peace prize to obama?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: peace prize to obama?

Postby I-mon on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm

what a fucking joke.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:56 am

I think it was supposed to consolidate his being "The One", but seems to have backfired.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:33 am

I think there are a lot of people who are projecting their own shit onto Obama.

The npp committee is some of them.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am

OBAMA WINS 2010 BOSTON MARATHON
2009 Oct 18 from Nance, [email protected]

BOSTON - President Barack Obama won the 2010 Boston Marathon on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage him to quit smoking and keep running to stay in shape. The Boston Athletic Association announced their decision to name Obama the winner even though the race will not be run until 18 April 2010 because the president has the desire to win and has good intentions.

In announcing Obama the winner the president of the BAA said, "We must rise above the out dated measurements of what a person actually has accomplished and focus instead on their intentions and what they say they will do. Intentions and talk are what drive the world." Congressman Barney Frank and Chinese Vice President XI Jinping seated nearby reiterated these words.

The BAA also noted that no president has won the marathon before. This would set a good example for all future presidents of the United States and for other countries such as Iran and North Korea that intentions really matter.

Many observers were shocked by the unexpected decision before the race has even been run. However, when told of his win the President said he had really been thinking a lot about keeping in shape, talked with staff about cutting back on his smoking, and even read an article about the Boston Marathon.

Obama added that wining the Boston Marathon was better than any other award he has received including his Nobel Prize, Tony for best performance by leading actor, Emmy for outstanding lead actor in drama series, Golden Globe for best performance of an actor in a comedy, NASCAR Champion, World Series Most Valuable Player, Best TwitterPage, and Teleprompters of America Best Reader.
Michael

Postby Sprint on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 am

Just so as we're clear http://file.wikileaks.org/file/cia-afghanistan.pdf winning this prize has meant so much to our great leader.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 am

Consider the following recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize:

Heinz Kissinger - who purposely extended the Vietnam war for profit

Al Gore - who saved us all from man-bear-pig

Obama - who reneged on his promise to stop bombing people in foreign lands &
bring the troops home

War is being sold and awarded as peace. We are there and have been there for a long time.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 am

actually, a "peace prize" with Alfred Nobel's name on it is a fucking joke to begin with.

the guy invented the way forward to quickly exterminate thousands after all.

He came up with the peace prize to downplay the fact that he was the father of weapons of mass destruction.

they aren't awarded for peace, they are awarded to those who make war.

just look at the list of winners.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Fu Mei on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 am

Could it be that only a recipient of the NPP would be able to "legitimately" bomb Iran in order to bring about peace?
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 am

Obama - who reneged on his promise to stop bombing people in foreign lands & bring the troops home

Hmm, he never said that. He was criticized for even putting a time frame on withdrawals from Iraq. And, he said all through the campaign that he would send more troops to Afghanistan.

Deserve the peace prize? Probably not, except for the fact that he is the first President to suggest that Muslims and Muslim countries should be talked to, even those we don't like.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:42 am

Steve James wrote:
Obama - who reneged on his promise to stop bombing people in foreign lands & bring the troops home

Hmm, he never said that.

Chris Fleming

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 am

The last one was interesting. It's a montage of clips from different times, and not in chronological order. No matter, my point was that his timetable for withdrawal from Iraq was opposed (and particularly by those he ran against) and he said that he would send more troops to Afghanistan. It is true about military advisors remaining (as well as air and land bases). I don't recall anyone suggesting that the military presence would be removed --though I agree that it is what most people think of when it comes to a withdrawal.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:54 am

No, your point was that he didn't say it. He clearly did. And ran for presidency with that as a platform. I know you come on here to practice your rhetoric but at least admit when you posted something that wasn't true.
Chris Fleming

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 am

Sorry, just had to google

By Christa Case Bryant, Staff writer / February 27, 2009

The venue speaks volumes.

President Obama announced today his plans for withdrawing US troops from Iraq. He did it from North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune, where thousands of Marines are preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. (You can read his speech here.)

This is as much a message to Americans as it is Europeans: We have a new priority.

Mr. Obama has already made clear to European countries that he’d like to see a more robust NATO presence in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban, whose influence has been growing steadily in many regions.

In signaling an end of Iraq combat missions by Aug. 31, 2010, Obama is compromising between his campaign promise to withdraw within 16 months – showing his willingness to listen to his military commanders, some of whom had pressed for a later deadline.

The situation in Iraq has improved dramatically due to three factors:
- The US and Iraqi military surge
- Many Sunnis turning against Al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) to work with US forces
- Cease-fire among the Shiite militia known as the Mahdi Army

In a forward-looking piece that kicked off the Monitor's 2009 Iraq coverage, the Monitor’s Jane Arraf noted that the number of Iraqis killed in attacks dropped more than 50 percent in 2008 from the year before – though the rate is still high: an estimated 6,700 to 8,000 Iraqi deaths.

How fragile is Iraq's progress?
But some experts are concerned that that progress toward greater security could be reversed when US troops withdraw. Austin Long, a counterinsurgency expert at the RAND Corp. in Washington, told the Monitor’s Tom Peter recently:

If he brought them all home tomorrow, though, no one would change his or her mind. I think that there are others who deserve the peace prize (money) more than a president. I agree that it's almost a paradox to give it to someone who's promoting any kind of war. I also think that there's a difference between "lying" and making promises that one can't deliver. But, like I said, if it's about who deserves a prize, I agree that it ain't Obama. If you ask me who is or has been the biggest liar, that's another thing. And, I am sure that all politicians lie, too

Well, at least he gave his money to some worthy causes --don't you think?
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release March 11, 2010
The President Donates Nobel Prize Money to Charity

WASHINGTON – President Obama today announced the charities that will receive a portion of the $1.4 million award that comes with the Nobel peace prize.

“These organizations do extraordinary work in the United States and abroad helping students, veterans and countless others in need,” said President Obama. “I’m proud to support their work.”

List of Charities

$250,000 to Fisher House

Fisher House is a national non-profit organization that provides housing for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers.

$200,000 to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund

In the wake of the devastating earthquake in Haiti, President Obama asked former Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton to create the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund to raise funds for long-term relief efforts in Haiti.

$125,000 to College Summit

College Summit is a national non-profit organization that partners with high schools to strengthen college-going culture and increase college enrollment rates, so that all students graduate from high school career and college-ready.

$125,000 to the Posse Foundation

The Posse Foundation is a national non-profit organization that identifies public high school students with extraordinary academic and leadership potential who may be overlooked by traditional college selection processes. Posse’s college and university partners award Posse Scholars four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships. The scholars graduate at a rate of 90 percent.

$125,000 to the United Negro College Fund

The United Negro College Fund plays a critical role in enabling more than 60,000 students each year to attend college through scholarship and internship programs.

$125,000 to the Hispanic Scholarship Fund

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF) is the nation's leading Hispanic scholarship organization, providing the Hispanic community more college scholarships and educational outreach support than any other organization in the country. In its 34 year history, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund has awarded close to $280M in scholarships to more than 90,000 students in need.

$125,000 to the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation

A non-profit organization funded by foundations and companies, ALEF supports and enables young men and women from Appalachia to pursue higher education though scholarship and leadership curriculum.

$125,000 to the American Indian College Fund

The American Indian College Fund transforms Indian higher education by funding and creating awareness of the unique, community-based accredited Tribal Colleges and Universities, offering students access to knowledge, skills, and cultural values which enhance their communities and the country as a whole. The Fund disburses approximately 6,000 scholarships annually for American Indian students seeking to better their lives through higher education. The Fund also provides support for tribal college needs, ranging from capital support to cultural preservation curricula.

$100,000 to AfriCare

AfriCare was founded in 1970 and has more projects in Africa than any other U.S. based charity, reaching communities in 25 countries, primarily in Sub-Saharan Africa. Its programs address needs in three principal areas: health and HIV/AIDS; food security and agriculture; and water resource development.

$100,000 to the Central Asia Institute

The Central Asia Institute promotes and supports community-based education and literacy, especially for girls, in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan. The Institute’s co-founder, Greg Mortenson, was also a Nobel Peace Prize nominee this year, whose book, Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace, One School at a Time, recounts his attempt to successfully establish dozens of schools and promote girls’ education in rural Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

I think the interesting thing is the guy who blew the whistle on Israel's secret nuclear weapons arsenal, he's constantly getting nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and is constantly turning it down because he doesn't want to be associated with the Israeli leaders that have gotten Nobel Peace Prizes while they've knowingly presided over a nuclear weapons program. He's a stand up guy. Forget his name though.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby yieldingxxx on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 am

As far as I'm concerned, Obama deserves the NPP just for being the first African American president of the USA. Certainly, that is an outstanding achievment for our times, and represents real progress in this country.
yieldingxxx
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic