Ayn Rand - are you kidding me

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Ayn Rand - are you kidding me

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:19 am

Anyway, if you're privileged or believe that you have something to lose, then it's easy (natural) to be conservative. If you feel disenfranchised (in whatever system), then it's more likely that you'll see life differently, but you won't necessarily be liberal. You'll just wish you could be conservative, if you're hopeful. Otoh, if you have something to lose, but you give some away anyway, then you're a humanitarian --but not necessarily a liberal. When you want to give away what you haven't got, then you're liberal. They're the ones conservatives fear the most; the ones who they're afraid want to give away "their" (whatever) money :).

one doesn't require to be monied to be conservative in thinking or ideology. Besides, the point of AS isn't about conservatism, it's about how a great many people are nothing more than a burden on a smaller amount of people and when it comes right down to it, there are few of value to the whole and the whole detracts from it's own value by being filled with what amounts to non contributors. The people who are clear minded and are contributors can give up all money, give away all possessions and retire away. This is exactly what happens in the novel. the mob is left to it's own devices and it spirals into chaos of course.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:38 am

one doesn't require to be monied to be conservative in thinking or ideology

Fwiw, that's why I wrote "believe that you have something to lose". You can be dirt poor and be conservative. You can be a Democrat and be conservative. But, re: AS, it's precisely those who are conservative and have resources they want to conserve who believe that others (the masses, the mob, or the majority) are burdens on them. That's not so much an ideology as a social-economic perspective. Besides, what I wrote was partly tongue in cheek --hence the smiley. Btw, I got the saying from an old construction worker when I was in the business. This was in the early 70s. He said "Conservatives want to save; Liberals want to give away." He was being serious, though.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 am

All good and well!
My only humourous observation is that these guys say they worship an ideology but they actions show the opposite in deed and public prononcements and the masses are none the wiser! I might as well take Elmer Fudd as my diety!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby affa on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:there are few of value to the whole and the whole detracts from it's own value by being filled with what amounts to non contributors

a product of her time, of course... but completely ignorant of complex systems dynamics, nonetheless.
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm

they actions show the opposite in deed and public prononcements

Civilization 101. Except for the Spartans, history is filled mostly with societies (and leaders) who do just the above.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Er, not that I admire the Spartans; it's just that they were honest. Probably another reason they didn't get along with the Athenians :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Bär
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 pm

^^^
that was a pretty cool photo set!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 pm

It's quite well known by now, that many a great mind lived far from an average life.

Many artists are dancing on the edge of a cliff at all times. It's how the art manifests itself.

Many prolific and profound authors were drunks, drug addicts, addicts in a broader sense or all of the above.

You are simply not going to get good literature from someone who has led a dry and boring life. lol.

It's the principle reason why asian pop music sucks so badly. lol, just wanted to throw that in there. I hate asian pop twice as much as american. ;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Weren't the MD's handing out speed like popcorn in those days as a fill-in for their cure-all, Sir Laudanum? Need a little "pick-me-up"?
Michael

Postby Bär on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

NO JUNK NO FUNK.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Actually,
Methadone was developed in 1939 Germany by scientists working for I.G. Farbenkonzern at the Farbwerke Hoechst (it is synthesised from 1,1-diphenylbutane-2-sulfonic acid and dimethylamino-2-chloropropane) who were looking for an synthetic opioid that could be created with readily available precursors to solve Germany's opium shortage problem.[2]
On September 11, 1941 Bockmühl and Ehrhart filed an application for a patent for a synthetic substance they called Hoechst 10820 or polamidon (a name still in regular use in Germany) and whose structure had no relation to morphine or the opiate alkaloids (Bockmühl and Ehrhart, 1949).

Amphetamine was first synthesized in 1887 by the Romanian chemist Lazăr Edeleanu in Berlin, Germany.[5] He named the compound phenylisopropylamine. It was one of a series of compounds related to the plant derivative ephedrine, which had been isolated from Ma-Huang that same year by Nagayoshi Nagai.[6] No pharmacological use was found for amphetamine until 1927, when pioneer psychopharmacologist Gordon Alles resynthesized and tested it on himself, in search of an artificial replacement for ephedrine. From 1933 or 1934 Smith, Kline and French began selling the volatile base form of the drug as an inhaler under the trade name Benzedrine, useful as a decongestant but readily usable for non-medical purposes.[7] One of the first attempts at using amphetamines as a scientific study was done by M. H. Nathanson, a Los Angeles physician, in 1935. He studied the subjective effects of amphetamine in 55 hospital workers who were each given 20 mg of Benzedrine. The two most commonly reported drug effects were "a sense of well being and a feeling of exhilaration" and "lessened fatigue in reaction to work".[8] During World War II amphetamine was extensively used to combat fatigue and increase alertness in soldiers. After decades of reported abuse, the FDA banned Benzedrine inhalers, and limited amphetamines to prescription use in 1965, but non-medical use remained common. Amphetamine became a schedule II drug under the Controlled Substances Act in 1971.
The related compound methamphetamine was first synthesized from ephedrine in Japan in 1918 by chemist Akira Ogata, via reduction of ephedrine using red phosphorus and iodine. The pharmaceutical Pervitin was a tablet of 3 mg methamphetamine which was available in Germany from 1938 and widely used in the Wehrmacht, but by mid-1941 it became a controlled substance, partly because of the amount of time needed for a soldier to rest and recover after use and partly because of abuse. For the rest of the war, military doctors continued to issue the drug, but less frequently and with increasing discrimination.[9]
In 1997 and 1998,[10][11] researchers at Texas A&M University claimed to have found amphetamine and methamphetamine in the foliage of two Acacia species native to Texas, A. berlandieri and A. rigidula. Previously, both of these compounds had been thought to be human inventions. These findings have never been duplicated, and the analyses are believed by many biochemists to be the result of experimental error, and as such the validity of the report has come into question.

In 1859, an Italian doctor, Paolo Mantegazza, returned from Peru, where he had witnessed first-hand the use of coca by the natives. He proceeded to experiment on himself and upon his return to Milan he wrote a paper in which he described the effects. In this paper he declared coca and cocaine (at the time they were assumed to be the same) as being useful medicinally, in the treatment of “a furred tongue in the morning, flatulence, [and] whitening of the teeth.”

Pope Leo XIII purportedly carried a hipflask of the coca-treated Vin Mariani with him, and awarded a Vatican gold medal to Angelo Mariani.
A chemist named Angelo Mariani who read Mantegazza’s paper became immediately intrigued with coca and its economic potential. In 1863, Mariani started marketing a wine called Vin Mariani, which had been treated with coca leaves, to become cocawine. The ethanol in wine acted as a solvent and extracted the cocaine from the coca leaves, altering the drink’s effect. It contained 6 mg cocaine per ounce of wine, but Vin Mariani which was to be exported contained 7.2 mg per ounce, to compete with the higher cocaine content of similar drinks in the United States. A “pinch of coca leaves” was included in John Styth Pemberton's original 1886 recipe for Coca-Cola, though the company began using decocainized leaves in 1906 when the Pure Food and Drug Act was passed. The actual amount of cocaine that Coca-Cola contained during the first twenty years of its production is practically impossible to determine.
In 1879 cocaine began to be used to treat morphine addiction. Cocaine was introduced into clinical use as a local anesthetic in Germany in 1884, about the same time as Sigmund Freud published his work Über Coca, in which he wrote that cocaine causes
exhilaration and lasting euphoria, which in no way differs from the normal euphoria of the healthy person..[
/quote]

A bit more on cocaine ... since you know how we do :)
By the turn of the twentieth century, the addictive properties of cocaine had become clear, and the problem of cocaine abuse began to capture public attention in the United States. The dangers of cocaine abuse became part of a moral panic that was tied to the dominant racial and social anxieties of the day. In 1903, the American Journal of Pharmacy stressed that most cocaine abusers were “bohemians, gamblers, high- and low-class prostitutes, night porters, bell boys, burglars, racketeers, pimps, and casual laborers.” In 1914, Dr. Christopher Koch of Pennsylvania’s State Pharmacy Board made the racial innuendo explicit, testifying that, “Most of the attacks upon the white women of the South are the direct result of a cocaine-crazed Negro brain.” Mass media manufactured an epidemic of cocaine use among African Americans in the Southern United States to play upon racial prejudices of the era, though there is little evidence that such an epidemic actually took place. In the same year, the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act outlawed the sale and distribution of cocaine in the United States.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Michael wrote:Weren't the MD's handing out speed like popcorn in those days as a fill-in for their cure-all, Sir Laudanum? Need a little "pick-me-up"?

i need to invent me a time machine 8-)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic