DB's instead of KB's

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

DB's instead of KB's

Postby everything on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I don't have kettlebells and given the expense don't play to buy them now unless I happen across someone getting rid of some.

So, pretty much I'm gonna substitute DB's... any particular KB exercise you think really must be done with KB's? It doesn't work so well for DB's?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: DB's instead of KB's

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:48 pm

I'd say the snatch is best with kettlebells, and that's a big one to miss out on. KB's are a better tool for the job because they flip around the hand like that. You could certainly do it with DB's but again it's a matter of having the right tool for the job. You could use a pair of pliers as a wrench but it isn't as good. Swings are somewhat like this too but I've done swings with a heavy DB and the only thing was there was even less room for my hands but that was manageable.

It's all good though. DB's work well for nearly everything else. Check craigslist if anyone around you is unloading some KB's.
Chris Fleming

Postby everything on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:27 pm

thanks. what do you think of this one:

seems like it'd be better with KB's. I tried it with DB's but didn't get the pull out effect from them.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Never tried that but it looks cool. Yeah I would think that this would be another instance of KB's being the better method.

As for DB's, I find it funny to see someone post from time to time on the dragondoor forum about how they can press a 32kilo KB but had a hard time pressing a 70lbs DB and they are all like "WTF". The two have slightly different grooves when it comes to pressing but they both build excellent strength. The point is to press something over your head, be it a DB', KB or barbell.

Personally I've been doing the double DB clean and press because I don't want to go out and buy more KB's yet. That and it is easier to progress with DB's because of the comparatively smaller jumps in weight.
Chris Fleming

Postby Neuro on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:00 pm

I find that olympic DBs (with rotating collars) feel awesome for snatches, but like the k-bell more for cleans, swings, and all the silly things like halos and bottoms up presses etc.

Anyone else us olympic DBs??
Neuro
Santi

Return to Off the Topic