man beaten during break-in gets shot in defense lessons

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

man beaten during break-in gets shot in defense lessons

Postby meeks on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:20 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091003/koddities/us_odd_man_s_tough_week
Ohio man beaten during break-in is accidentally shot 4 days later during self-defence lesson

GROVEPORT, Ohio - An 80-year-old Ohio man is recovering from a week in which he was beaten during a home invasion and then shot while trying to learn about guns.

Ralph Needs says he wouldn't want anyone to experience what he's been through. He was tied up and pistol-whipped when at least three intruders broke into his Columbus-area home Sept. 20, according to The Columbus Dispatch newspaper. Needs' nose was broken and his pickup truck, a computer and credit cards were stolen.

Four days later, Needs was shot in the hand during a self-defence lesson. A 9 mm pistol went off as one of his sons was loading it.

Groveport police say it was an accident, so there will be no charges. No one has been arrested in the assault, but one person was charged in connection with the stolen computer, now recovered.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Re: man beaten during break-in gets shot in defense lessons

Postby cerebus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:27 pm

People who accidentally shoot others are idiots. I mean really, I was a law enforcement officer for 4 years and handled loaded weapons on an almost daily basis, and I STILL can't figure out HOW someone shoots themselves or someone else while loading/ unloading or cleaning a weapon, unless they are entirely stooopid... ???
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Okay, so I answered my own question...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:45 pm

You should go to professionals for gun training. Ask at gun shops or shooting ranges. In the USA, NRA sponsored courses are uniformly good, if basic. If your state has a mandated course for a concealed carry ticket, the course is good training whether you intend to carry, or not.

Sounds like that guy just asked his son to show him how and the son was a putz.

Here is an initial clue: http://www.squidoo.com/gunsafety Follow this up with a well conceived formal course or two and you're good to go.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Sure, but simple common sense (not so common) solves many problems. Like ALWAYS check to see if it's loaded before you handle it and NEVER point a weapon (loaded or not) at someone unless you intend to shoot them. Two simple rules and so much trouble averted...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Studies have revealed that most "accidental" shootings happened after arguments about whether or not gay penguins should be allowed to adopt. The shooter is usually con and holding matches.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Well at least the old man doesn't have to worry about anyone robbing him anymore. ;)
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic