For those who installed Windows 7

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

For those who installed Windows 7

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm considering installing a copy .. since Ive been twiddling with the machines anyway. Instead of repairing a craped out XP install that I did a few years back, I thought I'd try the latest. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone of you who'd installed it had any particular problems. Specifically, were there any problems with drivers or really useful software that wouldn't install? Or were there any other problems that you ran into?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: For those who installed Windows 7

Postby Dmitri on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:57 pm

The only real problem I've hit so far (installed a couple weeks ago) is that my phone doesn't get recognized on ONE of the machines (I have it now installed on two machines) -- on the other one it was recognized/working fine. Hopefully I'll figure it out, maybe need a reboot or something...

The other thing is that the 64-bit version doesn't seem to support hardware acceleration for VM (virtual machines), so the VM I'm running on it is now actually slower than it was on Vista, but if you're installing 32-bit and/or don't care about VMs, then this is not an issue for you.

One other small gripe, there is no way to configure "classic" style for start menu (not the button, but the menu itself); you could still do it in Vista, but not anymore. Getting used to it, nothing deadly.

All in all, -- it's alright. I don't understand why all the hype (though I'm working off of a desktop with a lot of memory and good speed, and I hear it really shines in laptops, so maybe that's why people are raving?) but it's nice/ok. Solid so far. Image
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot. I usually run 32bit, and I will until the software I use requires it. I don't run a virtual machine ..no particular reason. I like to have a separate machine running another os. Besides, other than for sandbox purposes, I have no reason to run a vm.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:13 pm

The last thing to happen here was Automatic Updates for Window XP, followed by an appalling episode of page thrashing. I had to push and hold the switch. If this was a gentle reminder to upgrade my OS, I am in the process of doing so...to Linux.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Long story short:
Had Vista on a laptop bought new in 2008, was a slug, totally worthless unless being run on "High-performance" mode. And even then, awful.

Took it in when it crashed, guy offered to swap it out for 7 in addition to fixing.

Crash problem had been CAUSED by vista being such a fat whore piece of software.

Now run laptop on "Power Saver" mode with better performance than ever seen with Vista on any power setting.

Conclusion: Fuck you for releasing vista and wasting my time with such a shitty OS when XP was a perfectly valid platform.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby qiphlow on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:21 pm

i tried the "upgrade" install from vista (32 bit), but it kept on hanging/crashing, so i had to do a clean install. about the only thing i lost were some songs from my itunes library that had been DL'ed from another site. and a minor annoyance--using firefox with w7 seems to make my graphics carsd go a little wiggy occasionally, but i experience none of that with ie8
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Once you get it installed, because it is folly not to if you are a vista user and for xp users, you'll have to come into the future eventually as it won't be supported shortly, get a copy of this http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

it is very handy and works great with win7.

I still have xp at home, but will be getting new win 7 setups and n routing going very soon.

can't wait for all that power and speed! gonna rig up the whole house!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:01 pm

If you hate microsoft altogether, the Linux OS "Mandriva" is also highly regarded.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Craig on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm

qiphlow....1 word: Chrome.

It will make all your days happier
Craig
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 am

is chrome still pulling their "all your base are belong to us" (if you submit it through our browser) bullshit?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby bailewen on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:22 am

Darth must work for Windows. His posting on Windoze products is ridiculously verbatim with the Windows party line.

What "power and speed". Those two things come from your processor. Bigger newer OS's can only slow down your system. XP is slower than 2000 and 2000 is slower than 98 just like OSX is slower than OS9 which is slower than OS8. Computers, memory and hard drives have been getting faster and that's the only damn thing that can speed up your system. If you have a shitty old slow computer you can't even run Windows 7.

New operating systems add features, not speed.

Incidentally, Windows 7 does not support my printer (Cannon ipx4200). There's no drivers for it and even compatability mode doesn't help. *grumble*...the cracks are showing. I'm not withdrawing my previous review of the system yet but that's a pretty big fuck up. It's a big name printer and only a couple years old. One of the biggest features of Windows 7 was supposed to be this awe inspiring driver database. :p
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:47 am

you got lucky omar. lol

i odn't work for windows, i just have liked this os through beta and am glad it's released.

I can't bother with pricy macs that you can't do much with that I like to do.
I don't care much for linux because it is limited as well

windows 7 takes a leap forward. I like it.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:06 am

Just installed it as part of a new build. No problems yet, better than Vista, I wouldn't have jumped from XP yet if it wasn't rebuild time anyway.

Screamingly fast, but then running on a Core i7 860, it should be 8-)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Yeah, as an os, xp is fine. The biggest problem has always been that M$ gets in the way to protect its pocket book. Then they call the security obstacles "enhancements." In that sense Mac is as bad; it just has a smaller market share and uses proprietary software.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 pm

I do IT for a profession and had Windows XP 64 bit, my computer was getting sluggish even after installing more RAM. One day i hit one of those you have a virus/trojan PC INFECTED Bullshit "installl Vista antivirus now!" pop ups that would not go away and hijacked my system. I got hit by a malicous site when looking at Xingyi PDF's online. I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and it has been fast and awesome ever since. I love the new features and its using the memory very well.
neijia_boxer

Next

Return to Off the Topic