Budding Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:17 am

A PROMISING young Canadian singer and musician has died after two coyotes attacked her while she was hiking alone in a national park in Nova Scotia.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, a folk singer-songwriter from Toronto, who had recently been promoting her new album, was on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday when the attack occurred.

read the rest of the article
Michael

Re: Budding Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes

Postby Dale Dugas on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:06 am

I really have no clue as to ANYONE who ventures out into the forests/woods/remote areas without any protection of some form. Be it a stick, hiking staff, cane. Something that they could use to fend off things that might try and eat you.

Sad story.

But reality seems to be lost on the masses
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:16 am

I know what you mean, but this particular attack sounds unexpected to me. I'm no great outdoorsman, but I never heard of coyotes attacking healthy people before. Cougars, bears, yes, but coyotes, nope. Kinda odd. Maybe she just didn't think there were any predators out there and it sounds like there were other hikers. I think the bear sprays might be worth looking into even if there are no bears.
Michael

Postby fisherman on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:09 am

We have had a few attacks in the Boulder area in the past year.
http://www.dailycamera.com/archivesearc ... camera.com

http://www.dailycamera.com/archivesearc ... camera.com

I think if you are going to be out in nature at all you need to at least make yourself aware of what your potential dangers are. Just having a stick can go a long ways. I usually carry a can of bear spray when I go fishing, you just never know...
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Methods on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:09 am

Where I live there is not a day that goes by without seeing a coyote. I have never ever heard of one attacking full grown healthy people - weird...
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:25 am

Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:22 am

yes it is tragic and strange.
i suspect she may have tried to feed them or tried to befriend them and it went bad.

they do not typically attack people. It is prety out of line with regular coyote behaviour
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 am

How weird. I grew up in northern Vermont and there were always coyotes around. Never heard of them attacking people. Yeah, I'd at least carry some pepper spray if I had any indication that there might be predators (cougars, bears) in the area, but I've never really thought of coyotes that way.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Alexander on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:10 am

Wow.. are they sure they were coyotes?

It's extremely unusual for coyotes to attack people.. extremely rare. They are such skiddish animals most of the time.
Alexander
Huajing

Postby meeks on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:30 pm

I was attacked by a cougar once....

took me days to get that cheap lipstick off my collar...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:39 pm

i suspect she may have tried to feed them or tried to befriend them and it went bad.

She was apparently quite experienced in wilderness living, so I find that highly unlikely. Having just moved to an area with coyotes, I will certainly keep watch when the kids get here. Weaponry now officially justified. And here I was looking forward to my first boar hunt with a spear.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 pm

They are very smart animals and skilled predators and becoming less and less afraid of humans- we have had some coyote attacks on small children in my area.
If you are willing to accept the responsibility, are able to and the Gov't has not disarmed you consider carry of a weapon in the woods- it would be prudent.

The number one killer 4 legged animal in the US is domestic dog, not common but quite possible to be attacked by a critter Mt lion etc in California.

Coyotes sometimes watch me when I practice out doors always have at least a mu jian ready for them .

Recently there was a Racoon pack attack on a lady that was real strange they mualed her pretty bad. Animals now have less and less fear.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Racoons can be REALLY vicious and dangerous, especially if it has to do with food or their young. They can really mess a person up...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 pm

yep dat true- years ago knew of a "pet' racoon that chewed up somebody pretty bad, like a disney movie gone horribly wrong- never heard of a racoon pack attack before though, think it happened in florida about three weeks ago,,,
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:01 pm

It is very unusual for coyotes to attack humans. I'm wondering whether it might have been timber wolves that actually attacked her?

Around here, coyotes have "attacked" walkers ---- who were walking male dogs. In all cases, it was male coyotes picking up the related canine pheremones from the dogs, and reacting to that. The dogs were considered to be territorial competitors to the coyotes, hence the attack. The human walkers just happened to be in the way and got bitten.

In other cases I've read of elsewhere, there were occasional "attacks" on humans when they were walking female dogs (yeah, bitches) that were in heat. Being that coyotes and dogs are the same genus and thus are cross-fertile, the male coyotes moved in to mate. I'm guessing a few of those "attacks" on humans were actually dry-humped legs. :P
Last edited by Interloper on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic