Kids comics with girl heroines?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Kids comics with girl heroines?

Postby fuga on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Any recommendations for good comics for a 6 year old girl. Looking for something either with a female heroine or something not too violent.

She's starting to get into making her own comic strips and I want her to see what else is out there.

Thanks,

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Re: Kids comics with girl heroines?

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Lady Snow Blood

Kabuki

Oh wait you said not too violent. :)

There's always Cat Woman.
Chris Fleming

Postby chud on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm

fuga wrote:Any recommendations for good comics for a 6 year old girl. Looking for something either with a female heroine or something not too violent.

Pete, I subscribe to the "Marvel Adventures" comics for my sons. They have male and female superheroes, and there is nothing offensive or overly violent in them, they're made especially for kids (it says "all ages" in the upper right hand corner). I would recommend it for your girl. Some recent issues which my boys have include female heroines such as Spider Woman, Tigra, and Giant-Girl. I subscribed through one of those Scholastic book orders that my son brought home, but you could do it direct from Marvel, probably online.
chud
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:34 am

Sure nice that you can choose in the States... In Japan, all comics come in big packs, so-to-speak, of a whole bunch of comics, which usually consist of:

2 or 3 fighting comics (sort of like heroes, except they are not, and have their often kooky powers without explanation)
1 or 2 sports comics (sometimes rather like the above)
1 or 2 romance comics (usually about a normalish kid who for some reason is surrounded by beautiful girls all the time who are all interested in him, and who for some reason always become naked/show their panties to the kid by accident)
1 or 2 "gag" comics
A bunch of others
Usually a photo swimsuit spread of some tween-teen girl

The problem is, if you want to let your kid read comics, it is hard to try to limit the violence or sexual content, as they all come in a bag, together...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:22 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Lady Snow Blood

Kabuki

Oh wait you said not too violent. :)

There's always Cat Woman.

Catwoman? Seriously? You might as well encourage your 6 year old to become a stripper.

DC and Marvel both have lines of comics for young readers right now... usually in small digest size books. Go to your local comic shop. There's a Teen Titans book based on the Cartoon Network show that was on for a few years. It's an assembly, of course, but you've got Starfire and Raven and they aren't you know... more adult like their regular teen/adult comic book counter parts.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:28 am

"Catwoman? Seriously?"

No not seriously.
Chris Fleming

Postby WVMark on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm

The Dreamer
http://thedreamercomic.com/
Has a very dedicated fan base. Artist and writer is a woman (I know her).
She was nominated for two Harvey Awards this year.
IDW carries the comic. You can get it from most comic book stores, I think. She just put out a graphic novel, too.
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Interloper on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Back in the day, I loved Marvel comics, particularly X-Men and New Mutants. There were loads of female characters, but my favorite was Kitty Pryde, a nice Jewish girl from Chicago who could air-walk and "phase" through solid objects. She had pretty wholesome values, and pet mini-dragon named Lockheed. Unfortunately, last I heard of Kitty, she had been shot into a distant galaxy and into the core of a planet, where she apparently is still trapped in phase-mode.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Kitty-pride / Ariel was great. She started with the X-Men when she was 13 and was worried about zits. Her mutant ability was defensive, so she had to use her brain. IIRC, the Kitty & Wolvie 4 part mini-series was good, written by Claremont and penciled by Milgrom. Might be cheap to buy these days.
Michael

Postby Interloper on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Michael,
I think I still have that Kitty-Wolvie mini-series, plus her debut ish!
Don't forget she changed her name from Ariel to Shadowcat.
Wikipedia has a pretty extensive page on her and the rest of the Marvel universe.

Ack. I just remembered that Disney bought 'em out. :P :(
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Those were the days, but I guess the X-Men that we read in the 80's are probably a bit much for a six year-old. Kudos for fuga, though. Most parents just seem to plop them down in front of the TV and forget about it.
Michael

Postby fuga on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Michael wrote:Most parents just seem to plop them down in front of the TV and forget about it.

We canceled cable to eliminate the temptation. She gets a movie once a week or so. And it's better for the parents as we have now become voracious readers once again.

I appreciate all these recommendations and will plan to take her to the local comic store to find something appropriate for her, and hopefully continue to inspire her to draw her own comics, which lately have featured her pet mice Ice Cream and Willow.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Another crazy idea would be to let cerebus baby sit. I think he's got a lot of interesting reading material. ;D
Michael

Postby Interloper on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

I can see cerebus reading to her from his prize copy of "My Very First Tai-Chi Qabbalah Reader." ;D

Fuga,
I got rid of cable AND my TV five years ago out of financial necessity,and have never missed either. Instead, I use the time to read, train (plenty of solo work), garden, etc. The comic book industry has changed a lot in the past 40 years. I don't know whether we can still find the completely innocent G-rated, no-deep-issues, wholesome books that used to be around, like "Little Lulu" (written and drawn by a female cartoonist... very unusual in her day). A lot of comic books now focus on deep emotional issues, angst, etc. (the X-Men of the '80s being part of that). Gone are the days of the muscle-bound meatheads who patroled the air, earth and waters for the Good of Humanity (or at least for Americans). You might have to settle for Dora the Explorer. ;)
Last edited by Interloper on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic