Orca-Fu

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Orca-Fu

Postby Bill on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 am

Moments before the deadly blow. The raised fin is about to come crashing down like a karate chop on a shark (circled). It has been driven to the surface by the orca before this coup de grace

No escape. A killer whale with a Mako shark in its grasp. After stunning the shark, the orca grasps the dazed creature and flips it upside down. When sharks are quickly flipped upside down, they enter a paralysed state known as 'tonic immobility' - making for an easy meal

These incredible pictures demonstrate how orca whales use a 'karate chop' to stun and then finish off killer sharks.
In a rare battle of beasts these images show how several populations of skilled killer whales around the world have learned how to overcome huge sharks, that most animals give a wide berth.

Using a combination of superior brain power and brute force, the highly-intelligent orcas are able to catch and eat what many think of as the ocean's top predators.

The notorious Great White and Mako are just two of at least nine species of shark known to be on the menu for some orca families.
Populations of orcas in territories across the globe - including New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Farallon Islands off America's West Coast - have devised a number of strategies with which to take down their mighty adversaries.

But to make sure they don't end up seriously injured when attacking such dangerous prey, the orcas spend years perfecting the various techniques and watching more experienced adults demonstrate how to do it properly.

'The most impressive strategy is the 'karate chop'," said expert Dr Ingrid Visser, 43, who has studied orca behaviour for 17 years.
'The orca will use its tail to drive the shark to the surface. They don't even touch it. Using an up-thrust of its tail it creates a vortex which pushes the shark up on the current they create with their movements.

'Once the shark is at the surface, the killer whale pivots and lifts its tail out of the water and comes down on top of it like a karate chop.

With the shark dazed, the orca grasps the dazed shark and turns it upside down - giving a mind-boggling impression that the killer whale understands shark biology. When sharks are quickly flipped upside down, they enter paralysed state known as 'tonic immobility' - making for an easy meal.

'It's not that the orca understands the physiology of the shark,' said Dr Visser, from Tutukaka, North Island, New Zealand.. 'But it does demonstrate that they understand the behavioural consequences of what will happen if they take a certain action.

'You don't need to understand how a car works in order to drive it. All you need to know is the individual behaviours that make the car go.

'In the same way, it seems the orcas that can do this have learned that if they turn the shark upside down, they don't fight back. They simply manipulate that to their advantage.'

Other methods observed by scientists include 'corralling', where groups of orcas circle a lone shark and ram it at the least dangerous opportunity, or stealthily approaching the shark from directly below and catching it off guard in a violent sneak attack at its underbelly.

'They always eventually turn the shark upside down," added Dr Visser. "At that point the shark cannot fight back, it has been a successful hunt and they can feed.'
She added: 'We don't think that the orcas are specifically making a decision to go out and hunt shark. The marine world can be a difficult place to find food. When there is an opportunity, an orca will take it.'
Dr Visser is a leading orca researcher and has pioneered several discoveries in orca behaviour. She was the first to record orcas hunting hammerhead and thresher sharks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z0YMBjcyPe
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Orca-Fu

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:04 am

I was going to post about this a while back. There had been a Discovery Channel show on this. It's funny that this pod's technique is described as a karate chop. What I had wanted to say was that their technique for flipping the shark was more like bagua. To get the shark upended, the whales have learned to attack with their own bodies upside-down. They bite the shark, and then simply turn over. I thought it was a great example of 'enter crooked, come out straight.'

The other thing I wondered about was whether this was simply the first times humans have seen this, or whether it was something that the whales have just learned. I mean, have the whales been doing this for millions of years? Or, could it be something that they learned (from us, maybe). Anyway, on the show, they also discovered that sharks don't like the smell of their own dead. When orcas attack and kill a shark, the rest of the shark population literally disappears. They're already making a shark repellent from it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:13 am

The latest episode of Life, on Hunters and Hunted has some great Orca-Fu. Stuns a seal by bashing it up into the air then chows down.

UK-only I believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nd_Hunted/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:14 am

Steve James wrote: It's funny that this pod's technique is described as a karate chop. What I had wanted to say was that their technique for flipping the shark was more like bagua. To get the shark upended, the whales have learned to attack with their own bodies upside-down. They bite the shark, and then simply turn over. I thought it was a great example of 'enter crooked, come out straight.'

Yeah. Defintely high level internal, not low level external. But then again, this was the Daily Mail - what do they know?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:25 am

GrahamB wrote:The latest episode of Life, on Hunters and Hunted has some great Orca-Fu. Stuns a seal by bashing it up into the air then chows down.

UK-only I believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... nd_Hunted/

And here it is on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewZD5IzlL6Q

This unique footage is a fantastic example of orcas' intelligence and adaptability. The BBC team found out about a pod of nine whales in the Falklands that contains one particular female with an amazing hunting technique: she has learned to enter the "nursery" pool of young elephant seals -- with her calf in tow -- and ambush them inside their own safe zone.

From episode 7 (Hunters and Hunted) of the BBC series "Life" -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lbpcy

Preorder on Blu-ray and DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0...
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 am

Tremendous, awesome footage - sweeps everything posted in the "Badass" thread right off the table.

The leaping great whites of South Africa are now officially old hat and, well...boring.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

funny... if I were to see this in a 'jaws' style horror movie I'd be thinking "oh come on....that's so fake..."
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Orcas have been one of my top favorite animals since I was a little kid.
They're incredible and awe-inspiring in so many respects.
8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:56 pm

I always knew Shamu was a badass.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic