpheus on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 pm

You can apply for a green card based on your mother being a US citizen.

You can begin the process to apply for citizenship once you get a permanent green card.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby meeks on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 pm

I used to have a green card. Then I went back into Canada to take a 10 week course and on my return to USA the border guard took it away. his argument was if I 'moved' to Canada for the course I was no longer eligible to have the card (asshole).
meeks
Administrator

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Wotta joik! Hey, don't listen to Orpheus, he's Chinese now. :)
Michael

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 am

I may be a US immigration attorney in about 4 weeks. But someone else answered your question. And yeah, I am leaving Tokyo and heading stateside.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 am

I don't feel my question's been answered. I think I should be able to apply for citizenship regardless of green card. Green card is only good if I am residing in USA - I move around with work.
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 am

Meeks, if you a Canadian citizen, then one question is whether you are seeking dual citizenship. I'm not a lawyer, but I think there is a certain time limit for application. I.e., a minor can just apply, no matter where he is. Otoh, the rules are much stricter for an adult. For ex., there might be residency requirements. If so, then you'd need a way to stay in the country long enough to apply --which might mean a visa, visa waiver or working papers. That's usually for naturalization. I'm not sure there's a statute that makes you automatically eligible for citizenship if you're over 21. Best of luck.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:46 am

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship over another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship. Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.

If you are a U.S. citizen who has acquired or plans to acquire Canadian nationality and you intend to relinquish your U.S. citizenship or if you wish to renounce your U.S. citizenship, discuss with the U.S. Consulate the procedures necessary to formalize this. More information relating to the loss of citizenship is available at this site:

See if this might apply at your end
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship ... p_778.html
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:20 pm

Sorry Meeks, it was unclear that you wanted to stay in Canada.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:00 pm

xxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Michael wrote:Another closet American? You're going to lose all them fancy Canadian health benefits if you come down south. ;D

Is that why you left the States?

You Hippy! :P
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby meeks on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm

If you are not a U.S. citizen by birth, you may be eligible to become a citizen through naturalization. People who are 18 years and older use the "Application for Naturalization" (Form N-400) to become naturalized. Children who are deriving citizenship from naturalized parents use the "Application for a Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) to become naturalized. Call the INS Forms Line at 1-800-870-3676 to request a Form N-600.

so is anyone here an immigration lawyer? I just want to confirm stuff, not have to reiterate everything to people only finding info to justify contrivances - not that I don't appreciate input - I'm just trying to weed past what I've already weeded through myself :)

I already had 1 of my friends accomplish this - he proved that 1 of his grandparents were american (posthumously) and through 'trickle down effect' was granted american citizenship.
Last edited by meeks on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meeks
Administrator

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:03 am

Meeks, I will be moving to TX is about 3-4 weeks to work at an Immigration law firm, but I would not hold anything I have to say as gospel truth as of yet. Once I move to TX I will ask the other partners, but they may want to charge you for any info.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic