Hactivisim!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Hactivisim!

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

What this video does not talk about are the actual hackers who can ghost tens of thousands of computers (without anyone knowing) to do this same thing but regardless of that, it is still an interesting concept of protesting.
Chris Fleming

Re: Hactivisim!

Postby chimerical tortoise on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:24 am

Behind the Great Firewall of China (and haven't learned how to access youtube), but I think you'll get a kick out of this:

http://sniggle.net/hacktivism.php

The rest of the site itself is... rather fun to read. Enjoy! :)
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby cdobe on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 am

The artists’ group etoy had been on-line with their web site for two years before the eToys company was formed with an on-line toy store. Still, eToys felt it was within their rights to shut down the etoy site for infringing on their brand new brand name — they sued and won a temporary injunction.

Network Solutions, the company that supervises the assignment and maintenance of domain names (like “etoy.com”) was just getting started in the rolling-over to corporate interests business, but they got the hang of it quick. They shut down the etoy.com domain.

This infuriated on-line activists, like John Perry Barlow of the Electronic Freedom Foundation, who were horrified by the idea that a corporation could form in the U.S., adopt a trademark, and then use that to steal the site of a previously established Swiss group with a similar name.

Rather than attack in the courts or the arbitration system of Network Solutions, both of which are hopelessly biased in favor of business interests — friends of etoy went on the offensive in their own way — launching what they called TOYWAR:

“TOYWAR worked like a swarm of bees. hundreds of well-informed people and media experts contested the aggressor on every level… result: within 2 months the eToys Inc. stock (NASDAQ: ETYS) dropped from $67 (the day the battle started) to $15 (the day eToys Inc. finally dropped the case). TOYWAR was the most expensive performance in art history: $4.5 billion in damage!”
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 am

chimerical tortoise wrote:Behind the Great Firewall of China (and haven't learned how to access youtube)...

http://thefreevpn.com/

You're welcome.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby chimerical tortoise on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:08 am

unfortunately I have a mac. :(
but thanks, Bailewen, the thought is very appreciated

still, no worries, I'm only here for a month, a lack of facebook/youtube/pron can only be a good thing imho!
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:10 am

there would likely be all sorts of proxy jump outs by now i would think.

I mean we're talking about a nation that has over a billion people, with about 200 million windows users
and not a single licensed copy of windows in the entire country. ;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:43 pm

You'd be surprised Darth. The Great Firewall is pretty slick. There's tons of websites where you can put your url in and get "proxified" but the servers they send you to typically do not have flash properly installed (wierd) or maybe it's something else. I just know that youtube always loads on those things with a message saying I need the latest flash to view the thing.

How ironic about the Mac. lol. I guess Mac's really do suck :x :)

Chemerical Tortoise,

If you decide you need a youtube/facebook fix you can always use Fr33Gate on a flash drive and go to an internet bar. It doesn't require installation. Just plug it in and double click and IE gets set to use an American proxy. I'd have to email it to you though because Chinese firewall filters block all mentions of the program. (hence the use of l33t spelling just now).
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I recently found this one to bypass the annoying regional limitations of youtube:
http://www.hidemyass.com/
cdobe
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic