The new Prisoner

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The new Prisoner

Postby KEND on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:57 am

Last night I saw an episode of The Prisoner, a remake of an old series starring Patrick McGoohan. The original followed the series ‘Danger man’ [Secret Agent in the USA, a down market James Bond] following him into the mysterious ‘Village’[actually filmed in North Wales] where he is effectively imprisoned after incurring the wrath of his masters in [presumably] MI6. The original was purposefully surreal, escapees were chased by balloons, nothing was as it appeared to be. The series was way ahead of its time, an exercise in mind games in which the protagonist resists the efforts of the authorities to break his will. It was seen at the time as a metaphor of the Cold War. The Kafkaesque scenario continued to the last episode, no explanations, no real conclusion. It was like a Van Gogh painting, it was apprehended viscerally rather than by the application of rational thought, by metaphor rather than simile.
This is where I feel the new series breaks down, it ‘explains’ things,
it is more like a psychological thriller than a journey into the human
Psyche.
Ian McKellan does an excellent job in recreating Number 2 but I feel that Caviegal is sorely miscast, the original Prisoner was resourceful, clever, disciplined and strong willed, the new one appeared to be consumed by thirty something angst.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: The new Prisoner

Postby Bill on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 am

I remember watching the original show on tv and driving my father crazy with questions. Great show.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 am

saw it, will give it a chance, but didn't like it too much. as you say, way to soon on the explaining of things and not written or played in the spirit of the original which was way cool in it's weirdness.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm

The only to look at the new Prisoner is to forget the old one. It's a completely different show with a completely different premise, or should I say "lack" of premise. When the show first came on, you have to remember that McGoohan and "Danger Man/Secret Agent" were known world-wide. McGoohan would never say that "6" and John Drake were the same character; but everyone who watched the Prisoner understood them to be the same. So, we also knew why he was in the Village ... because he had resigned after being disillusioned with MI5.

He goes home, but gas comes in, knocks him out and, wtf, he's in the Village. So, we know why he's in the Village, and so does he. The rest of the shows, most of them, are about him trying to get out/back; and how they always manage to get him back.

The resolution of the series is silly, but pretty much a sign of those times. First off, there had never been any show like this before. However it was right in tune with the period. For example, his car/s (the mini-Cooper that was way ahead of its time then, and has caught back on today). Then there was the music, which was at times hokey and at others avant garde jazz. The Village itself was a real place, which seemed totally out of place in the era except for the bright colors. Nobody'll remember to mention the mini-skirts, though. It's hard to explain how 'maxi' a thing they were back then. And, the iconic big white balloon was a total accident when the real props they wanted to use didn't work. It all seems so simple now, but put together at that time and compared with conventional tv, which for most people was still in black and white, it was a masterwork.

Yet, McGoohan never intended the show to be a long series. He wanted to do different things, but they made him scratch out a few more episodes. Hence the very hasty, and to some, unsatisfying, conclusion. Anyway, for all those reasons and lots more, the show can't be replicated, except for the basic idea of a lost man in a Village. Btw, that premise had been used in Danger Man years before.

I watched the new show, but it couldn't get me interested. Maybe it's because I've got too many other things to do. It's not because I'd compare it to the original. McKellen is great, but how can we forget Leo McKern? Oops, just saw a mistake, the car was a Lotus Seven S II, not a mini (that was in DM).
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 pm

I think any remake is necessarily going to be compared with the original, thats the risk you take. Some are passable[Cape Fear], some better[Superman with Christopher Reeves]some not so good[Get Carter, Wages of Fear, Double Indemnity].Transferring period pieces into a modern context is always risky, looking at old films reminds us how conventions change, the protagonists always seem to be swigging down drinks or chain smokingnowadays other devices are used. Some movies just dont stand up to the passage of time, Bicycle Thieves and Jules and Jim come to mind.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Yeah, but what do you compare when the plot's different?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Who plays Rover in the new version.
;)

Sorry, my heart belongs to McGoohan and Leo McKern.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 pm

I don't even recall if there is a Rover. (Oh yeah, there is the big ball ... but it really didn't strike me the same way. There's also a "hole" that characters fall into. It's really a totally different plot. I've watched all the episodes except the last, and I have to say that even the intro for the old show is more interesting. But, again, I think it's an unfair comparison. I will rewatch it from the beginning again, though. It may be great on its own. I do agree that there are too many explicit answers.
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Btw, I just saw this on amazon.com:

Save 59% on "The Prisoner" on Blu-ray or DVD
Today only, save 59% on the classic British sci-fi series "The Prisoner," starring Patrick McGoohan. Pick it up in a Blu-ray collection with a new transfer and new bonus features, or in a DVD Collector's Edition.

The Prisoner: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (1968)
Patrick McGoohanList Price: $99.95
Our Price: $40.99
You Save: $58.96 (59%)

In Stock The Prisoner: The Complete Series Megaset (Collector's Edition)
Patrick McGoohan List Price: $69.95
Our Price: $28.99
You Save: $40.96 (59%)

Imo, 28 bucks is a steal.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm

The original series was awesome, one of the best television shows EVER in my opinion.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Agree with chud. One of the best series ever, and definitely the best of the "secret-agent action" genre that was popular in the 60s.
And the Amazon deal is outstanding, Steve. I'm looking into it.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:48 pm

The new one drags on and the explanation in the end was not satisfying. Still, it was well made and Ian McKellen is always good.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Interloper wrote:Agree with chud. One of the best series ever, and definitely the best of the "secret-agent action" genre that was popular in the 60s.

All I can think of after reading your interest in buying those DVD's is: How many chicken cloacas is she going to have to apply ointment to in order to come up with thirty bucks? ;D :-*
Michael

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am

kreese wrote:The new one drags on and the explanation in the end was not satisfying. Still, it was well made and Ian McKellen is always good.

It rarely is - better to leave it unknown......monsters are always scarier when they stay in the shadows, TV series are always better if they aren't explained, and rumsoakedfist posters are always martial legends until they post a video clip... ;D

It's just how things are.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Michael wrote:
Interloper wrote:Agree with chud. One of the best series ever, and definitely the best of the "secret-agent action" genre that was popular in the 60s.

All I can think of after reading your interest in buying those DVD's is: How many chicken cloacas is she going to have to apply ointment to in order to come up with thirty bucks? ;D :-*

Yes, that's a lot of chicken butts, Michael. I consider it a noble investment, though, to have the complete Prisoner series. The Gilliam-esque opening graphic of the gate slamming in front of McGoohan's disembodied face, alone, is worth it. And having Leo McKern in his pre-Rumpole glory is a value-added.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic