High Schoolers Watch Public Gang Rape

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: High Schoolers Just Watch Public Gang Rape

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:55 pm

cerebus wrote: There are others where I would call the cops, then maybe get creative with further help. Like running up to the perps and shouting "Here come the cops! Run!" or something along those lines.

Nice one Troy.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Methods on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:31 pm

grzegorz wrote:
Dmitri wrote:Aha, so NOW they're complaining that people did nothing? But wait a minute, wasn't it "the right thing to do", according to police/govt.? "Don't get involved, call 911, stay safe, let authorities handle things", etc. -- we keep hearing this bullshit ALL the damn time, right? So now people actually acted like they were asked to act (i.e. do nothing) and something awful happens as a result, and they're fucking surprized?! >:( ::)

If someone called 911 I'd be satisfied, as Methods said this is a very dangerous neighborhood and payback is a bitch!

But even that didn't happen and this went on for 2 and half hours, you'd think someone would have walked away and just dial up someone to call someone for help.

Please rethink this guys. Calling the police, what IF someone sees you doing it. Run up and say the police are coming, what if they are not, you are the one who broke it up. Run up to help, these people have ZERO reasoning, they will take you out - or worse someone in your family. Guys, I spent my summers there, my family grew up there, my family were law enforcement there, my grandparents still live there right on broadway and I fought with these people non stop and had to sit next to them at times with them swishing a knife at me when the teachers back is turned.

This happened for two hours and it is very sad, backs up what I have been stating about them ALL being animals - personally I would have helped even if it meant death, but I was raised properly and could of not lived with myself otherwise. For those of you holding your imaginary fists up remember I was used to a place like this, I fought with people like this and was friends with some of them as well. For outsiders its a whole different avenue and its easy to say this or that until the reality hits. Being only six people involved I can guarantee triple that new about it and roughly that number were the ones around it while it was all going down. Attack the six and the rest come down like a hornets nest - believe me! Homies are Homies....
Sounds to me that the girl had some issues with other girls and they brutally attacked her because of it, happens more that you could imagine.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

FWIW, my comment wasn't in regard to the behavior of the crowd itself, -- what happened happened; they're just a group of people. None of us can know FOR SURE what we would do unless we were in that EXACT same situation ourselves before.
My comment was to the fact that reporters and police appear "shocked" that nobody did anything, whereas the "do nothing" line (for any violent situation, even much, much "lighter" ones) has been repeated again and again by officials, news reporters, police, etc. for a very long time now. (And I, personally, hate that line, FWIW.) So, that reaction is hypocritical IMO, that's all.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:It's a matter of group dynamics. The more people that witness an event, the less likely it is that any single individual will accept responsibility and do something to prevent it.

AKA 'Kitty Genovese-effect'. Named after a woman murdered in the 60s under the eyes of 38 witnesses, who did nothing. This stuff is old, nothing to do with the pussification of society. Just human nature. Unfortunately...
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby Alexander on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:55 pm

Iskendar wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:It's a matter of group dynamics. The more people that witness an event, the less likely it is that any single individual will accept responsibility and do something to prevent it.

AKA 'Kitty Genovese-effect'. Named after a woman murdered in the 60s under the eyes of 38 witnesses, who did nothing. This stuff is old, nothing to do with the pussification of society. Just human nature. Unfortunately...

Yup, diffusion of responsibility.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm

In the Genovese case, a woman was screaming on the street corner. People heard from their windows; some even looked down, but then they closed their shades and their ears. They didn't spectate. When asked, they said they didn't really know what was happening. They closed their windows because they didn't want to get involved. In that case, the people involved were plain old working class folks in a pretty nice neighborhood. Anyway, although it's true that some may not have done anything --not even called the cops-- because they thought someone else would do it, I don't think it's the same phenomenon as this one, where the observers didn't shun the crime, they participated as if spectators at a sports event.

Dmitri, what I meant was just that it's too easy to pin the blame on things other than the individuals involved. Imo, it's misplaced (or displaced) anger, just as misplaced, imo, as blaming it on ethnicity, environment, class or anything else except the seeming acceptance of violence toward women --in this case, but people in general.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Steve James wrote:In the Genovese case, a woman was screaming on the street corner. People heard from their windows; some even looked down, but then they closed their shades and their ears. They didn't spectate. When asked, they said they didn't really know what was happening. They closed their windows because they didn't want to get involved. In that case, the people involved were plain old working class folks in a pretty nice neighborhood. Anyway, although it's true that some may not have done anything --not even called the cops-- because they thought someone else would do it, I don't think it's the same phenomenon as this one, where the observers didn't shun the crime, they participated as if spectators at a sports event.

good point.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:34 pm

I can't judge what the people should have done, but it's within every thinking adult's capacity to leave the scene and call the cops ASAP, and remember as many details about the perps as possible to assist in their arrest.
Ian

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Ian wrote:I can't judge what the people should have done, but it's within every thinking adult's capacity to leave the scene and call the cops ASAP, and remember as many details about the perps as possible to assist in their arrest.

another good point.
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:38 pm

This is why it's always good to carry a spare box of rounds with you. Triple-tapping dudes empties a clip quick.
Chris McKinley

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 pm

How exactly would that work? Picking them off from behind cover / a rooftop with a 1911? :)
Ian

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Why not waltz right into the fray and start thinning the herd? ;D
Chris McKinley

Postby Josealb on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Just two words for you Ian...

Gun Kata.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One