Vigilant gun owner defends home from intruder!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Vigilant gun owner defends home from intruder!

Postby emre on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 pm

emre
Mingjing

Re: Vigilant gun owner defends home from intruder!

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:19 am

emre wrote:http://www.clickorlando.com/news/21247494/detail.html

Cold feet?
Michael

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 am

Chanchu wrote:http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-SelfDefense-Examiner~y2009m10d4-Armed-NC-man-defends-himself-against-revengeseeking-home-invader

http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-SelfDef ... lf-defense

http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-SelfDef ... tore-owner

After reading these articles, I will apparently have to preface everything I say in the future with, "I took out my self defense gun..." :)
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 am

That's just so sad. I really feel for the old man... What a horrible situation. :'(

Michael wrote:Cold feet?

what do you mean?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 am

Possibility that he shot her on purpose because he didn't really want to get married. I think people know when their loved ones are coming into their house. Without explanation about why you would shoot anyone without some kind of verbal warning, perhaps because the police didn't provide the info., it doesn't make sense that he would fire the gun without recognizing his fiance. Unless he's off his rocker somehow.

Anyway, could have been accidental, but just as likely done on purpose.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:47 am

No chance. Did you read the article, he was "sobbing loudly" throughout the 911 call.

'I haven’t seen anything to suggest there were any domestic problems. I’ve been told they were a great couple. The gentleman is very distraught.'

(source)

This is the saddest damn thing ever... :'(

RIP and all the very best to the man... he's got one hell of a horrible thing to live with now.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:52 am

It's possible. But, it's interesting that people would prefer to think that a guy would kill his fiancee and claim it was an accident, rather than go through with the wedding. It is possible, but ... "I don't love you any more" seems so much simpler, or just don't show up.

If it was an accident --and it wouldn't be the first-- I feel sorry for the guy. I can see how someone can get startled in their home by a family member. If he did it on purpose, he should be punished. Now, how to prove he did it intentionally is another thing. They'll need a good motive. They weren't married, so insurance and property might not be issues. If there was a young hoochie on the side, that gives him even less motive. If they've had a history of violence or a big argument recently, that'd be a start.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Harvey on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 am

I doubt that when you reach your 60's you'd be so insecure that you couldn't man up about stuff like that. It does sound like a terrible accidnet, feel sorry for the dude.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 am

I don't know why he ever fired the gun. He acquired and shot an unidentified target yet he wasn't under attack, returning fire or even threatened physically or verbally. I wouldn't call that an accident. IMO that was completely reckless with a fatal result.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:04 am

dragontigerpalm wrote:IMO that was completely reckless with a fatal result.

Agreed.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:15 am

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:13 pm

As for motive - it is the opposite of what we have been
led to believe by TV and movies. Motive is used to determine suspects
but is not an element in a murder trial. Having served as a juror on a capital
murder trial the judge directly instructed that motive is not a point to be proven
in capital murder.
roger hao

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:58 pm

would you agree that lack of motive would have some weight though?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm

I've never served on a capital murder trial, but I just got through serving on a bribery case. It boiled down to a "he says -she says" case. I.e., a cop said that a storeowner had tried to bribe him ... because he had caught her peddling bootleg dvds. There was no evidence for the bribery except cash the officer said was offered him. The prosecutor stressed that the reason for the bribe was the crime that had been committed. There were two charges; the judge didn't instruct us to ignore the bribe. But, we found that there wasn't enough evidence to convict on that charge. But, the woman was still fined for the bootlegs.

Anyway, afaik, motive is not a charge, nor a criminal offense --except in conspiracy cases. Planning to commit a murder is also against the law, as we've seen in many "sting" operations. In this case, however, if the guy is charged --and he will if it can be shown that he intentionally shot his wife-- then, his motives for that intention will be addressed, even if they aren't evidence Otoh, he could have every reason to kill her, but not have intended to do so.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic