Windows 7 revisited

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Windows 7 revisited

Postby KEND on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm

There was a post some months ago on Windows 7, the general consensus was that it was way better than Vista. I recently tried to instal the program. It seems whenever I instal a new program something goes wrong. In this case there was an incompatibility, it came up with 'perfect disk'. The only 'perfect disk' I could come up with was a defragmenter which was part of the McAfee antivirus system. It had been suggested that the Antivirus be disabled, which I had done, so I uninstalled the McAfee to make sure the defragmenter was not operating, same result the 'perfect disk' was incompatible=any suggestions?
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Windows 7 revisited

Postby Craig on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I had a lot of trouble installing programs on windows 7 that installed ok on XP. After a lot of stuffing around I worked out that my RAM was faulty and replaced it. Its been working 100% ever since. I'd suggest running a memtest on your PC just to make sure your RAM is ok.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 pm

How much memory are you running? W7 needs 2x as much as XP. Not to worry, because most new machines take much more memory as well. figure on 4G as a minimum. That's enough to give you headroom. Fwiw, I've had no problems installing programs on W7. Otoh, I also have a machine running XP (as the base for my small network).
You could also consider that W95 still works fine, too. If a user were satisfied with it, there'd be no reason to change ... except that programs are not being written to run on it. The same thing will happen with XP eventually.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm

microsoft's site has a feature to check your system's compatibility with w7. you may want to try that first.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic