Fedor Would Fight Brock for Free

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Fedor Would Fight Brock for Free

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:23 am

This sums up Dana for me...

I'm with Omar. If Fedor's guys had signed the negotiations would have went something like this...

I'm glad someone stood up to Dana.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:03 pm

bailewen wrote:You know....on of my last nights in Thailand last week, I was hanging out in this bar with a couple of Brits and this Dutch guy and somehow this argument broke out over how many states there are in the US. ??? I told them we had 50 states and they actually didn't think I counted right becuase they were sure we had 52. Despite protestations that Peurto Rico and Canada are not states they actually bet me a round of beers that there were more than 50.

Hahaha! Your only mistake was betting a single round of drinks.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:"I'm not a pie in the sky idealist."

If you think that various organizations should put "the fans" first and all work hand in hand to make certain fights happen, then you are.

Nothing to do with "should". I'm a fan. I want to see the fight. Dana won't let. Me therefore: me = dissatisfied fan.

When the consumer is not satisfied with the product, I suppose we are now supposed to tell the consumer (me) that I just don't understand management and am stuck in an "employee mentality"? WTF ??? That's like Microsoft telling me that I just understand their need to make a profit when I complain that the latest OS doesn't support much of the software I purchased several years ago. Or maybe when my laptop falls apart (video card is glitchy and not one but both hinges on the lid broke) just barely a month or two after the warranty ended I just need to understand the manufacturers need to make a buck and then I'd understand why my laptop is made of a bunch of shitty cut rate parts?

When it comes to the business, you can't be all happy-go-lucky when it comes to dealing with rival organizations. Again, you either have the business owners mentality or the employee mentality.

I have neither. I have a consumer mentality.

I would even go so far as to say that the UFC does not exist for the fans either, they exist to make money.

"Why should I, a fan of the sport and of martial arts in general, give a rats ass over the promoters market share."

You shouldn't. It's not your business and none of those realities personally affect you. However, these things are a big deal to those who actually run the business.

Thank you for so conclusive making my point and showing why we, the fans, should not give a rats ass over Dana White's bottom line. He doesn't give a shit about us either.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

grzegorz wrote:This sums up Dana for me...
I'm with Omar. If Fedor's guys had signed the negotiations would have went something like this...

I'm glad someone stood up to Dana.

OMFG...that was awsome.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:48 pm

"When the consumer is not satisfied with the product, I suppose we are now supposed to tell the consumer (me) that I just don't understand management and am stuck in an "employee mentality"?"

Yes.

You are free not to buy the product you are not satisfied with.

"I want to see the fight. Dana won't let me."

That's kindergarten thinking.

"I have a consumer mentality."

Yes that is a good point. The tricky distinction that people don't get is the businesses, which fail if consumers do not support them, are NOT in existence for the consumer. Businesses are out to make you, the consumer (I thought we were people, but I digress) feel like the business is there for and in existence for you, but in reality it is not--a business is in business for the owners of the business. Joke's on you. The UFC wants, PRIMARILY, to sign a Brock/Fedor fight to make money, not to make you happy. There are secondary reasons, like wanting to give people what they want, to produce a good product, etc, but these, no matter what they say, are not the PRIMARY reason anyone is in business.

"He doesn't give a shit about us either."

Bingo. You're on track now. The problem however with your other statement about not caring about the UFC's bottom line is that you then have to reference back to this statement: "He doesn't give a shit about us either". It doesn't matter if you don't care about what it takes to run a business or if you agree with the management's decision or if they won't negotiate more/make more concessions with M-1.
Last edited by Chris Fleming on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Fleming

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:"When the consumer is not satisfied with the product, I suppose we are now supposed to tell the consumer (me) that I just don't understand management and am stuck in an "employee mentality"?"

Yes.

You are free not to buy the product you are not satisfied with.

"I want to see the fight. Dana won't let me."

That's kindergarten thinking.

"I have a consumer mentality."

Yes that is a good point. The tricky distinction that people don't get is the businesses, which fail if consumers do not support them, are NOT in existence for the consumer. Businesses are out to make you, the consumer (I thought we were people, but I digress) feel like the business is there for and in existence for you, but in reality it is not--a business is in business for the owners of the business. Joke's on you. The UFC wants, PRIMARILY, to sign a Brock/Fedor fight to make money, not to make you happy. There are secondary reasons, like wanting to give people what they want, to produce a good product, etc, but these, no matter what they say, are not the PRIMARY reason anyone is in business.

"He doesn't give a shit about us either."

Bingo. You're on track now. The problem however with your other statement about not caring about the UFC's bottom line is that you then have to reference back to this statement: "He doesn't give a shit about us either". It doesn't matter if you don't care about what it takes to run a business or if you agree with the management's decision or if they won't negotiate more/make more concessions with M-1.

Did you know that when Men's Warehouse first opened and made their wall street debut they listed, stakeholder importance in this order.

1. Employees
2. Customers
3. Shareholders
4. Other stakeholders

Now this really pissed wall street off. But guess who has the most profitable business in that sector?

The type of business mentality you are promoting is exactly the kind of mentality that was preached against by all my human resource professors at Ohio State. They also gave us numerous examples of businesses doing exactly what Omar is talking about and they are more profitable than most or all of their competitors.

If UFC had good HR they could probably never have to worry about losing market share or fighters to other orgs.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:42 pm

"The type of business mentality you are promoting"

I hope you are not getting emotional about it. I made it clear earlier that I do not necessarily call it a good thing, hence I am not "promoting" it (whatever that means). Merely calling it what it is. I like to do what Aristotle said: entertaining a thought without necessarily agreeing with it. It's the mark of an educated mind. I'm glad your professors gave good lessons. Can't help but say though, that principle, while a good one, doesn't seem to apply to the UFC.
Chris Fleming

Previous

Return to Off the Topic