Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with katana

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with katana

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:"vigilante summary executions carried out against petty thieves"

That's a big assumption...that the person who was in their own apartment and heard someone breaking in all of a sudden is a vigilante in your eyes, and the person breaking into the house was just a petty thief, as if the sword wielding "vigilante" was supposed to know that. And that person was "executed". Sounds like you are making up your own narrative. Or talking out of your ass once AGAIN.

I tell you what: if someone ever tries to break into your house, here's what you do. Just stand there and let yourself get robbed. Assume that he is just trying to take something and try not to think about if the person is really a sociopath and is now doing a home invasion on you. And hey, if he wants to kill you and then take your wife, just let him, because you have been trained that standing up for your and your family's safety is wrong.

It;'s not an assumption Chris, read the story will you.

The guy wasn't in the home, he was in a garage outside.

also, if I hear someone breaking in, I pick up the phone and dial 911 first, then I get ready to protect myself and I stay where I am or move to where ,my family members are.

wtf is wrong with people?

This was wrong. It's not assumptive to say so according to the article and the story as it has unfolded.

take your bullshit strawman arguments elsewhere. Maybe a 6 year old might buy into that, but anyone with an ounce of rational and a modicum of compassion towards their fellow men would not for one second condone what this guy did to the thief.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:the guy was in his garage.

is property worth more than life? even a confused life in need of structure and guidance?

the guy was a petty thief apparently. Not a home invader.
If we as a society condone the killing of people for mere property crimes, then we are indeed sinking into savagery.

This gets a big QFT from me. Condoning shit like this sends the message to society that it is OK to do; and you can bet your life that there will be no end of people who will act on that message. The other thing is that the person who kills will have to live with that for the rest of their' miserable life. They don't tell you that at hero school.

While I don't condone killing for stealing, nonetheless, any building on one's property can be considered a part of one's "home". If someone does not wish to possibly risk their lives, they should NOT be on someone ELSES property, breaking into ANY buildings on that property. Quite simple and easy actually. It's not like the deceased "accidentally" broke in by mistake. If anyone breaks into a house while I am in that house (or in any building on the property while I'm there), they are in for some injury. Will I kill them? Not if I can help it. Will I feel bad if they fight and end up dying from injuries sustained in the fight? No. No one made them do what they chose to do. In fact, every aspect of our society has made it clear that what they were doing was illegal and wrong. But guess what, they said "Fuck it! Imma do it anyway, and fuck you if you don't like it!" They end up getting killed because of it, well they knew better and did it anyway. Might as well feel sorry for someone who knew that fire would burn them but chose to be a jackass and stick their hand in the fire anyway.

And Darth Rock & Roll, you're a strange one. You have zero compassion for someone who was lured into a dojo and mercilessly beaten in spite of their having no desire to fight, but you're all up in arms over someone getting themselves killed by invading another persons property to steal from them. Downright weird...
Last edited by cerebus on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:57 pm

I agree with the last sentiment. But, I don't think it's as simple as property v. human life. The owner had a sword and might have surprised the robber, who then attacked --or tried to get by-- and the owner used the sword. Did he have a choice whether to use the sword --or get it taken away from him-- we have only his word, as it stands. Now, if he had a choice, that's a moral question. It has a legal aspect, sure; but it is also a matter of conscience. Reminds me of Gran Torino, when the boy asks Kowalski whether he was bothered by the things he was ordered to do. He replied something like 'It's not the things you're ordered to do that bother you.'

I also don't think this is vigilantism. That's when a person or group deliberately goes out to seek 'justice' on his or their own. Bronson in Death Wish wasn't always a vigilante. He'd just go out looking for someone to give him trouble. I'm like most people. What Bronson did was ok because everyone he killed threatened him or deserved it. The vigilantes people fear are the ones many associate with lynch mobs and extra-legal 'justice' --which translates more to vengeance.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 pm

cerebus wrote:And Darth Rock & Roll, you're a strange one. You have zero compassion for someone who was lured into a dojo and mercilessly beaten in spite of their having no desire to fight, but you're all up in arms over someone getting themselves killed by invading another persons property to steal from them. Downright weird...

The guy who got stomped in the dojo said his only master was Jesus Christ. Darth, does this mean anything?
Michael

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:39 pm

LOL. For a while I thought his name should be changed to "Darth Double Anus" but "Darth Double Standard" seems to be more fitting.
Chris Fleming

Postby zenman on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:32 am

I read in today's Bangkok Post about some protests south of here (I don't pay it much attention) where one person was shot in the neck and another hit in the eye by a slingshot! I almost bought a slingshot this weekend. Guess I better before they are banned.
zenman
Anjing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am

Getting a beating, and being killed are two entirely different things. I couldn't help but notice that you also managed to build up a fabricated narrative concerning your former reference as well.

Way to build up yet another fucking strawman argument

Is this what passes for valid discourse among Americans these days? Is this the only way you can validate your opinion? By making shit up entirely and then proclaiming it as part of the facts?

Ridiculous. This is what your assumptions are.

Also, you are trying to validate your own lack of morality in the support of what is tantamount to murder by measuring the meaning of garage vs house?

That is fucking even weirder.

Chris, your petty insults are as meaningless as your opinion. Not even clever and revealing of the infantile state you think in it seems.

Anyway, you guys wanna spit anger at me, go ahead. If you cannot reason and that is all you have, then I guess I should expect it from such small minded individuals.

End result is, I don't think it's right to carry out summary executions. And your vapid, vacuus and bloodthirsty fake ass posturing bravado and machismo makes me even more disgusted with the act and with your support of it.

Here's what's weird cerebus, you guys feel all sorry for a guy who gets beat up and you cry like bleeding hearts, and then when some loser steals from a garage and gets hacked to death by a sword wielding angry kid who lost his console game, you cheer?

You are anachronisms.
Go to the Colosseum, maybe they'll tear some Christians apart with lions today for their crimes against your sensibilities and then you can cheer that on too.
Then maybe make someone else stomach turn with your sick views of human life and it's value.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:51 am

I don't know if any of that was directed at me, and I'm not trying to send any anger your way, but I'm defending the resident's right to have a weapon and protect his property, but I do think it's too bad the guy was killed. Would have been better otherwise is a good sentiment, but it's not mine or anyone's place to tell that directly to the resident without a lot more information. I just don't like it being turned on the resident like he has to justify everything. The only thing he maybe should explain is the circumstances of the fight, but I don't think he needs to explain the sword or investigating a noise in his house. The thing about the Christians and the Colosseum sort of answers my other question.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 am

Michael wrote:I don't know if any of that was directed at me, and I'm not trying to send any anger your way, but I'm defending the resident's right to have a weapon and protect his property, but I do think it's too bad the guy was killed. Would have been better otherwise is a good sentiment, but it's not mine or anyone's place to tell that directly to the resident without a lot more information. I just don't like it being turned on the resident like he has to justify everything. The only thing he maybe should explain is the circumstances of the fight, but I don't think he needs to explain the sword or investigating a noise in his house. The thing about the Christians and the Colosseum sort of answers my other question.

yes, you absolutely have to justify your use of force when you KILL someone?

what a strange thing to say?

What you guys are cheering for can be turned into bad quickly.

it amounts to being able to kill anyone on your property for any reason and then you can make up a story later regarding circumstances of the killing because DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.

what is so hard to understand about that?

there are services in place to assist you ion the protection of your property. To resort to vigilantism is wrong at the core.
If you can't see that, then I would say you lack maturity of spirit.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 am

Given the information, what do you think should happen Darth?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:10 am

Well Darth, that's a good way to twist things that were (and weren't) said and heap on the hyperbole. What was that you were saying about "spitting anger"? And the whole accusing us of "cheering" the killing when we've explicitly said that we DON'T condone the killing? I guess you can just make up what you WANT us to have said and respond to THAT instead since, it supports your venting of your spleen so much better...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:16 am

Darth, if someone invades your house, then YOUR life (and those of your loved ones) may be in danger. You can't ask the intruder to please wait while you evaluate the situation so that you can respond accordingly. Dialing 911 is a good thing but unless the police station is next door, the next 5 minutes may be your last.

Just like if someone pulls a deadly weapon on you, whether they have an intent to kill you or not, they had just forfeited their life by explicitly threatening your life. It could be a toy gun or a plastic knife -- it's simply DOESN'T MATTER, because for you it's an explicit threat. Same with home intrusion IMO -- you can't wait and see if they're in to steal your TV or to rape your daughter.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:it amounts to being able to kill anyone on your property for any reason and then you can make up a story later regarding circumstances of the killing because DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.

I was never looking at it that way, that's really a different argument. No one is saying "license to kill retarded children who wander across corner of your front yard chasing their puppy dog at 2 PM." I'm saying if someone breaks into your house late at night and lunges at you, then you can defend yourself.

To be clear:
1. Breaks into your house
2. Late at night
3. Attacks you

Then
4. Self-defense is justified

And
5. No justification is needed for carrying a weapon on your property

Hope that's clear enough.
Michael

Postby cerebus on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 am

Michael wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:it amounts to being able to kill anyone on your property for any reason and then you can make up a story later regarding circumstances of the killing because DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.

I was never looking at it that way, that's really a different argument. No one is saying "license to kill retarded children who wander across corner of your front yard chasing their puppy dog at 2 PM." I'm saying if someone breaks into your house late at night and lunges at you, then you can defend yourself.

To be clear:
1. Breaks into your house
2. Late at night
3. Attacks you

Then
4. Self-defense is justified

And
5. No justification is needed for carrying a weapon on your property

Hope that's clear enough.

It's clear enough Michael, but Darth will still read it as "I support the right to summarily execute anyone on my property for any reason" because that's what he wants people to be saying so he can scream at them and accuse them of "spitting anger" at him...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 am

And just so ya know Darth, dead men DO tell tales. Ask any forensics expert...
cerebus
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic