Knives

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Knives

Postby Andy_S on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:35 pm

A messer? That would make a mess, though it looks bloody heavy and possibly ill-balanced. Whence? It reminds me a bit of a falchion (ie a European copy of a scimitar, as encountered by Crusaders in the Middle East).

That reminds me, somone once opined that the Bowie was born when a mountain man saw a Chinese railroad gang boss with a dao, took it, cut it down and - voila! A blade is born. (I don't THINK he was being serious, though...)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Wanderingdragon,

If your primary concern is for basic camping, I'd actually recommend you consider going a little smaller than you're thinking here. Cool factor aside, large Bowies don't make particularly good knives for small camp chores. Cutting twine, rope, guy lines, whittling tent stakes...for chores like that you'll find a smaller knife much more controllable (i.e., safer) and you also won't have to deal with having a giant knife sheath hanging from your belt getting in the way while you're maneuvering, squatting, going in and out of tents, etc.

Bigger knives like most Bowies (not all) are better suited for chores like brush and limb clearing, chopping kindling, digging holes, prying, and situations in which you expect to find yourself outside of your actual campsite. For in camp, I rely on a small fixed blade or even a folder. The Bowies are for when I want to go traipsing further into the woods.
Chris McKinley

Postby Craig on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:22 pm

I would avoid anything that is 440 stainless. I have snapped a sword and seen two knives break. The sword snapped while i was practicing cutting strokes on a soft palm branch. Almost wore the end in my eye.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 am

A messer? That would make a mess, though it looks bloody heavy and possibly ill-balanced.

Surprisingly, that messer feels light and well balanced.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

5160 tempered to 52 - 54 rockwell is opti for large camp knives

I only ever take a small fixed blade and an axe
Last edited by BruceP on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:52 pm

Spyderco hands down got 6 love them all...he likes them too...
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 pm

In my go-bag, I have one of these.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Craig
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm

for general purpose stuff, i like my skeletool:

bonus: the clip at the end makes a fine bottle opener!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 pm

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/coldsteel/

A add for- and some good information on the cold steel laredo, the cold steel natchez a huge bowie is also discussed at the bottom of the page.
Last edited by Chanchu on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm

stainless steel, steel etc etc comes in all sorts of alloys. Many of which are inappropriate for use as quality weapons.

using alloy numbering system is often just confusing.

for instance:

alloy 304 and alloy 316 stainless steel are preferred for use with exterior applications. So, stainless steel signs are goo dto make out of these.

If you are making signs or bus shelters out of stainless, then alloy 316 is preferred because it resists salt corrosion but alloy 304 doesn't.

see what I mean? Many of these numbers have no meaning when it comes to weapons.

What you really want is hand forged, hand hammered, as pure steel as it can get under those conditions.

anyone that goes on about alloy this or that in regards to weaponry isn't concerned with the actual formation and use of the weapon.

weight and lack of brittleness are the key points of concern to the person who will wield it. Not whether or not it will rust if it sits for a long time. A well used sword will not rust. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Wanderingdragon,

If your primary concern is for basic camping, I'd actually recommend you consider going a little smaller than you're thinking here. Cool factor aside, large Bowies don't make particularly good knives for small camp chores. Cutting twine, rope, guy lines, whittling tent stakes...for chores like that you'll find a smaller knife much more controllable (i.e., safer) and you also won't have to deal with having a giant knife sheath hanging from your belt getting in the way while you're maneuvering, squatting, going in and out of tents, etc.

Bigger knives like most Bowies (not all) are better suited for chores like brush and limb clearing, chopping kindling, digging holes, prying, and situations in which you expect to find yourself outside of your actual campsite. For in camp, I rely on a small fixed blade or even a folder. The Bowies are for when I want to go traipsing further into the woods.

I've got a coupla fairly decent buck knives and an army surplus combat blade, I was interested in something a little more sturdy, durable and reliable, for some deeper woods traipsing , thanks
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:30 pm

For us knife noobs (such as my self), what consists of a good quality knife? I ask because I've seen some knifes that look high quality, sharp and durable for under $100, then there are ones that are above $200. I can't tell the difference since to me they all look like they could gut a deer.
Fubo
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic