One night in Bangkok....

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: One night in Bangkok....

Postby oldEurope on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 am

Hrhr, I told you about the TukTuk-Drivers! Last time me and two friends wanted to get to a bar and couldn´t stop the guy from driving us strait to one of the "massage" parlors. We gave up and thought, fuck it we´re gonna just have a drink there now that we´re here, which ended with an aggressive pimp threatening us and throwing us out after he noticed we werent going to pay for girls! Lots of fun...

Will be there again in two weeks, already excited!Enjoy your time!
Last edited by oldEurope on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldEurope
Santi

Postby oldEurope on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:08 am

What i forgot to tell about the taxis, i figured out that you have to ask if he does meter before you get inside, and also if he will drive you were you want. Often times they don´t want to go were you want to, especially if there is lots of traffic in that direction.
oldEurope
Santi

Postby bailewen on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 am

It's alright man.

Arguing over taxi/tuk tuk/motortaxi fare was fun. After living in China for a while I was kind of prepared. It's not nearly as fierce there but I'm vaguely practiced at fighting the good fight against ripping off the foreigners. I really needed to learn that skill because I have absolutely no natural talent for bargaining whatsoever. I figure, when I eventually get back to the states, this is one of the life skills I picked up in Asia.

I'm totally speaking pidgeon with some of these guys, "No! Me no buy noting! No. 30! No!...30 bhat. Me no buy fucking suit. Ok ok. YOu go. I no buy...."

=========================================================================================================
Incidentally....

The official working class drink of Thailand is *drum roll*....RUM!

I spent most of this entire day wishing to almighty god that I could afford A/C or that someone in my cheap little hovel who had it would check out so I could get his room. Spent most of my time crawling around nursing one of those hangovers I haven't had since I discovered Baijiu.

Not sure why it's mentioned on so many blogs as "Thai Whiskey" when it says "rum" (albeit in small print) right there on the bottle. I didn't notice it myself until a British ex-pat woman working a noodle star (for fun I think) told me she though it tasted more like rum actually. I realized that, yeah, it did taste like rum and then suddenly noticed that, WTF, it IS rum.

Sang Som, the taste of Bangkok!
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic