more politics to argue about

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

more politics to argue about

Postby qiphlow on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 pm

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama outlined new multibillion-dollar stimulus and jobs proposals Tuesday, saying the nation must continue to "spend our way out of this recession" until more Americans are back at work.
Without giving a price tag, Obama proposed a package of new spending for highway, bridge and other infrastructure projects, deeper tax breaks for small businesses and tax incentives to encourage people to make their homes more energy efficient.

or....
we could stop trying to rearrange the middle east to our liking.

full article here.
Last edited by qiphlow on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Re: more politics to argue about

Postby Bill on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:08 pm

qiphlow wrote:
Without giving a price tag, Obama proposed a package of new spending for highway, bridge and other infrastructure projects, deeper tax breaks for small businesses and tax incentives to encourage people to make their homes more energy efficient.

That all sounds good to me.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Governments cause problems, solution, abolish all governments.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Just one small problem. It isn't going to work. You can't "spend your way out of a recession". Just printing more money always makes things worse and actually speeds up the process. I wish these politicians would look to history like reading about the Roman empire and how they were doing the exact same shit before their crash. Won't be long before we are all working for the government due to all of their "stimulus".
Chris Fleming

Postby Teazer on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Just one small problem. It isn't going to work. You can't "spend your way out of a recession". Just printing more money always makes things worse and actually speeds up the process.

I think opinions are mixed on that one. The US can certainly increase gdp up to whatever level they fancy by government spending either based on borrowing or increasing the money supply. The problem has always been how bad politicians are at turning off the money hose, and whether we can afford the long term consequences that get kicked down the road.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:You can't "spend your way out of a recession".

What ended the great depression, the New Deal or WWII?
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby Interloper on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Just one small problem. It isn't going to work. You can't "spend your way out of a recession". Just printing more money always makes things worse and actually speeds up the process. I wish these politicians would look to history like reading about the Roman empire and how they were doing the exact same shit before their crash. Won't be long before we are all working for the government due to all of their "stimulus".

Chris,
Do you really think the U.S. government would print more money without anything to back it up? Of course not! They'll borrow more from the Chinese government!
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Gee qiphlow, when you put a thread title like that on the thing it takes the fun out of yelling at each other.
Michael

Postby qiphlow on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 pm

i know. but i figure we'll find a way to have a spirited argument about the topic and then completely derail the thing anyway.
:)
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Chris Fleming

Postby meeks on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:55 pm

I wish these politicians would look to history like reading about the Roman empire and how they were doing the exact same shit before their crash.

you mean politicians are using lead pipe in their waterways?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Return to Off the Topic