Slo-Flo: Christian Alternative to Taiji

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Slo-Flo: Christian Alternative to Taiji

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 am

What it says on the box:

Kick stress and get in shape with Slo Flo! Slo Flo is the Christian Alternative to Tai Chi using movements from the Yang Long Series combined with sentences of praise and worship in American Sign Language. Slo Flo gets rid of stress by rooting your feet, relaxing your mind and edifying your spirit. It is pleasant to do but also amazingly effective as a fitness system for anyone from beginners just getting into shape, to elite athletes. Slo Flo is a powerful cross-training activity for flexibility, proper body mechanics and mental preparation for competitive athletes or just for the battles of life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-I4OU1R ... re=related

And there is more where that came from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq98Zo8TRYk&NR=1

Bit of a puker all round if you ask me - why do Christians need an 'alternative' to Taiji? There is nothing inherently religious in the practice.

Or do such peeps do everthing in a Christian manner" - eg "On Water: A Christian approach to walking;" "Five Thousand: A Christian Approach to Baking Bread and Frying Fish." "Do the Crucifix! Gymnastics for Christians," etc, etc.

Still, given that Alex was asking about spirituality in MA on the main board, I suppose this is a legitimate approach for the seriously religious. (And yes, I think these people would indeeed consider their religion to be spiritual)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: Slo-Flo: Christian Alternative to Taiji

Postby Strange on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 am

her her her
is there like also light and heavy flo? what about eddie's evenflo?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:40 am

ummmmm....... ok then....
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am

Isn't there a plug for heavy flow ?
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:09 am

More targeted marketing... nothing new under the sun.

Some are apparently already practicing it, too!

They could have done a much better job with hand positions though... I would include pressing palms together in front of chest, raising both hands to the sky, drawing crosses in the air, etc. Would sell a lot better IMO.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 am

It all comes down wanting to feel justified in one's religious choice through confirmation of its symbols - rather than using the exercise to directly EXPERIENCE that which the symbols point to.

It totally missed the point.
alexsuffolk

Postby cdobe on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 am

My favourite posture is Single Scourge
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 am

Piquan
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 am

alexsuffolk wrote:It all comes down wanting to feel justified in one's religious choice through confirmation of its symbols - rather than using the exercise to directly EXPERIENCE that which the symbols point to.

It totally missed the point.

Totally agree.

Personally, when I think of spirituality within religion I think of the Sufis, or the Taize. Still, I suppose at least they're getting exercise.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bill on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:42 am

cdobe wrote:Piquan

Us Catholics have renamed it the "Heavenly Palm".

Last edited by Bill on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:23 am

The Slo-Mo gig passes from the ridiculous to the absurd. While I understand that these folks may be members of specific Fundamentalist Christian church organizations which erroneously view anything and everything born in Asian culture as incompatible with their religious beliefs, and perhaps even inherently evil as well, their incredible ignorance of what Tai-Chi Chuan is really all about is astounding nonetheless! :o

I can say from personal experience with these kinds of prejudices, that it is far quicker and easier to simply inform such folks that Tai-Chi Chuan has nothing whatsoever to do with religious dogma or practices, but is practiced instead for totally unrelated reasons and benefits. In the event that they choose to continue believing otherwise, it is completely their problem alone. I choose not to make it my problem. Next! ;)

Any attempt to re-package Tai-Chi, Yoga, Meditation, or any other art of non-Western origin in order to make these practices seem more acceptable to narrow minded individuals, essentially validates their misinformed prejudices from the start. ::)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm surprised nobody adapted bagua from some pagan heretical "8 gates" to the holy 6 corners of the star of David.

The various "adapt a martial art for a religion" markets await you, MA entrepreneurs!! ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 pm

2nd Pope Piquan was much better, sunk elbow and more through the back force, see why he got the job!
alexsuffolk

Postby klonk on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Well, I don't like what I see, above, of Slo-Flo, but for another reason. It trivializes some aspects of the gospel by naming taiji moves after them, and describes the whole practice in over-spiritual terms.

It is understandable, though, to want to make a clear separation between Christian beliefs and the lurking power pantheism behind BAD taiji. I refer to the lin kong jin nonsense which is, plainly, a superstitious aberration. When offering things to the public it is well to make a big separation from what you don't endorse.

As for GOOD taiji, there is still some chance that the classical theory used to describe it will be taken for more than what it is and entails. Westerners are prone to do this. Here again you don't want to seem to promote something that leads to misunderstanding.

In my own case, I am not a pantheist and look at the classical theory of a universally enabling life force as reflecting a cultural and religious context in which the idea arose. I do not believe it but respect it, if that makes any sense. If it is true, it is certainly an incomplete description of 'things unseen.' It is not at all a complete analog for the idea of spirit (breath, pnuema, ruach) as a Christian would look at it, though it may share some similarities and even some sources of inspiration through experience.

So, while I think there is a reason for Christians to scrutinize some spiritual overtones attached to taiji, to make sure they are not misleading anyone, or misleading themselves, I think it could be done better, much better, than what I just saw. In fact, I disliked the Slo-Flo promo a good deal.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:32 pm

Wholy Fit is out of Houston, so there's another option for Zhong Kui seeking a kwoon.
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic