Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with katana

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with katana

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 am

I am against killing people, and in this context as well. Perhaps I was not as clear, but I do believe if you look back I said as much and definitely was in no way "gung ho" about killing and "blood thirsty" and so on and so on and so on as you said.

I am for standing up for yourself and your property and also presented the distinction that if someone is breaking into your house, you DON'T KNOW what is going to happen, if the person is just some junkie trying to steal some shit to get money or if it is a home invasion. In my perspective you completely missed this distinction I made. Yes, I get that this particular incident took place in a person's garage. To me it matters less than it does to you.

As for your earlier posts, I took special exception to your characterization of the student as an "angry kid" who you all of a sudden seemed to be looking to kill someone and that the criminal was a victim of "summary execution". That's quite a narrative to me.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

Chris Fleming wrote:I am against killing people, and in this context as well. Perhaps I was not as clear, but I do believe if you look back I said as much and definitely was in no way "gung ho" about killing and "blood thirsty" and so on and so on and so on as you said.

I am for standing up for yourself and your property and also presented the distinction that if someone is breaking into your house, you DON'T KNOW what is going to happen, if the person is just some junkie trying to steal some shit to get money or if it is a home invasion. In my perspective you completely missed this distinction I made. Yes, I get that this particular incident took place in a person's garage. To me it matters less than it does to you.

As for your earlier posts, I took special exception to your characterization of the student as an "angry kid" who you all of a sudden seemed to be looking to kill someone and that the criminal was a victim of "summary execution". That's quite a narrative to me.

I think if you follow the story and get to the part where the house had been broken into and the playstation stolen, you will find the surmising of angry kid to be fairly acrurate. The fact that he left the house, armed and headed towards the garage with intent further solidifies that call.

as for calling him a kid, except for professors and teachers for the most part and the occasional ae student, universities are filled with Kids.

you took offense to my interpretation of the story which is actually pretty close to the facts as given and as they will continue to come out.

why take special exception to my characterization of this individual based on the facts I used?

1. burglar was outside
2. kid was angry from losing his console game and other stuff earlier
3. kid went from house to garage, clearly with intent.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

I say we do an experiment. Darth, wearing one of those RedMan suits, will sneak into Chris's garage at night and make some noise, and see whether Chris calls 911 or goes in to smash Darth with a 56kg kettlebell.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

good luck trying to smash anyone with something that weighs more than 100 lbs.

lol
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:18 am

Stop weaseling out of this Darth, you coward. ;D

(besides, reportedly, in the old days there were guandao that weighted over 100 lbs, so there :P)
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am

Darth.... never mind, nothing could ever get through to your air-tight compartment of a mind. I leave you to yourself. Bye...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:45 am

Cerebus, that was the worst attempt at a parthian shot ever. ;D

I leave you and your closed, compressed and pressure sealed mind to yourself.

:p
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am

Dmitri wrote:Stop weaseling out of this Darth, you coward. ;D

(besides, reportedly, in the old days there were guandao that weighted over 100 lbs, so there :P)

The 100lb generals knife does exist, I've seen jade and bronze versions of it.

did anyone ever successfully wield it?

Only in wuxia novels.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am

I believe Liang Shou Yu has a guan dao of that weight and can wield it.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 am

Chris Fleming wrote:I believe Liang Shou Yu has a guan dao of that weight and can wield it.

I believe he can't.

I am an adept with the weapon.

My personal training version is almost 30 pounds. It is very difficult.

the actual usable weapon is less than 13 pounds and seems like a feather after training with the heavy.

a 100 pound weapon that is not being fired out of a cannon is useless.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 am

"I believe he can't."

Man, you are such a dick.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 am

Chris Fleming wrote:"I believe he can't."

lol why?

Because I say that I doubt that a man nearing 70 cannot weild a 100 pound weapon with any efficacy?

I'd bet you a dollar he would agree.

You really need to just ignore me or something Chris.

when you say something stupid like "so and so can weild a 100 pound generals knife" then someone who has been training with one for more than 10 years is gonna take exception with it. :)
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:15 am

FWIW, one of the 70-something-year-old Chen guys (from 'small frame' branch) has (and practices with, or at least practiced with a few years ago) a 50-lbs one.

It's not 100 but then he's not in his 30's either...

I don't see why it would be impossible to be able to wield a 100-lbs one. The fact that you (Darth) can't do despite years of training can be used as an argument here only to a certain point. :P

That said, FIGHTING with it, for all practical purposes, is an entirely different story...
But we weren't talking about fighting, we were talking about smashing. :)
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:32 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Chris Fleming wrote:"I believe he can't."

lol why?

Because I say that I doubt that a man nearing 70 cannot weild a 100 pound weapon with any efficacy?

I'd bet you a dollar he would agree.

You really need to just ignore me or something Chris.

when you say something stupid like "so and so can weild a 100 pound generals knife" then someone who has been training with one for more than 10 years is gonna take exception with it. :)

Why? Because you immediately think that something you cannot do must be wrong, and anyone else thinking to the contrary is wrong--the general pattern with you it seems. I don't believe ANYONE is riding off into battle with a guan dao. It's a given that a weapon with such a weight is for strength building and/or internal connections testing purposes alone and not for battle field efficiency. Duh.

I have not had the pleasure to meet Liang Shou Yu in person but remember a picture in one of his books when he is using one which he lists as being 100lbs. He was even up on one leg. If you don't believe it than I guess that's on you.

Look, I know that to you, anyone who says anything different than you is saying "stupid" things, but I happen to train with the guan dao myself. My heaviest one weighs 40lbs (which I bought from Shifu John Lee of itg8.com many years ago) so I know a thing or two about the weapon. But all that is besides the point. Just have to point out once again that anything you don't like/agree with is immediately belittled or negated by you. Why is that?

Like I said, life with you must be a blast and I feel sorry for those who you interact with on a daily basis in person. You strike me as being VERY high maintenance. If in person you are actually this closed minded and demanding as you are in your online persona, people would have to work overtime at appeasing you in order just to keep the peace.

Chris Fleming

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm

why take special exception to my characterization of this individual based on the facts I used?

1. burglar was outside
2. kid was angry from losing his console game and other stuff earlier
3. kid went from house to garage, clearly with intent.

The problem is that two out of three of these facts are your personal interpretation, not facts at all. The remaining one fact is simply incorrect. He was in the garage after all, which is clearly not outside, judging by the use of the words "in the". Perhaps you meant, "the burglar was not in the house".
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic