Knives

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Knives

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 pm

I like how guys all plan to use their knives for 'camping' ;D

When was the last time any of us needed a knife at a camp site, let alone roughed it over a weekend?
Ian

Postby Craig on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 pm

about a month ago. it was a pain cos i kept having to borrow a knife. Going bow hunting next weekend. booyah
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:07 am

craig you don't count because you live in australia. everyone knows they do things differently down there.

Ian

Postby josh on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Fubo wrote:For us knife noobs (such as my self), what consists of a good quality knife? I ask because I've seen some knifes that look high quality, sharp and durable for under $100, then there are ones that are above $200. I can't tell the difference since to me they all look like they could gut a deer.

I'm a knife noob myself, but I think that the people's main concerns are things like: the kind of blade steel, the locking mechanism, the handle material, the ergonomics of the handle, size of the knife (especially for folders), position of the clip (lefty/righty, tip-up or tip-down), and the reputation/reliability of the company that made it.
Two good and relatively inexpensive folding knives that you can't really go wrong with IMHO are the Spyderco Delica and Benchmade mini Griptilian.
Last edited by josh on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Ian,

Those pics are a little inaccurate. Its more like this:

knives:

Hoop Snakes:

Drop Bears:

We also get taught a special mind trick that works on large animals in our way:
Craig
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 pm

i had a feeling that crocodile dundee was factual. thanks for confirming, craig.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:44 pm

josh wrote:
Fubo wrote:For us knife noobs (such as my self), what consists of a good quality knife? I ask because I've seen some knifes that look high quality, sharp and durable for under $100, then there are ones that are above $200. I can't tell the difference since to me they all look like they could gut a deer.

I'm a knife noob myself, but I think that the people's main concerns are things like: the kind of blade steel, the locking mechanism, the handle material, the ergonomics of the handle, size of the knife (especially for folders), position of the clip (lefty/righty, tip-up or tip-down), and the reputation/reliability of the company that made it.
Two good and relatively inexpensive folding knives that you can't really go wrong with IMHO are the Spyderco Delica and Benchmade mini Griptilian.

Thanks,
Craig
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Ian,

I use mine in about 5 to 10 camping trips a year. I wasn't aware that having and using a knife for camping, hiking, etc. was particularly unusual.
Chris McKinley

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:54 am

BTW, regarding the "Messer", that is actually a Grosse Messer. Messer just means knife. Grosse Messer just means Big Knife.

Messerschmidt, on the other hand means Knife Smith, which is a kind of bad ass name for a plane.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:12 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:BTW, regarding the "Messer", that is actually a Grosse Messer. Messer just means knife. Grosse Messer just means Big Knife.

Messerschmidt, on the other hand means Knife Smith, which is a kind of bad ass name for a plane.

especially the me-262 the worlds first operational jet fighter!

(even though the brits claim their later Gloucester meteor was, they actually stole the tech from hitlers boys)

The messerschmidts (bf109-110) were only challeneged by the british supermarine spitfire and the american p-51 mustang.
every other plane in the war was inferior and that was why the luftwaffe had made huge gains for the german military in the early years
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic