Walking or Biking to School Forbidden Since 1994

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Walking or Biking to School Forbidden Since 1994

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 am

School district could backpedal on policy

The biking debate started last spring, when school district officials told Kaddo Marino that Adam was violating school rules by biking to class. Walking to the school also is not permitted.

When the pair stuck with their plan, they were met by school administrators and a state trooper, who emphasized that biking was prohibited, Kaddo Marino said.

[sarcastic commentary=on]
However I did hear that flying a kite is permitted after 6 weeks of accident-avoidance training, safety equipment purchases and inspections, and a multi-interview permit process is completed. It should only take 4 months and $750, which are estimates since no one has been granted a permit yet.
[/sarcasm]
Michael

Re: Walking or Biking to School Forbidden Since 1994

Postby fuga on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:37 am

Yesterday was International Bike or Walk to School Day. Some 200 kids partook yesterday from my kid's elementary school. We are also part of a program called Safe Routes to Schools (the national model was created in my home town) that encourages kids to ride or walk and improves crosswalks, pays for crossing guards, and educates the parents.

It is a strange state of affairs when someone riding their bike to school is committing an act of civil disobedience.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am

uh, where is this? wtf?

*edit* nevermind.

comment: that is possibly the stupidest fucking policy I've seen this week.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:00 pm

This is in Saratoga Springs, New York, about 35 miles north of the capitol in Albany.
Michael

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Thats what happens when liberal bleeding hearts make policies. Let the children be hit by cars, its called natural selection.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:39 pm

There are options in-between running children down and banning normal modes of travel. Perhaps you were joking, but "natural selection" has nothing to do with it, IMO.
Michael

Return to Off the Topic