The Evil of Catholicism (example)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The Evil of Catholicism (example)

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:25 pm

The K Prodigy wrote:You're confusing people who think they are free to do anything, and people who can't see consequences. I am free to do anything I wish, but there are obviously things I hold off from doing. Not because I find them "evil," but because I realize what the ultimate end result would be.

That's basically what I've been saying. You always have the freedom of choice, and that's true within the limitations of your own perspective, but if you have moral principles to follow there's nothing wrong with admitting you are limited by them. It's not being narrow-minded to avoid conflict by predicting obvious consequences.

And why would you avoid an end result? Because it brings harm to someone, including yourself, and that is the definition of evil. Good and evil are very simple, basic concepts, and I wonder if you avoid them because of other people attaching things to them, like relgious dogma, that are just connotations. No need to throw out perfectly good words because of other's attaching things to them.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for posting that, Bob, but since it's focused on interpretation of Rand, I think I'd have to read her before appreciating those comments.
Michael

Postby Bob on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Michael, just wanted to be clear that those interpretations are not mine--I posted the original source--I thought the direction of the discussion was going into Ayn Rand's moral philosophy and I may have been wrong, here--sorry.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Politics and religion....two things people will never agree on.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Bob, I knew it wasn't yours, just saying that I have never read Ayn Rand. People always bring her up, but I'm not familiar with it.
Michael

Postby qiphlow on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:57 am

and now, a musical interlude:

esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Can't play DEVO without playing...

Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby The K Prodigy on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Bump. Place holder post, been busy in the last few days, will respond to inquiries asap.

Edit:
internalenthusiast wrote:from your response, you may be an ayn rand follower? i'm not sure what your reference to the wiki article implies?

No, it just so happens she has a related philosophy.

Michael wrote:And why would you avoid an end result? Because it brings harm to someone, including yourself, and that is the definition of evil. Good and evil are very simple, basic concepts, and I wonder if you avoid them because of other people attaching things to them, like relgious dogma, that are just connotations. No need to throw out perfectly good words because of other's attaching things to them.

False, because it will hinder some greater goal that I wish to accomplish. Now you're just assuming things.
Last edited by The K Prodigy on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby zenshiite on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm

^No one really gives a shit dude.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 pm

zenshiite wrote:^No one really gives a shit dude.

:D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic