cold water

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: cold water

Postby qiphlow on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:53 am

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 am

For brother Qiphlow...

'cos I know he likes that kind of thing :D

(For the antidote, please see http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ ... 700914.jpg)

Now, where were we...oh yes, ice cold water. Well, when I was living on Riverside Drive N.Y. in the 70s, I took to ice cold showers in winter - and I do mean ICE cold. After the initial shock and anguish, I felt a wonderful new sense of vitality, and actually began to look forward to my few minutes of daily torture.

That was, of course , a long time ago, and I have now become a very soft shite :-*

..."There are three universal personality characteristics that comprise the psychologically “hardy” individual...Control, Commitment and Challenge...these three attributes...(make) the difference between a highly stressed individual thriving or becoming ill. Survivors...viewed stress as a challenge and maintained their sense of control over events by actively engaging themselves in such situations, practicing the act of commitment and control through their volition. Those more prone to illness, were “comfort-seekers” who found excuses to avoid pain and discomfort.
...Confidence...(plays) a key role in pain tolerance. The more familiar an individual (becomes) with an activity, the more pain (he is) able to withstand within that activity.
...This idea of stress inoculation teaches the practitioner to counter “learned helplessness” with self-control. Research has shown that this technique is even more effective when the subject volunteers for the pain or in some way controls it, as we do in dousing. Research has also shown that continued, controlled exposure to stress in a safe environments, teaches the body to become more effective at dispersing secreted stress chemicals (like adrenalin and cortisol) and with conditioning, the body learns to return to normal baseline chemical levels more quickly, thereby avoiding many of the chemicals injuries that can occur ranging from the jitters to full-fledged post traumatic stress disorders. For this reason, dousing becomes more effective every day as its cumulative effects are collected."

This is all excellent stuff, notwithstanding the warnings about cold showers rather than dousing. It's worth noting that genetic traits and early upbringing have a bearing on how one responds to this sort of conditioning. My father's natural physical hardiness, for instance, was due to his part-Scots descent and having gone to an unheated English boarding school where the boys had to hack out winter ice from the washbasins. Doubtless as a result, he never felt any cold, nor do I remember him ever having caught a cold.
Last edited by lazyboxer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 am

Well, that put me off my lunch. Thanks. ::)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 pm

GrahamB wrote:Well, that put me off my lunch. Thanks. ::)

view the antidote. it helps.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:20 pm

qiphlow wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Well, that put me off my lunch. Thanks. ::)

view the antidote. it helps.

But - it's still there when I scroll up to get to the antidote - ARGH! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic