Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 am

Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena: thanks Somatai

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/ ... ena-1.html
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm

several of those have been explained already.

for instance: deja vu was shown to be an event that occurred because information cae from one eye to the brain and was processed before the other sides and so, when the other side finally processed, well it was beaten to the punch by the previously processed info and so the brain tells you, you've already seen this.

some of the others are a bit sensational and if people want to believe in ghosts and shit, then all power to them and their superstitious ways. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:05 pm

#1 - the taos hum. I could hear it but I had no idea what it was, I just figured it was some highway up on the mountain or something. Explains why the locals acted strange when I was asking about it and then I thought they were just messing with me when they said "no one knows what it is.". ;D

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:23 pm

there's also a lot of pot smoking hippy artist types in Taos.

lol

and it is likely a combination of power grid, underground water and the highway you mentioned
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Well, in that case, the phenomenon has been perceived, but hasn't been explained. The first thing I was going to ask was whether the was high pitched or low. People do have upper and lower limits, and that changes with age. That's why there's a phone ringer that is so high-pitched that only teens and slightly older can hear. Iow, their parents can't. Then there are also "deaf spots" in a person's hearing that are equivalent to blind spots. So, if there have been recording instruments and they haven't picked up anything, then there's no explanation or they're looking in the wrong place.

As for ghosts, to say that they're unexplained is to accept they exist or that "they" are perceived --by mediums or ordinary people. I dunno. Of course, I could also say that mutants with super powers are also unexplained.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 pm

[quote="Steve James"As for ghosts, to say that they're unexplained is to accept they exist or that "they" are perceived --by mediums or ordinary people. I dunno. Of course, I could also say that mutants with super powers are also unexplained.[/quote]

Except for the fact that ghosts have been seen for as long as recorded history (at least)... ;)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Okay, and fairies are older than aliens from Mars. So, if you see any, you wouldn't be the first :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Ah, but "ghosts" have been seen in all areas of the world, whereas "fairies" tend to be indigenous to the British Isles (though similar "little people" have been seen throughout the world, and an actual physical body of one of them, known as the Pedro Mountain Mummy, has even been examined scientifically). There are truly more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in most people's philosophies... ;)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm

And if aliens exist, they aren't from Mars... ;D
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:there's also a lot of pot smoking hippy artist types in Taos.

lol

and it is likely a combination of power grid, underground water and the highway you mentioned

Only thing is that there is no highway. I was the only one who could hear it and until today I didn't know it was a phenomena, I just thought I was crazy because I was the only one hearing it. To me it sounded like a low constant hum, similar to a semi truck on a highway only it doesn't come and go, it's continuous. There's no way I could live in Taos because of it.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:19 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:there's also a lot of pot smoking hippy artist types in Taos.

lol

Only thing is that there is no highway. I was the only one who could hear it and until today I didn't know it was a phenomena, I just thought I was crazy because I was the only one hearing it. To me it sounded like a low constant hum, similar to a semi truck truck on a highway only it doesn't come and go, it's continuous. There's no way I could live in Taos because of it..

Don't worry, it's just the fairies and aliens from Mars... ;D
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Sound can act like a strobe, well, theoretically. So, it might be a combination of vibrations that cause some people to react badly.

Cerebus, let's not forget, Mars was an Olympian.... coulda been a mutant.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Steve James wrote:Cerebus, let's not forget, Mars was an Olympian.... coulda been a mutant.

Meh, local mythology is one thing, that which is (seemingly) universal as well as timeless is (in my own opinion) something else... ;)
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, the idea of a "god of war" is fairly universal, though I take your point. Naming the red planet after a divine being is fairly local.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 pm

The thing with "ghosts" is that I've actually seen.... "things" which are somewhat inexplicable. Mind you, I'm not a "believer" in anything except "possibilities", and accept that the things I've seen may have many other explanations, but still there have been some amazingly weird things....
cerebus
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic