Malaysia And Singapore

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Malaysia And Singapore

Postby AllanF on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 pm

For all these people who have been to Malaysia and Singapore or indeed live there. I will be going to Kuala Lumpur in July with the family for my wife's friend's wedding. As Singapore is so close we have decided to do a week in both places.

As i know very little...actually nothing abut either place i would be most grateful for any advice on places to go and things to do in these fair lands.

Allan
AllanF

Re: Malaysia And Singapore

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

uh... see sam chin et al??

strange is in spore. sounds like he has the traditional :)
Ian

Postby gosao on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Both are great places to eat! The food is amazing.

Just make sure you brush up on your Singlish so you can communicate with the natives.

http://www.clicknetwork.tv/watch.aspx?c=2&p=18&v=225
gosao
Huajing

Postby Finny on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Be sure to go to the east coast seafood centre in Singapore - and have the chilli crab (and the black pepper crab too)
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Azer on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:30 am

Yeah, Seafood Centre is a must!

Also, check out the Singapore Zoo, its a wicket place... though, pass on the Night Safari.. not so good.

If you wanna do a pub/bar crawl (with your wife? :D) Start at Clarke Quay, then move down to Boat Quay, then on to Muhamed Sultan Road (all within walking distance of each other) For a late meal on a weekend, or any other day really (more fun on the weekend though) check out Newton Circus, its a crazy hawker market/food place... can get all sort of weird stuff, like frogs, snails, sting ray... plus big bottles of Tiger beer really cheap..

There are loads of shopping centres, if thats your thing, cant really miss them..

Enjoy!
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby Mut on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm

damn, I'll be in Malaysia in august for a week or 2. Try getting in touch with Sifu Jimmy Heow, who is the head of ILC in Malaysia, he is a great guy, I met him last time I was there and plan on seeing him again this time around. As for things to do, street eateries with Tiger beer are high on my list of things to enjoy... it is pretty hectic there, at least from my point of view so getting out to the cameron highlands is a good idea. The people are great but watch out for the scams. Last time I was there I has hit with the same type of scam 3 times in about half an hour.... this was during the only time I was not with my family.

being from Aus I did not drive in KL itself (looks nuts and the taxis are cheap) but did hire a car to drive up to Ipoh and beyond. Once outside KL the traffic is a little crazy but manageable (in fact I loved the chaos of driving after I got used to it) and the tollways are really good.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Allan:

I lived in Malaysia in the mid-1990s and was a frequent visitor to Sing. However, I have not been back since.

In KL
Eating and shopping. The Central Market is a good one stop shop for arts n crafts and stall food: A bit touristy,but convenient. Nearby Chinatown is a good place for Chinese grub. Petaling Jaya (a southern suburb) is also great for evening food stalls, the streets are closed and pedestrianized after sunset.
There is also an excelellent colonial steak restaurant in downtown run by huge Sikhs, but I can't remember the name of it. Must be in Lonely Planet.
Some great weapons in the Malay History Museum - including Yap Ah-loy's weapons (the Tong hardman who founded the city as a mining camp after whacking anyone who got in his way) and even an "Amok Catcher" (a giant set of tongs!)
I'd suggest you take a day trip to Malacca (about 90 mins by road, IIRC): Great satay down there, some interesting tourist sites - reconstructed Malay palace, and be sure to do a boat trip though the canals - and also excellent Malay-Portuguse grub in the food emporium down on the coast (May have changed now: They were doing land reclaimaition when I was there)

Oh, and if you happen to visit the Jingwu (big building on the hill behind Chinatown - lot's of MA practiced there) early in the morning, and see the Chen Taiji group do mention my name (Andy Salmon) and pass on my regards - that is where I started the art!

Sinapore:
Eat on nowhere but the streets, it is even better than KL. Good English language bookshops too. The Sing History Musuem is on Sentosa is interesting, especially WWII, and the Sing Zoo is world class. The night safari there is excellent.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:16 am

Many thanks for the info, gives me plenty of food for thought.
Allan
AllanF

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 am

all this talk about food and Tiger... I want to go!
Ian

Postby Mut on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02 am

ummm food and Tiger, I can't wait for August to roll around!!!
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic