Interracial couple denied marriage license

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Interracial couple denied marriage license

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:22 am

Steve, haven't you been to the great nation of Africa? George W. Bush is well familiar with its geography, just as him how to get there. ;D

PS—You'll need to learn Africanese because they don't speak Latin in Africa, that's the language of the great nation of Latin America.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 am

Steve James wrote:"Dissing" mixed-race marriage? What do you mean by that? Whew...

I mean that judge is a moron.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:25 am

Yeah, that "nation of Africa" comment was a classic, as was his comment about being surprised seeing all the Black people in Brazil. Conde Rice gently reminded him that there were more Black people in Brazil than anywhere outside of the African continent.

Btw, I went to Brazil to talk about this subject at the state uni in Rio. The gov in Brazil was considering instituting "affirmative action" --for Blacks. But, here's the problem: Brazil doesn't legally classify by "race." Though, in society, there are clearly "color" classifications -much more refined and subtle than exists in the US. Anyway, I was there to argue against the institution of affirmative action along color lines. I pointed to the differences between Brazilian history and US history. There's never been legailized "Jim Crow" --though there has been segregation because of the history of violence against the indigenous populations, the enslavement of Africans, and the exploitation of immigrants. I agreed that there was need for "action" to redress problems; my point was that it shouldn't be based on color. There are many Brazilian families with some dark and some light-skinned children. So, which ones should get more opportunities? For ex, here's what a "mulatto" might look like in Brazil (pic is for a Brazilian novel written in 1881)Image For the film, though, one of the promo pictures is Image
Anyway, they'll probably go through with it. I haven't checked. I'm afraid that the election of Obama may have affected the results.

Oops, Darth, I thought you meant that I was dissing multi-racial people. Sorry.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic