Vaccines-an update

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Vaccines-an update

Postby Interloper on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Swine flu is sooooo 1970s. In 1976 or thereabouts there was a big swine flu scare in the U.S., and thousands of doses of vaccine were sent to colleges and universities, and we students were urged to get the shot. Panic was rampant in the media, with TV, newspapers and radio (no Internet back then... imagine!) blarning their reports nonstop.

So, I got the shot, and 10 minutes after almost passed out from a reaction to the vaccine. That's the closest thing to swine flu I saw, however, and within a few months the scare had blown over and swine flu panic didn't raise its head again until this past year. ::) If they make getting the vaccine mandatory here in Mass. (where having health insurance is also mandatory... unless you're a LEGAL immigrant, in which case they will not subsidize your insurance if you're poor, so you're not required to buy coverage), I will get pretty pissed. Far more important to get a pneumonia shot.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:21 pm

I strongly suggest if you are considering taking the swine flu vaccine, or giving it to your children, that you watch the 60 Minutes report from 1979 about what happened when the US Govt pushed 46 million citizens to take a similar vaccine. This report says 4000 people got Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, but I think even that is a very conservative number. Also, at least 50 people died from the vaccine. There had been only one reported death from the swine flu, a soldier who was sick but forced to exercise when he was unfit to do so. Many more people were killed or seriously injured by the vaccine than by the 1976 swine flu itself.

This page has a transcript of the 60 Minutes report with Mike Wallace from 1979.
Here is the 14 minute report on video, plus 2 minutes of the TV ads warning people to take the shot.
For those who prefer youtube, you can find the same 60 Minutes report in two pieces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJyUgt7lY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVaXJXXBhg
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 am

Michael wrote:I strongly suggest if you are considering taking the swine flu vaccine, or giving it to your children, that you watch the 60 Minutes report from 1979 about what happened when the US Govt pushed 46 million citizens to take a similar vaccine. This report says 4000 people got Guillaine-Barre Syndrome, but I think even that is a very conservative number. Also, at least 50 people died from the vaccine. There had been only one reported death from the swine flu, a soldier who was sick but forced to exercise when he was unfit to do so. Many more people were killed or seriously injured by the vaccine than by the 1976 swine flu itself.

This page has a transcript of the 60 Minutes report with Mike Wallace from 1979.
Here is the 14 minute report on video, plus 2 minutes of the TV ads warning people to take the shot.
For those who prefer youtube, you can find the same 60 Minutes report in two pieces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJyUgt7lY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVaXJXXBhg

dude, really? You are citing information from 30 years ago? really?

Hey, if you contract syphilis why not jump back into a time machine before they had a cure and see how that works out. ::)

see what kind of sense that makes?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Your comments are more and more bizarre. If I do find a time machine, I'll be sure to get you a ticket to a time and place where strawmen are well fed, because it's not going to work here.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am

Children Who Get the Flu Vaccine Have Three Times Risk Of Hospitalization For Flu, Study Suggests

From the study, which can be downloaded here.
CONCLUSION:
1) TIV [trivalent inactivated flu vaccine] did not provide any protection against hospitalization in pediatric subjects' esp. children with asthma. On the contrary, we found a 3- fold increased risk of hospitalization in subjects who did get the TIV vaccine.This may be a reflection not only of the vaccine effectiveness but also the population of children who are more likely to get the vaccine.

Emphasis is mine.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:34 am

Manitoba alters flu shot plans

Provinces have been reviewing their vaccination plans since Canadian researchers announced last week that preliminary results of a study suggest people who had received the seasonal flu vaccine in the past were twice as likely to get the pandemic swine flu virus. The research has not yet been peer reviewed or published.

Seasonal flu shot may increase H1N1 risk
Preliminary research suggests the seasonal flu shot may put people at greater risk for getting swine flu, CBC News has learned.

"This is some evidence that has been floated. It hasn't been validated yet, it's very preliminary," cautioned Dr. Don Low, microbiologist-in-chief at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 am

1.The research has not yet been peer reviewed or published.

2. "may"

3. "It hasn't been validated yet, it's very preliminary"

Mount Sinai is a Class A hospital. Globally.
Mostly speculation is what that all amounts to Michael.

My point was that the vaccine being used is new and uses technologies that are pretty much light years ahead of what was known and available in 1976, and so, it is weird that someone would cite such old data. It is akin to flat earth type referencing. :)

just pointin it out.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 am

It's not speculation, it's a study that's been completed. It goes along quite well with the study I posted right above it saying there is a 300% greater risk for vaccine recipients to actually get the flu.

What is it about vaccines that you think has changed since 1976 that is similar to comparing current geographical knowledge to pre-1492 levels?
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 am

Michael wrote:It's not speculation, it's a study that's been completed. It goes along quite well with the study I posted right above it saying there is a 300% greater risk for vaccine recipients to actually get the flu.

What is it about vaccines that you think has changed since 1976 that is similar to comparing current geographical knowledge to pre-1492 levels?

Michael, read your own quoted references in your posts. It is speculative and theorized, unpublished and not peer reviewed.

300% you say? where is that data coming from? you got a link?

as for anaphylaxis, yes that can definitely occur and is a concern when dealing with any vaccine whatsoever because there is always going to be a percentage of the population who doesn't know they are allergic that will be adversely effected.

As I said before, they are working hard to solution the problem of marrying the regular flu vaccine with teh swine flu vaccine.

so far i haven't heard a lot about success with it here in Canuckistan. But as soon as I do, I will be happy to contribute further to this thread. :)
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 am

as an aside, I understand that vaccine science is not perfect and can indeed cause problems. But it has also solved quite a lot of problems.

It is important for people to be well informed. It is detrimental when joe nobody and his irrational fear gets listened to over and above the actual people who are working on the solution to an all too natural problem in our population that is viral disease.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 am

Darth, no offense, but there's no reason to respond to you any longer in this thread. I sort of hope Mike Strong comes back so I can vicariously enjoy his putting you on IGNORE. ;D
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 am

Hepatitis B Vaccine Triples Risk of Autism in Infant Boys

A new study has shown that giving Hepatitis B vaccine to newborn baby boys more than triples their risk of developing an autism spectrum disorder.

Sources:
Age of Autism September 17, 2009
Annals of Epidemiology September 2009: 19(9); 659
Michael

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:20 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:Actually the flu vaccines in general have never been proven to actually reduce the number of cases of flu.

can you provide the data that confirms that?
I bet you can't.

Why would there be a vaccine process if it didn't work?

Do you think medical science is about killing people or helping them?

These types of statements are pretty out there.

Its about making money.

Its also a fact that vaccines don't reduce total number of cases unless administered to 95% of the population. There is data out there to prove it but I will trust my old college prof who told me that one.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 am

Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 am

YOu guys forget that when teh smallpox vaccine was perfected the goal was to wipe it our worldwide.

The last holdouts were some superstitious people in villages in India.

Unfortunately and fortunately for them, the last few of em were held down and forced to have the vaccine.

But, is smallpox a problem anymore? no.

also:
Vaccines have eliminated smallpox and have nearly eliminated other infections, such as polio and measles, that were once common childhood scourges in the United States. Despite this success, it is important for health care practitioners to continue to vaccinate children. Many of the diseases prevented by vaccination are still present in the United States and remain common in other parts of the world. These diseases can spread rapidly among unvaccinated children, who, because of the ease of modern travel, can be exposed even if they live in areas where a disease is not common.

No vaccine is 100% effective and 100% safe. A few vaccinated children fail to become immune, and a few develop side effects. Most often, the side effects are minor, such as pain at the injection site, an itchy rash, or a mild fever. Very rarely, there are more serious problems. Vaccines are continuously undergoing improvements to ensure safety and effectiveness. Recent improvements include the use of acellular pertussis (DTaP), which has a much lower chance of causing side effects than the previously used whole-cell pertussis (DPT) vaccine, and the use of an inactivated, injectable polio vaccine (IVP) instead of the previously used oral polio vaccine. The oral polio vaccine, which is made of a live, weakened virus, can cause polio if the weakened virus mutates, which happens once in every 2.4 million children. Although this is an extremely small chance, it led doctors in the United States to completely switch to the injectable polio vaccine. Febrile seizures (seizures that are triggered by a fever) have occurred in about 3 in 10,000 children after receiving the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine. Although the public press has reported concerns that the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine may produce autism, scientific evidence shows that this does not happen.

Here's all the vaccinations most of us have had:

Yes, there will be complications in some people. Does that mean vaccination should be eradicated?
I believe that would be absurd.

refuse your vaccinations if you want to, but be responsible as well and stay out of the public places if you choose to go that route.
It's pretty simple.

p.s Michael, feel free to live in your topsy turvy world of alternative news and black ops projects....ooooooo scary stuff. lol.

I on the other hand will live in the larger, much more inviting REAL world where the majority of us live good lives and don't fear our governments or our police or health care providers.

I gotta say, I sorta feel sorry for people that live with that state of mind where everyone is out to get them. What a strange existence that must be.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic