Medical Marijuana Now Federally Legal

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Medical Marijuana Now Federally Legal

Postby grzegorz on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:37 am

Feds to issue new medical marijuana policy

WASHINGTON – Federal drug agents won't pursue pot-smoking patients or their sanctioned suppliers in states that allow medical marijuana, under new legal guidelines to be issued Monday by the Obama administration.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state law.

The guidelines to be issued by the department do, however, make it clear that agents will go after people whose marijuana distribution goes beyond what is permitted under state law or use medical marijuana as a cover for other crimes, the officials said.

The new policy is a significant departure from the Bush administration, which insisted it would continue to enforce federal anti-pot laws regardless of state codes.

Fourteen states allow some use of marijuana for medical purposes: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

California is unique among those for the widespread presence of dispensaries — businesses that sell marijuana and even advertise their services. Colorado also has several dispensaries, and Rhode Island and New Mexico are in the process of licensing providers, according to the Marijuana Policy Project, a group that promotes the decriminalization of marijuana use.

Attorney General Eric Holder said in March that he wanted federal law enforcement officials to pursue those who violate both federal and state law, but it has not been clear how that goal would be put into practice.

A three-page memo spelling out the policy is expected to be sent Monday to federal prosecutors in the 14 states, and also to top officials at the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration.

The memo, the officials said, emphasizes that prosecutors have wide discretion in choosing which cases to pursue, and says it is not a good use of federal manpower to prosecute those who are without a doubt in compliance with state law.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the legal guidance before it is issued.

"This is a major step forward," said Bruce Mirken, communications director for the Marijuana Policy Project. "This change in policy moves the federal government dramatically toward respecting scientific and practical reality."

At the same time, the officials said, the government will still prosecute those who use medical marijuana as a cover for other illegal activity. The memo particularly warns that some suspects may hide old-fashioned drug dealing or other crimes behind a medical marijuana business.

In particular, the memo urges prosecutors to pursue marijuana cases which involve violence, the illegal use of firearms, selling pot to minors, money laundering or involvement in other crimes.

And while the policy memo describes a change in priorities away from prosecuting medical marijuana cases, it does not rule out the possibility that the federal government could still prosecute someone whose activities are allowed under state law.

The memo, officials said, is designed to give a sense of prosecutorial priorities to U.S. attorneys in the states that allow medical marijuana. It notes that pot sales in the United States are the largest source of money for violent Mexican drug cartels, but adds that federal law enforcement agencies have limited resources.

Medical marijuana advocates have been anxious to see exactly how the administration would implement candidate Barack Obama's repeated promises to change the policy in situations in which state laws allow the use of medical marijuana.

Soon after Obama took office, DEA agents raided four dispensaries in Los Angeles, prompting confusion about the government's plans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_go_ca_ ... _marijuana
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Medical Marijuana Now Federally Legal

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:03 am

Canada did this a few years ago. It's not far enough in my opinion.
I would be one to call for complete and totally legalization for what I now think are obvious reasons.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:44 am

Agreed. Decriminalize marijuana and hemp.

The obvious reason for the authorities to resist decriminalization is that 80% of drug offenders in the world's largest prison system are non-violent marijuana users. Prisons are such big business, one of the few growing markets in the American economy, that it will be tough to change the current model.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 am

reason for the authorities to resist decriminalization is that 80% of drug offenders in the world's largest prison system are non-violent marijuana users. Prisons are such big business, one of the few growing markets in the American economy, that it will be tough to change the current model.

I agree with 100% that there is a "prison industrial complex", but I don't think it's the primary reason for the resistance to decriminalization. For ex., more money could be made by fining offenders (marijuana users, growers and sellers). So, it's not "just" about money; but, prison is good business, and bizness iz a boomin.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Damn skippy. But I favor at least decriminalization of ALL drugs. Prohibition breeds desire.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:27 pm

It's not just about the money being made. Imagine what unemployment would be like if that 80% were back on the streets...
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Imagine what unemployment would be like if that 80% were back on the streets...

Well, the state would have to find a new way to make license plates :) But, clearly, it is more profitable (for some) to incarcerate than, say, to educate. I forget the actual figures --meaning I don't know them-- but I've heard that states pay more per person to incarcerate someone than to give them a college education. So, imagine how many prison guards would be unemployed if the pot smokers wre released. Plus, going to prison it the best education in crime that money can buy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:It's not just about the money being made. Imagine what unemployment would be like if that 80% were back on the streets...

Probably not that bad, considering most would be getting jobs in the new Cannabis industry.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby GaryR on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Just a nit-pick correction on the title, its not federally legal, its just technically on the "ignore list", or low in priority. the Controlled Substances Act, or its category as a fed. law hasn't been altered as far as I know, but that is where this is headed at least.

Its about time, I think given what we know of the effects of alcohol v. mary jane, its hard to justify one being legal and the other not, especially given the tax potential and enforcement cost, I think its like 20 Billion a year down the drain total...

G
GaryR

Postby Bill on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

-Harry Anslinger-
head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics,
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Bill wrote:“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

-Harry Anslinger-
head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics,

that is the most amazing statement I have read today! lol

How old is it? 50 years +?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14 pm

The statements were propably made in the 1930's.
Here are a couple more by him....

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm sure it was a medical doctor who told him that. The authorities are always 100% correct, based on science, with no other agenda.
Michael

Postby Chanchu on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Chanchu
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic