Flu season and training

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Flu season and training

Postby Fubo on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:30 am

One of my current concerns is catching the flu (which ever one) as I have an infant at home, also because taking time away from my jobs will affect a lot of people at this time other than myself. When you are in a school training with people (a part from the forms only people) you are going to have plenty of contact, especially if there is some form of grappling involved. So, have you considered preventative methods apart from the obvious "wash you hands a lot"? Any recommendations?
Fubo
Wuji

Re: Flu season and training

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 am

Follow me for a moment on this one: a mental and "emotional" understanding that you are not sickly, prone to sickness, open to this sickness, etc. As a saying can go, "I don't do flu". Attitude to me is paramount in preventative care. Having been away from the doctor for decades now, I think it's going well.

Good food and rest make up other parts of the equation.

Here's an article:

"just in time for the new flu season. make sure to get as much sunshine on your skin as possible and take your vit. d3, 1000-3000 mg. a day. and whatever you do,dont take the flu vaccination. here is a short article i penned.

"let thy food be thy medicine"
-hippocrates

As the 2009 cold and flu season is upon us, and horror stories in the news of the "swine flu" cirrculate, I would like to share a little known home remedy with you that has been known to work wonders. Let me start off by saying this: don't fall victim to all the hype about the "swine flu". If you do the reasearch you will find that there are only 60 reported deaths in the past few years directly related to the "swine flu" , However there are many different strains of the flu and 1000s' die every year from it's effects. Prevention is the best weapon ie; wash hands frequently, healthy diet, exercise, rest, chi kung and grateful prayer go a long way. The remedy I will share today is a garlic based preparation that is used at the first signs of a cold or flu, but can also be used as a preventative, to bolster the immune system.

garlic (da suan)
bulbus ali sativi
energy and flavor: warm; acrid
properties:anthelminitic, nutrient, antibacterial, antifungal, tonic

Garlic's history of medicinal use goes back at least 5000 yrs. Garlic's documented anti-bacterial, anti-viral properties date back to ancient egypt and early chinese culture. Records in an ancient inscritption in the great pyramid of Cheops state that the sum of 1600 talents of silver-equivalent to $30 million US dollars today- were paid to supply the workers with garlic, onions and radishes while the pyramid was being constructed. Another cool story is that during the bubonic plague in 1722 in marseilles, France there were 3 thieves going around robbing the homes of the dead. They were immune to the effects of the plague. They were caught and sentenced to death, but were offered clemency for the secret for not being effected. Their secret was 50 cloves of garlic soaked in 3 pints of wine vinegar, which they rubbed on the face, hands,arms,clothes and drank before they went out. The authorities passed this info on to the public and many were saved. Ok, enough history and on to the formula:

Take 3/4 lb. of each of the following; garlic, white onion, horseradish root, and ginger root. Chop all finely and place in a 1 gal. jar. Now add 4 tbls. of cayenne pepper, preferably african bird, the hottest you can get. Fill the jar the rest of the way with applecider vinegar, let set for 2-3 weeks agitating daily. Use 1 oz. every other day as a boost during the flu season, or if you feel something coming on, 3-5 oz. before bed. It goes without saying that organic is preferable. Honey can be added to taste. I hope this will help."

I personally use a couple different supplements to bolster the immune system like olive leaf extract and astragalus.

The only problem is that if you are grappling with a person who had the stupidity to get the flu nasal spray. That shit is the live virus right up your nose, ready to breed there and be sneezed out for everyone else to get. I guess you'll have to use your judgment there regarding who you roll with. Best way to go about that is to talk to people. What are their views on this issue? Are they sick? Have they taken the nasal spray? Etc.
Chris Fleming

Postby fuga on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:43 am

I've had the same concern but so far so good.

I am not sure what precautions one could really take when you are grappling other than avoiding sick people who shouldn't be at the gym anyway. I actually feel like I have more of a chance of catching the flu at the grocery store or a restaurant than the gym.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, thanks for the article. I've been taking a multi vitamin, Vitamin D, Garlic supplement, probiotic, astragalus and Vitamin C. I'm sure positive thinking goes a long way.

Pete, I agree that there are other situations that may be more of a concern. I teach 2 college classes, and 1/3 of my students have been getting the flu...

I suppose the only thing you can really control is how you live in the world (to a certain degree), and just have to hope for the best.

Craig
Last edited by Fubo on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 am

don't touch your mucus membranes (nostrils, mouth, eyes) before washing your hands

stay hydrated

get sufficient sleep

maintain good nutrition

cut down on drinking and/or smoking

avoid sudden changes in air temp and humidity

open the windows to keep the air in your place fresh

avoid poorly-ventilated areas

basically don't stress your system. not much to it really
Last edited by Ian on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Fubo on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 am

Good points, Ian.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I have been taking high doses of anti-viral vitamins since i have to wait for flu shots-

vitamin C 2000 mg twice a day
vitamin D
niacin
riboflavin

if i see a guy at the school about to sneeze, i just punch him in the face ;)
neijia_boxer

Postby fuga on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:03 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:if i see a guy at the school about to sneeze, i just punch him in the face ;)

just make sure to wash your hand afterward
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Take a hot bath and wrap a hot towel around your head.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Bär wrote:Take a hot bath and wrap a hot towel around your head.

Is that what the sausage king of Chicago would do to avoid the flu?
Michael

Postby Dr.Rob on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:16 pm

All Sage advice...there is a wicked product to help out if you run low on prep time for garlic and onions...
http://www.allimax.ca/Capsules.htm

Along with that I always suggest sleeping with a light hat on(if your coming down with something). My russian doc always suggest a bit of mustard powder in your socks then wear them when you sleep???
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic