Placebo effect observed in spinal nerves

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Placebo effect observed in spinal nerves

Postby I-mon on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:35 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17993-placebo-effect-caught-in-the-act-in-spinal-nerves.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

"The placebo effect is not only real; its ability to deaden pain has been pinpointed to cells in the spinal cord. That raises hopes for new ways of treating conditions such as chronic pain."
I-mon
Great Old One

Re: Placebo effect observed in spinal nerves

Postby qiphlow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:56 pm

it's all placebo effect
Last edited by qiphlow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:08 pm

except for the narcotics...
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:28 pm

even that.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Yeah, I think that one day nobody'll be prescribed drugs; instead, they'll be given something to think about that makes the brain produce the right chemicals to fight the disease.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 pm

that is certainly possible. i would love to be around when that happens.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:46 pm

It's called TV and is the cure for "reality induced dissatisfaction syndrome".
Michael

Postby I-mon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:56 am

Steve James wrote:Yeah, I think that one day nobody'll be prescribed drugs; instead, they'll be given something to think about that makes the brain produce the right chemicals to fight the disease.

well that's already begun (or rather, it's been around for thousands of years) with understanding of the relaxation response, one of the foundations of all the yoga, taiji - type arts' healing benefits.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm

true, simon. however, i think that most of us in the "west" still have to get over a huge amount of go-to-your-doctor-and-he'll-fix-it-for-you conditioning.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Steve James wrote:Yeah, I think that one day nobody'll be prescribed drugs; instead, they'll be given something to think about that makes the brain produce the right chemicals to fight the disease.

we have posted lots of things on "test no topic" that should get you smiling. and smiling is close to laughing. which is the best med. and gets these good chemical cocktails going. and qi and so on.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Actually, in ~25-35 years, nanomachines will be doing most of the work to fix your body.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby I-mon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm

I think that people have used many things, including exercises (like tcc) and drugs. All traditional societies use drugs. Where they get those drugs is another matter.
I was talking about "science" got the point where scientists could actuallly explain how the brain could stimulate the production of the right chemicals/drugs that cured or acted as preventative. I don't that tcc or psychic or spiritual healing work by themselves.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm

"relaxation response" is the name given to the opposite of the "fight or flight" response, ie it is the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system and therefore the deactivation of the sympathetic nervous system (since each one inhibits the functioning of the other). the other common way of describing the function of the parasympathetic nervous system is with the words "rest and digest".

from wikipedia "The parasympathetic nervous system promotes digestion, synthesizes glycogen, and allows for normal function and behavior."

of course this isn't as sophisticated as what you were describing, but the effects of the relaxation response have been well documented for many years and thus we have the beginnings of the science of using the mind to alter the activity of the nervous system and influence the body chemistry to cure disease and promote good health - especially in the current age when most disease is caused by stress (ie a chronically overactive sympathetic nervous system).
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:07 pm

we have the beginnings of the science of using the mind to alter the activity of the nervous system and influence the body chemistry to cure disease and promote good health

I don't see the argument. We aren't there yet, but I hope we get there. That was my point.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic