Shotgun Recommendations?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shotgun Recommendations?

Postby Bob on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 am

Got children around?

If yes, get yourself an old fashion double-barrel 12 guage--very certain with regard to whether its loaded or unloaded--check out a gun show for possible choices.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:07 pm

870 Reminton set up as 'riot' home defense gun is classic---

But my choice is.....

Mossberg 590 military with bayonet lug how cool is that! You can even practice your Hsing-i bayonet form with it- just don't pull the trigger!! not like this wasteful dude who destroyed a perfectly good salad. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOdHIO2S1AA
Last edited by Chanchu on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Nothing wrong with Mossbergs nor Remmies....just keep in mind that the only thing those specific models are good for are home defense. Something like the Benelli is good all around.
JAB

Postby Bill on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey bill quit stealing my flame i already recommended the AA12
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:50 am

Any drug-addled, homicidal, chavvy shitebag of a perp who dares to break into this Englishman's castle of fucking death had better come forewarned...
FIRST I throw my daughter at him;
THEN I get behind the wife.
And if THAT doesnt work...
THEN I hide in the corner and blubber like a pouffe while begging for mercy and leaking a puddle of piddle.

Shotties, bayonets, martial arts...seriously lads, life is so much simpler if you are a worthless wimp, simp and coward.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:52 am

Gosh, I never knew you were so, so, EDIT. ;D
Last edited by Michael on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby zenman on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:42 am

Before I moved to Asia, I kept a Mossberg 590 under my bed (no kids around). With 9 shots, alternating slugs and buckshot, I felt very safe.
zenman
Anjing

Postby Bill on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:08 am

For home defence, why use any thing other than birdshot? It's not like you're going to have to shoot through a car door or anything.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Alternating slugs and buckshot is a stupid notion to put it nicely.
First off a slug will travel thru a minimum of 8 layers of drywall - that means penetration
into not only the kids room from any other room in the house but the neighbors kid's
room as well. Second - how the hell do you know whether you have next round slug or buckshot?
Candy cane is fun to talk about, but seriously, WTF? Birdshot is The Word on home defense.
roger hao

Postby Dr.Rob on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 pm

First two are bird shot...yes then a slug. I perfer a rifled barrel with a scope. The slug Roger is referred to as " Oh Fuk Too Far" its when the assailant is running to his vehicle. ;D hahhhhahahhh
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Fwiw, I agree that there's no need to use alternate ammo. If the slug is considered more lethal, then why have it 2nd or 3rd in line? It's kind of impractical, imo, to think that you're going to have a choice when the time comes or that the best round/shot/slug will be ready when you need it. Well, ok, just to be pedantic, you're really supposed to load the weapon "when" you intend to use it. But, that's totally impractical for home defense ---Unless you have early warning. Iow, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If, otoh, you don't want to be lethal --which is probably the more dangerous course, legally and tactically-- then you'd still want the same type of ammo loaded. To me, it's like going hunting with alternating rounds of bear and squirrel ammo. If you meet the bear first, better have the big rounds loaded. If it's the squirrel, ... So, I'd say "load for bear." When it comes to people, however, shot works just as good as shells (in smooth bores) at the ranges we're talking about. In fact, shot is just like a slug at 10-15 feet (I mean the dispersion pattern). Ok, at that range, why not get a .45 if the alternative is a shotgun slug? But, we're talking legal, right? and safe for the rest of the family?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 pm

It occurs to me to add, all of the recommendations you've gotten are good. Any will do fine. I would suggest, whatever you pick, put a light on it. Some people, doubtless, will say this is folly. A gun with a headlight on it makes you a big fat target.

In a situation where that is the biggest problem, you have a simple option. Don't turn on the light.

Turn on the light when you think you ought to shoot but you are not quite clear on what at. (See Rule 4 at http://www.squidoo.com/gunsafety.

Take the light off of the gun and leave it at home when hunting where-and-when lights are illegal. Even if it's broad daylight, some over eager game warden may write you up for suspicion of "jacklighting" if you have the thing on there.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm

JAB wrote:Nothing wrong with Mossbergs nor Remmies....just keep in mind that the only thing those specific models are good for are home defense. Something like the Benelli is good all around.

In the yes-but department, it's quick and easy to switch the Remington or Mossberg riot gun barrel for a longer barrel with choke tubes, or a rifled barrel, or whatnot. (Get your sporting barrels at Brownells, Midway, etc.)

I wouldn't argue with anyone who prefers the Benelli, it's an excellent gun. But among autoloaders, I still best like the old Browning Auto-5. It's been to war too, as the British L32a1. You may notice from the picture that it is, indeed, the much beloved duck gun, but with a riot barrel and swivels. Someone was being practical in his thinking!

Last edited by klonk on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Klonk
Absolutely can change the barrells. All depends on your level and what not. If you are semi serious shooter of clay, it will make a difference. If you are the casual shooter having fun, doing some hunting, probably will not notice the difference!
JAB

Previous

Return to Off the Topic