The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate

Postby Bill on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm

More than a year after an explosion of sparks, soot and frigid helium shut it down, the world’s biggest and most expensive physics experiment, known as the Large Hadron Collider, is poised to start up again. In December, if all goes well, protons will start smashing together in an underground racetrack outside Geneva in a search for forces and particles that reigned during the first trillionth of a second of the Big Bang.

Then it will be time to test one of the most bizarre and revolutionary theories in science. I’m not talking about extra dimensions of space-time, dark matter or even black holes that eat the Earth. No, I’m talking about the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, Japan, put this idea forward in a series of papers with titles like “Test of Effect From Future in Large Hadron Collider: a Proposal” and “Search for Future Influence From LHC,” posted on the physics Web site arXiv.org in the last year and a half.

“It must be our prediction that all Higgs producing machines shall have bad luck,” Dr. Nielsen said in an e-mail message. In an unpublished essay, Dr. Nielson said of the theory, “Well, one could even almost say that we have a model for God.” It is their guess, he went on, “that He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them.”

This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent, an event so unlikely that Dr. Nielsen calls it an “anti-miracle.”

Complete Article here ... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/scien ... .html?_r=2
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate

Postby qiphlow on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:11 pm

WTF! sounds like there's some serious dope smoking going on at the theoretical physics lab!

scientist 1: duuuude---what if the LHC is sabotaging itself from the future?

scientist 2: whooooaaaaa.....
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:16 pm

“It must be our prediction that all Higgs producing machines shall have bad luck,” Dr. Nielsen said in an e-mail message. In an unpublished essay, Dr. Nielson said of the theory, “Well, one could even almost say that we have a model for God.” It is their guess, he went on, “that He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them.”

It's a guess. Though, why couldn't Satan be the one against the particles? Seems kind of strange to give your creation the ability to create something, but need/want to avoid something they can create. Imo, if Higgs particles weren't supposed to exist --because of the Divine's wish-- then we wouldn't even be able to think them up. It's also strange, to me at least, that God would want us to avoid Higgs bosons, but be fine with neutron bombs; both use the same fundamental science. I think they were using God as a metaphor. The idea of accidents as effects of events in the future is fascinating, though.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 pm

fnord
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Bill wrote:This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent...

That was just politics. I spoke with two prominent physicists about it, and unfortunately that was all it was. Sad but true.
chud
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 pm

chud wrote:
Bill wrote:This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent...

That was just politics. I spoke with two prominent physicists about it, and unfortunately that was all it was. Sad but true.

that was just the cover story. those physicists were generated by the supercollider as it destroyed itself from the future.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Its the Large Goddamned Hadron Fucking Collider again!
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 am

The Higgs Boson will be born...the rift will open....and The Rising will begin.

Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 am

Next thing my kids will be telling me that it was impossible to do their homework because it would just sabotage itself from the future...

This also explains why software can never be released on time, the US economy and just about every blunder or failure due to incompetence, laziness, and other pathetic excuses and attempts at explaining this infinitely complex universe that people (who are largely NOT theoretical physicists) tend to some up with.

Excellent.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 am

theoretical physics is a mind fuck.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:39 am

I'm still disappointed this hasn't happened

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:23 am

RobP2 wrote:I'm still disappointed this hasn't happened

nice! From Beyond....what a weird little tale that was. In it's time, it had great effects!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 am

Watch out, here comes that boson from the future...

Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic