Cell Phones

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Cell Phones

Postby qiphlow on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm

try here:
http://www.prepaidreviews.com/
you may get some useful info out of it.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm

wow, plenty of luddites here.

some of you are more paranoid than a blind guy who needs to jerk off. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 pm

paranoid? I'm just frugal.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Paranoid? I'm just poor.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Paranoid? More people need to talk less.

And
-I don't need one for any reason. I spend 99% of my time near a land line phone. It would be a toy.
-The pay schemes are ripoffs in the US. So it would be an expensive, useless toy.
-They *still* sound like shit (it's been 20+ years already - you think they'd have that figured out by now) and get poor reception outside of cities, especially in the western wastelands of the US, which is where I live & vacation.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Thomas Edison argued that AC current was dangerous. My grandmom's friends called the telephone a 'witch cord,' but they wouldn't touch one if it started raining. As far as cancer, I don't know. If the cause is radiation, then there are shields if you have to keep one pasted to your ear all day. Otoh, if it's just the presence of radiation, in general, then we get bombarded every day if we live in an urban environment. Almost everyone gets cancers. The only question is the severity and the diagnosis. Anyway, before we had all this fancy dancy stuff, people died from other causes --including falls from horses and mountains getting to the next village to share the news :).

Now, all you guys who are complaining about cell phones will really start to shit bricks if Tesla's ideas ever come into practice.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Bar is right about the sound quality. Friggin' horrendous. If you want ripoff pay schemes, come over here. The per minute charge varies according to a number of factors: time of day, your location, the other caller's location, your particular plan, and the other caller's particular plan. Charges are so crazy and unpredictable that many people I know never answer their phones, but always call the other person back using a special code to mitigate the relative difference in the factors listed above.
Michael

Postby Interloper on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Steve James wrote:Thomas Edison argued that AC current was dangerous. My grandmom's friends called the telephone a 'witch cord,' but they wouldn't touch one if it started raining. As far as cancer, I don't know. If the cause is radiation, then there are shields if you have to keep one pasted to your ear all day. Otoh, if it's just the presence of radiation, in general, then we get bombarded every day if we live in an urban environment. Almost everyone gets cancers. The only question is the severity and the diagnosis. Anyway, before we had all this fancy dancy stuff, people died from other causes --including falls from horses and mountains getting to the next village to share the news :).

Now, all you guys who are complaining about cell phones will really start to shit bricks if Tesla's ideas ever come into practice.

I worked for some time as an educator and public demonstrator for a large science museum with a gigantic Tesla coil, and the original Van deGraff generator, too. Got to sit in a Faraday cage and zap myself with a million volts every Friday, do stage demos with a smaller generator and Tesla coil, and tell the fun stories of Nikola Tesla and his hijinks in Colorado Springs. Good times. And no, I don't seem to have suffered any longterm effects, though at the time my hair stood on end. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Also, your balls will explode.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Bär wrote:-The pay schemes are ripoffs in the US. So it would be an expensive, useless toy.

i use t mobile and have a blackberry i have a plan that includes international service that i need for work with that sure it is expensive but the basic plan without the international service is less than the basic home land line service that is available here in atlanta.

i think cell phones may be cheaper than you think...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 pm

My cellphone service is about $75 per month --including internet access for $35 and unlimited long distance. A landline with unlimited long-distance alone costs $55, not counting the taxes. If I got my internet through Verizon, it'd add about $30. So, for me, it'd end up the same. Otoh, a "basic" service (limited local and pay per call long-distance) is only $25 bucks. Without internet access, my wireless would be about $40. Overall, I don't think there's a big cost difference. Of course, that's based on the way I use my phone. Some of my students pay more than $100 because their plans include unlimited texts. They text so much that it's cheaper that way than paying 5 cents per text.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic