For those who installed Windows 7

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: For those who installed Windows 7

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:I do IT for a profession and had Windows XP 64 bit, my computer was getting sluggish even after installing more RAM. One day i hit one of those you have a virus/trojan PC INFECTED Bullshit "installl Vista antivirus now!" pop ups that would not go away and hijacked my system. I got hit by a malicous site when looking at Xingyi PDF's online. I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and it has been fast and awesome ever since. I love the new features and its using the memory very well.

now this sounds like an ms ad. ;D

I know it's not.

I watched this OS go through beta, it is a really good system
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 pm

so, computer nerds...
i somehow fucked up my computer. it was running great, then i installed my copy of ms office (from the original disc), and...
...BSOD! windows will not start, startup repair and system repair don't solve the problem. short of trying to reinstall the OS, any suggestions?
thanks!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Did you try simply booting up in safe mode and returning to a restore point? Or, get into safe mode and then uninstall the last program. It all depends. It could be hardware, too. I always keep a linux distro around just in case. At least it'll let me know if the problem isn't software.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:45 am

Boot into your parallel, clean installation of XP and restore your last full backup of the windows partition, a partition that contains only installed software and no created data or important user pref. configuration information like Firefox profiles (kept elsewhere) that you made immediately prior to installing any MS software, or that was made the night before during your daily backup routine. ;)
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 am

cold boot, tap [F8]

start in safe mode

open help and support

open system restore wizard

restore the system to the time prior to the incident using the system restore.

done.

failing that, put in your boot disk and run a repair, then perhaps you might have to repeat the process of system restore after that.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:44 am

neijia_boxer wrote:I do IT for a profession and had Windows XP 64 bit, my computer was getting sluggish even after installing more RAM. One day i hit one of those you have a virus/trojan PC INFECTED Bullshit "installl Vista antivirus now!" pop ups that would not go away and hijacked my system. I got hit by a malicous site when looking at Xingyi PDF's online. I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and it has been fast and awesome ever since. I love the new features and its using the memory very well.

Glad it's going well on the reinstall - As well as yr anti-virus and firewall use Firefox/NoScript to block site scripts by default :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Ok, installed Win7 last night. I have to say that it was the fastest M$ os install ever. It was up and running in less than an hour. That doesn't mean it had all the best drivers, just that the ones installed worked right away. It'd make sense, imo, for an inexperienced user to wait for a year when all the hardware companies will have come out with specific drivers. Otoh, your machine will work using generic drivers, which is great. As for the os, it's a kind of cross between Xp and Vista: it has the speed of Xp with the looks of Vista. I've turned off the Aero effects, though. It loads and runs a lot faster than Vista. It's very customizable. Otoh, you should have a lot of memory (4gbs), a good video card (w DirectX 10 or 11), meaning a good power supply,too. Haven't found any old software that doesn't work.

Oh, by the way, try http://ninite.com/
I'm also trying out the Microsoft anti-spyware/malware. It's an option on ninite, btw.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Microsoft anti-spyware is an oxymoron. Microsoft is the reason why we need protection because of the massive security holes they build into their products.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:42 am

Microsoft is the reason why we need protection because of the massive security holes they build into their products.

Actually, the reason we need protection for M$ is because M$ os were the ones attacked. All software had holes, but nobody cared. In fact, that was why security features were installed for games made for the Atari. But, I'm using the "Microsoft Security Essentials" because it's free, doesn't need registration, is very light and is completely integrated. Well, it also seems to be logical to use M$ to combat the people who attack it. Who would know better where the holes were or could be than the people who made it? Who'd be the most interested in making sure that it was successful? And, if something goes wrong, who'd know about it first and want to fix it soonest? Other anti-spyware solutions "depend" on people attacking M$, anyway.

The biggest risk with using the MSE kit is that people might be afraid that M$ is hacking them. Or, that the people who work on development will go rogue or sell secrets. But that's true of Kapersky, AVG. Avira, Norton. So, it makes sense to me if an operating system also integrates a firewall, anti-spyware, anti-adware/malware, etc., rather than putting together a suite from various sources. Though, in this case, that's probably what M$ did anyway. The biggest difference between the MSE and others is that it can only work on M$ systems.

Besides, I've got plenty of backup. Every time I upgrade a drive, I use the old one to install an os "just in case." Then I set them aside or just disconnect them if something goes wrong or gets badly infected.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:53 am

qiphlow wrote:so, computer nerds...
i somehow fucked up my computer. it was running great, then i installed my copy of ms office (from the original disc), and...
...BSOD! windows will not start, startup repair and system repair don't solve the problem. short of trying to reinstall the OS, any suggestions?
thanks!

finally fixed. turns out it was the video card. in spite of downloading the current driver, it just didn't get along with w7. put the old card in and everything is hunky dory.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Ok, quick review. W7 is, imo, "better" than XP in the sense that it does just as much, a little bit faster, and is not as intrusive or frustrating as Vista. I'd recommend upgrading to W7, though I've yet to decide whether it's worth it to go 64bit. Well, one nice thing is that both versions were included in the package.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for the update. I totally skipped Vista and even was miffed by XP sp3, so maybe it's time for an upgrade. We'll see. Nowadays, I just hate spending any time on the computer I don't have to.
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 am

oging 64 bit allows you to considerably increase speed via ram.

32 bit allows ofr 4 gig of ram and only 3.5 of it will be seen by the xp os.

But 64 bit will allow up to a terrabyte of ram, yes ram!

try and find chipsets that large, but anyway...it will mean that your computer will be able to respond immediately, no waiting at all etc etc.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:39 am

64 bit + 2tb hdd + kickin vid card, 7:1 sound win7 and 20 gig of ddr3 ram.

yep, you should have zero problems.

btw,microsoft doesn't build in holes, hakkers find them.
microsoft then patches, nothing is perfect, if Mac were more interesting and weren't so limited, they'd have hakkers looking at those too. lol

thanks for the laugh though, always nice to hear a mac fan gurgling in the back as he sufs the web, checks his mail, compiles a video of his dog and makes a mix in protools cause there's fuck all else to do with them. lol
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:18 am

Dude....what are you you smoking?

I am a PC user myself. Never owned a Mac in my life but they are just better freaking machines. It's posts like that last one that convince me that you work for Windows. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Other than gaming, is there anything out there that you can't do on a Mac? What is all this mysterious software you keep alluding to that Windows is so strong with? Virtually every mainstream application on the entire market is available for both Mac and PC. For multimedia, Mac is the industry standard and no, I do not mean editing a youtube video, I mean what Hollywood uses to edit it's major motion pictures and TV on. They use PC's too but Macs are far more common because they are far easier to set up.

Remember, PC user here.

Macs do not need a ton of antivirus and firewall stuff installed after the fact and the basic suite of applications that comes with OSX is vastly superior to what even Windows 7 offers.

Seriously. I use a PC because it's more Chinese friendly and because, honestly, I can't afford a Mac, especially living here in the middle of the biggest black market on the planet. Just no black market software or aftermarket parts from Chinese manufacturers here in central China. I live on about $500/month so don't lecture me on the ramifications. If I was getting paid a western salary I'd pay for all my software and....oh waitasecond...no, I'd pay for hardly anything because I'd be using a Mac and wouldn't need to spend a fortune on 3rd party applications because most everything I need would already be bundled in.

Honestly, my favorite is still Linux except for ....yeah....games. The one reason in existence to stick with PC. Go figure.

I actually prefer the Windows interface but mainly it's just because that's what I am familiar with. I feel a bit clumsy on a Mac but just comparing features...there's no comparison. That's why they cost more.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic