Better than Xingyi

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Better than Xingyi

Postby Taijikid on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:59 am

Taijikid
Anjing

Re: Better than Xingyi

Postby nianfong on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:46 pm

we do animal movements as part of our shuaijiao warmup drills. BJJ guys do similar ones.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby meeks on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm

i hear this exercise is good for people who wear contact lenses...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Andy_S on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Interesting. The idea that humans have so many back problems because we have evolved from four legged to a bipedal species is not new, but I know of no other exercise routine that has specialized it taking us back to our four-legged, pre=human past.

I am familiar with a couple of the BJJ crawling routines...is there any footage out there of more detailed 4-legged regimens?

TIA
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Andy_S wrote:Interesting. The idea that humans have so many back problems because we have evolved from four legged to a bipedal species is not new, but I know of no other exercise routine that has specialized it taking us back to our four-legged, pre=human past.

Or maybe all the back problems come from people being fat as hell and never doing any exercise, developing bad posture from slouching all the time, and never strengthening the back and core muscles.

Chris Fleming

Postby Michael on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Design flaw = God's fault
Fat & lazy = my fault

Results of poll are design flaw because lazy people won't admit their own problems.

PS—Do I sound like John Wang?
Michael

Postby Alexander on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:01 am

Chris Fleming wrote:
Andy_S wrote:Interesting. The idea that humans have so many back problems because we have evolved from four legged to a bipedal species is not new, but I know of no other exercise routine that has specialized it taking us back to our four-legged, pre=human past.

Or maybe all the back problems come from people being fat as hell and never doing any exercise, developing bad posture from slouching all the time, and never strengthening the back and core muscles.

Yeah... an evolutionary theory for back problems is, imho, just ignorant of the facts.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 pm

I don't know about the evolutionary bit, but I agree 110% with the walking on all fours as exercise. That's why I generally don't buy that we were "designed" to work that way. It's far less efficient --which makes it great exercise, but useless for hunting food or ... just getting from place to place. It would be interesting to hear about studies that suggest why it helps alleviate back troubles.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:33 pm

it looks like it really could open the back up a bit. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'a martial art' though.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Steve Cotter and Pavel have included "forms" such as the Lizard Crawl, Bear Crawl, and the Dog Walk in their exercise material. Difficult body weight exercises indeed.
Chris Fleming

Postby Taijikid on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:35 pm

The chimpanzee thingy probably work like a half inversion table for your back! May be good for throws.
Taijikid
Anjing

Return to Off the Topic