Wrestling with my Demons

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Wrestling with my Demons

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm

demons manifest through individuals.

Whether this is because of possession or from a manifestation of the "demons" we all have is the thorny question. Personally, I reject the excuse that "the devil made me do it." But, I do believe that it is people who do the Devil's work.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Was just listening to a talk from a Habadnik Rabbi who said that the satan (Satan) is, according to the Torah, "an angel of God that has a mission and the mission that this angel of God has is to bring a person to an opportunity to choose between good and bad."

http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_ ... -Devil.htm

Furthermore, the talk gives a very specific example of how we have to make choices between which rules to follow and which to ignore. It is simply not possible to give equal weight to all of the commandments. For example, work on the sabbath is, in the torah, a crime punishable by excommunication from the tribe and possibly death. OTOH, if, on the sabbath, a person starts to choke on a fishbone at dinner, administering medical procedures like the heimlich would be a violation of the sabbath. Do you save the persons life or observe the sabbath? The answer lies in knowing which commandments take priority over which other commandments. What about choosing between fasting for Yom Kippur and eating the very best meal available for sabbath?

So yes, it's necessary to give differing measures of relative importance to different holy laws.

Also, it occurs to me that earlier we were wrong about me, a Levite, being able to perform the rites. Levites are actually only allowed to enter the temple and make preparations. The rites themselves are performed by the Cohen.
Last edited by bailewen on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Judaism used to be a religion which had a temple cult and priestly sacrifices at its liturgical center. The descendants of Aaron were its priests (kohanim)(Cohen), and the members of the Tribe of Levi were its temple officials.

When the Temple sacrifices and liturgy ceased, the animal sacrifices may be seen as having been replaced by prayer: most often by liturgical worship (songs, texts, and community recitations relating to the worship of the Levites), but also I would suggest, by silent contemplative prayer which I see as a kind of continuation of the silent rituals of the kohanim. It's worth mentioning that these include highly symbolic acts like tending a ner tamid (perpetual light) and offering bread or incense as well as the more usually remembered animal sacrifices. These are acts which can readily be “translated” into contemporary forms of spiritual activity by a contemplative.

Rabbinical Judaism stresses the idea that, now that the temple does not exist, those sacrifices are replaced by prayers, prayers which are offered not by hereditary priests but by all sections of the community. With the suspension of temple service who then is to be regarded as the descendants of these Priests and Levites?

Well, in part, some of the functions have fallen upon the professional or semi-professional clergy of Rabbinical Judaism usually known as rabbis, cantors, and readers. In many denominations the “kohanim” still perform the priestly blessing while “levites” wash their hands, but in most forms of progressive Judaism this is no longer the case.

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 am

"an angel of God that has a mission and the mission that this angel of God has is to bring a person to an opportunity to choose between good and bad."

Just as with Eve (or Jesus), "Satan" offers opportunities for a person to sin. He (or she) shows the apple and says "Why not eat it?", but he can't make you.

The idea of a conflict between commandments (or laws) seems very necessary. Omar, where does the saying "Choose life" come from ... because to me it makes more sense than any particular law.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 am

It actually is a particular law. Deut 30:15

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0530.htm
15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil, 16 in that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His ordinances; then thou shalt live and multiply, and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest in to possess it. 17 But if thy heart turn away, and thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 18 I declare unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish; ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over the Jordan to go in to possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed; 20 to love the LORD thy God, to hearken to His voice, and to cleave unto Him; for that is thy life, and the length of thy days; that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD swore unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them. {P}

In context, it presents a choice of either following the guidance of the Torah or rejecting it. If you follow it, you will be blessed with children and crops etc. ie "life". If you reject the covenant, you will be cursed with death and destruction therefore, God exhorts man, "choose life" ie. choose to follow his instructions for life. But this passage is generally taken out of context by the religious right to serve political ends. IMHOI, the passage is referencing a topic vastly broader than abortion rights. It is a general principle for life in this world. The passage I quoted starts at Deut 12:15 but you really need to go back at least a full chapter to get the context.

p.s.

The talk I referenced in my previous point goes exactly to the point you just made about the apple. The Rabbi says that the specific tree was irrelevant. Whichever tree God pointed to and said, "not that one" would have been the same result. Humorously, he uses Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory as metaphore. In that story, Willie Wonka (God) invites all the children in to tour the factory and offers a metaphorical paradise if they follow his rules. In the meantime Mr.Wilkinson, the bad guy, tries to temp all the children into breaking Willie Wonka's rules. The stinger is, at the end of the story, that Mr. Wilkinson is, in fact, an employee of Willie Wonka who's job is was was to try to temp the various children into breaking the rules. Mr. Wilkinson was the devil but, like the real devil, was also taking his orders from the top guy.

No free choice = no real merit.
Last edited by bailewen on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am

"Was just listening to a talk from a Habadnik Rabbi who said that the satan (Satan) is, according to the Torah, "an angel of God that has a mission and the mission that this angel of God has is to bring a person to an opportunity to choose between good and bad."

That's great but unfortunately the Rabbi is extrapolating from what the Bible says to make it say what he wants it to say. I know I'm a broken record here but you have to read the whole thing and interpret the Bible by the Bible, not your personal interpretation. And no, I am not requiring him to read the New Testament either. The Biblical evidence from the OT doesn't support that conclusion.

"For example, work on the sabbath is, in the torah, a crime punishable by excommunication from the tribe and possibly death. OTOH, if, on the sabbath, a person starts to choke on a fishbone at dinner, administering medical procedures like the heimlich would be a violation of the sabbath. Do you save the persons life or observe the sabbath?"

There was this funny story I heard once about a guy who kept breaking the Law (apparently) in order to show people what was really important and what God was about. The religionists got really upset that He would do things like, you know, save people's lives and heal them and what not. "I desire mercy, not offerings".
Chris Fleming

Postby Bär on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am

This is indeed a disturbing thread.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Steve James wrote:Angels (apart from the literal meaning of "messengers") are beings that are between humans and the Supreme Being. They are separate creations that, depending on your theological perspective, can be "good" or "evil" or indifferent. Of the nine categories of angels, only the lowest three actually contact human beings, starting with the "guardian" angel that we are born we. I think that we tend to think of angels are helpful beings, sometimes like the little cherubs we see on Valentine's Day or the painted Renaissance angels. But, they have appeared (to humans) a frightening balls of light, etc. And, not to mention, they also comprise God's army.

For those who'd accept Hislop's position, demons are beings that are the product of illicit unions between rebellious angels and humans. Some stories say they were wiped out during the flood. I've read that they were sometimes used as explanations for the strange looking fossils that people found before they coined the term "dinosaur." (Though I don't recall exactly where, so I can't back that up offhand. It was probably Hislop, though.

A Muslim brother should comment here on the distinction between angels and "jinn" --as beings of air or fire. I would add that in those African traditions (that in the west we call Voodoo :), the things that westerners usually see as gods are exactly the same as angels. Some (even most) can get angry, but few are considered "evil." Well, Haitian tradition does have families of these intermediary beings that are used specifically to do harm. Anyway, my original point stands. There are several instances in the Bible where God sends angels to warn of destruction and to destroy.

Jinn are a species created of smokeless fire according to the Qur'an, and are essentially of the same level as man. Created, like man, to worship the One God and, like man, endowed with free will. Angels, on the other hand, are beings of light who either don't have complete free will or are simply so innately good that they essentially don't have free will because it wouldn't even cross their minds(or hearts depending upon your inclination) to rebel against God. The primary distinguishing factor between both jinn and angels and mankind is that mankind... Adam specifically, but mankind on the whole as Adam is considered the primordial origin of all mankind, was "taught all the names." It is upon this which is the reasoning that the angels, and jinn and Iblis(who it seems is king of the jinn but also was counted amongst the angels though apparently not of the same species as angels, this is a point on which I'm not entirely clear) were commanded to bow down to Adam. Iblis, who would probably be considered the same as Lucifer, refuses because he says Adam is made of clay while he, Iblis, is made of fire(jinn then). This, however, is not the reasoning for the call to prostrate before Adam... the reasoning is the more complete knowledge that man was taught over that of angels and jinn. Even the angels are said to have disputed with God regarding the creation of Adam, but were humbled with an appeal to their relative ignorance and God's Knowledge.

Jinn can be good or bad, with most people considering them to be mostly bad. Even those that are not evil can be quite mischievous though, as I understand it.

It's an interesting discussion the potential theological or metaphysical origin of notions like "wrestling with my demons." The Qur'an refers to the nafs al-ammarah bil-su, or the soul that commands to evil. Which is essentially the human soul at the lowest level of development, or non-development. One gradually aspires to develop to the point of nafs al-mutma'innah, or the soul that is at peace. "Wrestling with demons" or the self that commands to evil would be, in Islamic parlance, referred to as jihad an-nafs... or the struggle with the self/soul to remake one's self in submission to God. The jihad an-nafs has been referred to in the sayings of Muhammad and his Family as jihad al-akbar or the Greatest Struggle. I think at times when a person's actions do not match their internal convictions, certainly hypocrisy of the worst sort, it might be a sign of what Muslim mystics and the Qur'an refers to as the nafs al-lawammah or the the upbraided soul, which is the person whose soul is awakened and blames itself. One can feel somewhat outside of one's self when undertaking certain actions that run contrary to your convictions. I've certainly felt that way at times, it's a bizarre feeling too.
Last edited by zenshiite on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Interestingly, because the Cohanim and Levi'im were discrete tribes (and had to marry within the tribe -- like a caste), there are genetic markers that remain to this day, at least among males of Cohan descent. In a typical Conservative and Orthodox Jewish Torah service, congregants are called up to bless (and sometimes also to chant) each of the sevel portions of the Shabbat reading, according to their ethno-religious tribal heritage: Cohan first, then Levi, then Yisrael (for those who are descended from the rest of the tribes, or who can't trace their heritage or who are "conversos"). Nowadays the third "aliyah" is often just called "Shilishi" ("third") instead of Yisrael, but I prefer the latter since the rest of the lot deserve their special designation. :)

BTW, the translation in that lovely cut-paper version of the priestly blessing: May the Lord Bless you and Keep you, and Grant you Peace (the artist seems to have left out the "Shine His Countenance Upon You..."). :)

Doc Stier wrote:Image

Judaism used to be a religion which had a temple cult and priestly sacrifices at its liturgical center. The descendants of Aaron were its priests (kohanim)(Cohen), and the members of the Tribe of Levi were its temple officials.

When the Temple sacrifices and liturgy ceased, the animal sacrifices may be seen as having been replaced by prayer: most often by liturgical worship (songs, texts, and community recitations relating to the worship of the Levites), but also I would suggest, by silent contemplative prayer which I see as a kind of continuation of the silent rituals of the kohanim. It's worth mentioning that these include highly symbolic acts like tending a ner tamid (perpetual light) and offering bread or incense as well as the more usually remembered animal sacrifices. These are acts which can readily be “translated” into contemporary forms of spiritual activity by a contemplative.

Rabbinical Judaism stresses the idea that, now that the temple does not exist, those sacrifices are replaced by prayers, prayers which are offered not by hereditary priests but by all sections of the community. With the suspension of temple service who then is to be regarded as the descendants of these Priests and Levites?

Well, in part, some of the functions have fallen upon the professional or semi-professional clergy of Rabbinical Judaism usually known as rabbis, cantors, and readers. In many denominations the “kohanim” still perform the priestly blessing while “levites” wash their hands, but in most forms of progressive Judaism this is no longer the case.

Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Interloper wrote:Interestingly, because the Cohanim and Levi'im were discrete tribes (and had to marry within the tribe -- like a caste), there are genetic markers that remain to this day, at least among males of Cohan descent.

Interesting that you mention this as I just recently came across the following articles on exactly that subject:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familycohanim.html

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48936742.html

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b1 ... liben.html

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
Interloper wrote:Interestingly, because the Cohanim and Levi'im were discrete tribes (and had to marry within the tribe -- like a caste), there are genetic markers that remain to this day, at least among males of Cohan descent.

Interesting that you mention this as I just recently came across the following articles on exactly that subject:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familycohanim.html

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48936742.html

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b1 ... liben.html

Yep. It also annoys the heck out of anti-Israel folks who would like to believe that modernday Jews have no legitimate history in the Middle East...
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 am

Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

From Darkness into Light

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:49 am

Doc Stier
Great Old One

Psychology of Spirit Possession & Exorcism

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:45 am

The History & Psychology of Spirit Possession & Exorcism by Mark Bancroft, MA

Exorcism is derived from the Greek word exorkizein which means "to bind by oath". Evil spirits (demons) which possess a person are exorcised (compelled to leave) by a higher authority, such as God or Christ. "Catholic exorcisms begin, Adjure te, spiritus nequissime, per Deum omnipotentem…which means "I adjure thee, most evil spirit, by almighty God…." The Catholic Church considers possession a battle for the victim's soul, while other cultures embrace spirit possession as an integral part of their spiritual practices.

The word demon originated from the ancient Greek word daimon which referred to beings with special powers which placed them between people and the gods. The beings could bestow benefit or carry out the punishment of the gods. The questions arise, "Do demons exist?", "Can they possess a person's body and cast away the person's soul?", "After death do some spirits linger upon the earth plane attaching themselves to the living?", "Do exorcisms really work?", "Why do evil spirits want to harm us?", "Can the living converse with the dead?"

Historical and Cultural Accounts of Spirit Possession & Exorcism

Every major religious and cultural tradition worldwide has espoused the idea of spirit possession and the need for some form of exorcism. The rites of exorcism have included the use of prayers, commands, fumigations (burning of dung), holy water, hellebore, rue, salt, and roses. The Old Testament shares, "David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him." In some cultures the exorcist functioned in much the same way doctors do now; people would visit the exorcist seeking a cure for illness, misfortune, or bad luck.

Our historical journey of spirit possession takes us back to the beginning of civilization. All forms of sickness, both physical and psychological, were attributed to possessing spirits in ancient Mesopotamia. The number of possessing spirits and demons awaiting to attach to a person were so great it lead to a fear described as "one of the most important factors in the daily life of a Babylonian." Ancient Babylonian priests served as exorcists who performed the ritual by destroying a clay or wax image of a demon meant to destroy the attached spirit. Assyrian tablets offer the first written accounts for the treatment of illnesses. Treatment included incantations and prayers to the gods, as well as direct challenges to the demons which were believed to inflict diseases of every type.

The Hindu scriptures called the Vedas composed around 1000BC tell of evil beings who interfere with the work of Hindu gods and harm the living. Accounts from ancient Persia, 6th century BC, offer evidence of exorcism using prayer, ritual, and holy water by the religious leader Zoroaster, who was considered the first magician, and who founded the religion Zoroastrianism. It is known that Homer spoke repeatedly of demons, "A sick man pining away is one upon whom an evil spirit has gazed." Socrates spoke of the insane as those who are under the influence of demons; Plato affirmed that demons obsessed mortals. The cult of Dionysus in ancient Greece induced voluntary possession by the gods through the use of wine and sexual rites which resulted in wild madness. The ritual became so widespread throughout ancient Greece that it was legally suppressed in ancient Rome in 186BC due to excesses. Priestesses served as channels/mediums for the gods of the Greek world. The pronouncements of Apollo at Delphi were given through a priestess who was in trance and interpreted by the priests.

Jesus was the premier exorcist of his time. As much as ¼ of Jesus' healings were exorcisms. The ability to cast out evil spirits was a sign of true discipleship among the apostles. At least 26 references to exorcisms by Jesus may be found in the bible, including, "Jesus preached and cast out devils," Mark 1:39. "Jesus gave his twelve disciples the power against unclean spirits, to cast them out," Matthew 10:1. "The evil spirits went out of them," Acts 19:12. "Jesus rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou deaf and dumb spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead, insomuch that many said, He is dead. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose," Mark 9:25-27. In the exorcism of a madman Jesus had cast out the foul spirits; the spirits then entered into a herd of pigs who in turn ran over a cliff and drowned in the waters below.

Judaism exorcist rituals can be traced back to the 1st century AD. The dybbuk is considered an evil spirit which possesses the soul of its victim causing mental illness and changes in the personality. The dybbuk is exorcised through the victim's small toe and may either by redeemed or sent to hell. In Israel a long tradition of prophesy has been practiced in which the prophet enters an ecstatic state and becomes a temporary vessel, a mouthpiece for God. Islam created an elaborate system of demons. Muslim writings tell of a group of evil beings, called jinn, who cause destruction and preside over places where evil activities take place.

The dhikr, a set of phrases which glorify God, is used in conjunction with a set of physical movements and special breathing techniques which allows the Sufis to enter into union with the divine. Poet al-Ghazali observes the state as, "drunk with a drunkenness in which their reason collapsed' they felt utterly possessed by God."

Ancient folklore contains many stories of demons. The oni of Japan are demons said to bring about storms; ancient Japanese history tells of suddenly arising storms which caused superior enemies from successfully invading the island. Kelpies are known in Scotland to haunt pools, waiting to drown careless travelers.

Some shamanic traditions consider demons and evil spirits responsible for stealing human souls resulting in maladies and misfortune. The shaman is responsible for searching for, and recovering, the evicted soul; the demon is driven out and the body returned to its rightful owner. The word shaman comes from the language of the Arctic Tungus which means "one who is excited, moved, or raised." For the Tungus a shaman is one who has mastered spirits and who can introduce them into their own body at will. It is not uncommon for a shaman of the Tungus to permanently incarnate one or more spirits which he/she may call upon at will by going into a controlled trance state.
http://www.enspirepress.com/writings_on ... rcism.html
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic