why not use grease the groove for everything

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

why not use grease the groove for everything

Postby everything on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:08 am

I was reading Pavel's GTG and love it. Using it a lot. However, I don't get one thing. Why does he say to only use GTG with one exercise? Why shouldn't I just use it for everything? seems kinda silly not to. Especially relative to doing nothing but even compared to convention sets x reps vs. GTG. Thanks for any advice here.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: why not use grease the groove for everything

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:22 am

dude, explain the concept in a short form, don't force us to go read pages of stuff for some exercise.

Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:14 am

huh? oh sorry man. figured most ppl here heard of it. here's a summary from a blog:
Specificity + frequent practice = success. It is so obvious, most people don’t get it. Once I came across a question posted on a popular powerlifting website by a young Marine: how should he train to be able to do more chin-ups? I was amused when I read the arcane and non-specific advice the trooper had received: straight-arm pull-downs, reverse curls, avoiding the negative part of the chin-up every third workout… I had a radical thought: if you want to get good at chin-ups, why not try to do… a lot of chin-ups?

basically you do only a few reps, never to exhaustion, with much greater frequency (since your muscles aren't exhausted). goes against what bodybuilders do, but works for Pavel and a lot of martial artists. it's really brilliant. but he says don't do it for more than 1 exercise at a time. e.g., if you do GTG chins, do everything else conventionally. Don't get that.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:23 am

I don't really remember him putting it like that. After all, he talks about the pistol squat and the 1 arm push up in his "The Naked Warrior" book, so there's two right there, one for the lower body and one for the upper body. Perhaps it has more to do with not exhausting yourself by trying to practice EVERYTHING you can think of with GTG and just trying to do few things better--which is a principle of strength training that the fitness industry fails to understand.
Chris Fleming

Postby everything on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:56 pm

ok thanks a lot
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic