No Rise of Atmospheric CO2 Fraction in Past 160 Years

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: No Rise of Atmospheric CO2 Fraction in Past 160 Years

Postby bailewen on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes. I get it now. The annoying thing is that there is a lot of psychological projection on this topic. It's not a rational debate IMO and the deniers use the same argument to refute the consensus of the mainstream scientific community. They get suckered by a couple of fossil fuel industry gorrilla marketing ads and manage to latch on to the single study that contradicts the mainstream view and say, "aha! See! There's no consensus...scientists are always disagreeing with each other...they don't know what they believe...." etc. They pick and choose to support their beliefs and then project their prejudices outwards.

IMO, it's no coincidence that the players on these threads line up exactly the same weather the topic is climate change, evolution or 911. There's a certain mindset that feels for some reason that the armchair quarterback has a better grip on the issue than the experts or that the experts are all part of some big conspiracy. I don't think this argument has anything to do with climate change at all. It's something more to do with a general distrust of authority regardless of what form it takes.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:44 pm

In American politics that movement tarces back to Andrew Jackson... I agree with your assessment.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Fu Mei on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:01 pm

bailewen wrote:...IMO, it's no coincidence that the players on these threads line up exactly the same weather the topic is climate change, evolution or 911.....

Was that pun intended? ;)
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Walter Joyce wrote:
bailewen wrote:So you actually don't believe mainstream science?

Who are you asking?

bailewen wrote:Yes, Walter, that was aimed at you.
[...]
But now I am not sure what you meant by that

Walter Joyce wrote:To clarify my position, [...]
It was never my intent to imply otherwise.

bailewen wrote:Thanks for clarifying, Walter. I apparently misinterpreted this comment of yours: [...]

I had read it in the exact opposite way you intended it.

Walter Joyce wrote:I meant it in the sense of [...]

bailewen wrote:Yes. I get it now.

That's right Omar. Walter has a way with words. ;D ;D ;D

(Sorry Walter, you know I respect you man, -- just couldn't help pulling yer leg on this one. It was just too perfect. ;D)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:41 pm

"The annoying thing is that there is a lot of psychological projection on this topic"

Yes Omar, it is very annoying indeed.
Chris Fleming

Postby Walter Joyce on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Dimitri,

No worries, I'm better in person. The inflection in my speech makes it pretty clear where I stand. Text is so flat.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Fu Mei wrote:
bailewen wrote:...IMO, it's no coincidence that the players on these threads line up exactly the same weather the topic is climate change, evolution or 911.....

Was that pun intended? ;)

lol. No actually, it was the spellchecker all the way. I thought it looked odd but just figured the spell checker knew better. :P
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby PartridgeRun on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Starting in the early 1990s, three large American industry groups set to work on strategies to cast doubt on the science of climate change. Even though the oil industry’s own scientists had declared, as early as 1995, that human-induced climate change was undeniable, the American Petroleum Institute, the Western Fuels Association (a coal-fired electrical industry consortium) and a Philip Morris-sponsored anti-science group called TASSC all drafted and promoted campaigns of climate change disinformation.

The success of those plans is self-evident. A Yale/George Mason University poll taken late in 2008 showed that — 20 years after President George H.W. Bush promised to beat the greenhouse effect with the “White House effect” — a clear majority of Americans still say they either doubt the science of climate change or they just don’t know. Climate Cover-Up explains why they don’t know. Tracking the global warming denial movement from its inception, public relations advisor James Hoggan (working with journalist Richard Littlemore), reveals the details of those early plans and then tracks their execution, naming names and exposing tactics in what has become a full-blown attack on the integrity of the public conversation.

Leveraging four years of original research conducted through Hoggan’s website, DeSmogBlog.com, Hoggan and Littlemore documented the participation of lapsed scientists and ExxonMobil-funded think tanks. Then they analyzed and explained how mainstream media stood by — or in some cases colluded — while deniers turned a clear issue of science (and an issue for public safety) into a partisan argument that no one could win.

This book will open your eyes, it will raise your ire and, most especially, it will inspire you to take back the truth — to end the Climate Cover-up.

http://www.amazon.com/Climate-Cover-Up- ... 752&sr=8-1

Whenever the issue of climate change has come up on this board the denialists have never - not once - been able to rationally debate the facts without falling back on articles which have been shown - again and again and again - to be severely lacking in the credibility department. I've said it before and Imma gonna say it again: the details matter and every viewpoint is not created equal.
You denialists scream government control, infringement of private liberty, corporate control and whatnot... what thick irony...what a fukkin' travesty.
The book linked to in the above is well-sourced, meaning you can actually go out and investigate and research the claims made in it. Somehow I just know that the denialists can't ever be bothered to do that though. At every turn they've proven themselves too intellectually lazy to do such a thing.
"The bank was saved, but the people were ruined."
- Henry M. Gouge, circa 1830
“No civilization can survive the physical destruction of its resource base.”
- Bruce Sterling
PartridgeRun
Anjing

Postby Walter Joyce on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 am

Why read a book and check the citations when you can find clips of interviews on the internet? (Note: in person my voice and facial expression would clearly indicate that I was being sarcastic when I said this.)

Thank you PartridgeRun. (I am being sincere here.)

But of course you were fed this by the television, right? (See first paranthetical above.)

Notes to this comment were inspired by my friend Dmitri. ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by Walter Joyce on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:43 am

Walter Joyce wrote:Notes to this comment were inspired by my friend Dmitri. ;D ;D ;D

Hey I'm just trying to help you grow as a writer. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:11 am

"You denialists scream government control, infringement of private liberty, corporate control and whatnot... what thick irony...what a fukkin' travesty."

Don't see the irony, but it is a fucking travesty. Once again, we have the name calling and labeling with the term "denialist" from the same people who want to cast themselves as with the "winning" and "intelligent" and "rational" side for the sake of winning-by-association, in their own minds.

The travesty is, and I know this is hard for the "intelligent" to grasp, that if the globe is warming, then it is warming. There isn't a damn thing that can be accomplished or saved or solved by attempting to tax and control people. Wake up.
Chris Fleming

Postby Walter Joyce on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 am

It is NOT about tax and control.

And there very well be things that can be done.

As for name-calling, kettle, I'd like you to meet pot. I believe you have something in common.

Dmitri,

So how am I doing on that growth thing?

I expect periodic evaluations. ;)
Last edited by Walter Joyce on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 am

Walter Joyce wrote:It is NOT about tax and control.

And there very well be things that can be done.

It is nothing but tax and control. Wake up.
Chris Fleming

Postby Walter Joyce on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 am

I am awake, please stop insulting my intelligence with your derision, if you can't do that, then put me on ignore.

Walter Joyce
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic