Tao

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Tao

Postby Methods on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:16 pm

I was responding to another post when i thought maybe I should just start another. Is it a rant - hell yeh it is! but on another note it is something that I would like to share even if some or all of you may already know what Im talking about.

I have noticed over the years Tao / Taoism and Taoist being used allot. Not only by crazies that lead that "holistic" kind of life but by scholars and such alike as well. Tao / Taoist and Taoism is not a whore and should not be treated as so. It is ancient and the philosophies and concepts that surround these three words / ideals and philosophies should be respected as a whole, not as separate entities that do not co exist in the anti religious pseudo scarf wearing tight jean sportin coffee house wannabe philosophical Taoist.

People need to learn and stop thinking they have learned. We can interpret anything any way we want, but because we do does not mean we are right, for instance; when i was really into art my friends and I were checking this painting out, not knowing the artist was standing right next to me. We all started on talking about the meaning of the painting just from what it looked like and the title of the painting itself. We came up with all kinds of crap until the artist spoke up and said it was just how he felt that day - does not mean anything other than that.

I have also found that most of the Tao philosophy is bullshit, the ancients knew it and the educated understand this. It cant be explained and the ones who have tried to explain it have failed miserably but in reference created beautiful timeless pieces of work. Westerners on the other hand love to whore the word Tao out like it was there ugly freckled step sister, not having absolutely any respect of the ancients nor the traditions that surround the concept of Tao / Taoism and the meaning of Taoist.

The Tao / Taoism and learning to be a Taoist is taught through Te, Tao is absolutely useless in every sense of the word. I remember I wanted to learn more about Tao, bothering everyone I knew to teach me, not knowing the whole time I was learning the Tao just by practicing Te - this is what Taoism teaches, the te of ritual, the te of meditation, the te of martial art, the te of life, the te of food etc...tao has little or no meaning without te...
Last edited by Methods on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Re: Tao

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:23 pm

That's why they made the book, The Te of Piglet.
Chris Fleming

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Te Of Piglet
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Terry,

As I've mentioned before, I'm very interested in Taoism. This might perhaps be a discussion to take to PM but could you explain the term "Te"? I'd also be interested in if you could give me some guides for beginners practice...I do not have access to a Taoist teacher at this stage and as good as some of the books are, I imagine they miss the point most of the time.

Thanks!
Craig
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic