Putting Vick's on the Feet for coughs?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Putting Vick's on the Feet for coughs?

Postby everything on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 am

Some people advise putting Vick's on children's feet to help with night time coughing. My mom is also putting some kind of herb home remedy on her feet at night for something else. She supposedly got it from TCM. Anyone else have some experience with these 'foot remedies' for other maladies?

here is one possible explanation:
The principle of 'counter-irritation'

The remedy wouldn't have seemed so strange to doctors a hundred years ago, who often prescribed liniments and poultices containing mild irritants such as mustard, garlic, or camphor to the chest and to the soles of the feet to relieve symptoms of colds and whooping cough. Like Vicks VapoRub -- the active ingredients of which include camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol -- these preparations would have had the effect of stimulating blood flow to the skin. Catalogued under the heading of "counter-irritants" in early twentieth-century medical texts, such treatments were based on the principle that "internal morbid processes may at times be relieved by creating external irritations" (Horatio Charles Wood in Therapeutics: Its Principles and Practice, 1908).

To be sure, there was vigorous debate over how counter-irritants actually worked. "One commonly offered explanation," wrote pharmacologist Horatio Wood at the time, "is that there is only a certain amount of blood in the body, and that if the blood be drawn to one part there must be less in another part. Surely, however, the amount of blood drawn to the skin by a mustard plaster is too small sensibly to affect the general mass in the body. It is more probable that the phenomena of counter-irritation are the result of reflex disturbances of the vaso-motor nerves which influence the size of the blood vessels, or of the trophic nerves which directly affect nutrition."
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Putting Vick's on the Feet for coughs?

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:41 pm

When I was a youngster, my mother and grandmother used to rub it on my chest, not my feet. ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:07 am

It might depend on where the family wants the hair to grow in the future. Perhaps everything is really a hobbit?
Michael

Postby jasonf on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:48 am

On a serious note, it makes some sense, the feet are are like a control panel for the body, lots of important accupressure points that connect to the organs, muscles...generally when someone is sick their feet get cold, my wife (chinese) always pushes me to soak my feet in warm water if I'm feeling sore, run down, or show any sign of a cold.
By putting anything that might draw some more blood down into the feet and improve the circulation sounds like the same idea...but there is only one way to find out, try and see what happens.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:54 am

By putting anything that might draw some more blood down into the feet and improve the circulation sounds like the same idea.

Putting capsicum in your socks will bring blood to your feet, if that's the idea. Any sort of grease will do it, too, but I'm not sure how that'd affect a cough.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:55 am

everything wrote:Some people advise putting Vick's on children's feet to help with night time coughing.

Man, I thought my in-laws were the only people in the world who did that. They swear by Vick's, on the feet and chest.
chud
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:50 am

Have you heard of scraping?

you rub a liniment oil on your back and get a coin and keep scraping the skin until it bruises. this supposedly helps a cold and cough. my wife who is thai does this. A Cambodian gf from past did it was well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gua_Sha
neijia_boxer

Postby Michael on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:07 am

Yeah, but you need to post a warning about letting your Chinese father gua sha your son in St. Louis or the child protective service goons will give you the royal treatment!
Michael

Postby bailewen on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:39 am

I'm more of a fan of the "survivor of giant squid attack" look produced from cupping.

Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:27 am

those are actually spade bruises on her back from the dude she's gettin' nailed by...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby kreese on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:29 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:Have you heard of scraping?

you rub a liniment oil on your back and get a coin and keep scraping the skin until it bruises. this supposedly helps a cold and cough. my wife who is thai does this. A Cambodian gf from past did it was well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gua_Sha

I've had it done once. It was slow torture.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic