Conan getting shafted by NBC and Leno

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Conan getting shafted by NBC and Leno

Postby nianfong on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 pm

yeah you guys have probably heard the news already, but here is Conan's response anyway. for those that don't know, Conan has been the host of the tonight show for the past 6 months--and he has always been way funnier than Leno IMHO. NBC has recently decided to shaft him, and bring the Leno Show to the 11:35 slot (it was at 10 pm previously, to fill a void in primetime programming), pushing the Tonight show to 12:05 am.

Colin's response:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... wing-leno/

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over “The Tonight Show” in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004, I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my “Tonight Show” in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the “Tonight Show” to 12:05 to accommodate the “Jay Leno Show” at 11:35. For 60 years, the “Tonight Show” has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the “Tonight Show” into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The “Tonight Show” at 12:05 simply isn’t the “Tonight Show.” Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the “Late Night” show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard, and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of “The Tonight Show.” But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet, a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the “Tonight Show,” I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
Last edited by nianfong on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Re: Conan getting shafted by NBC

Postby nianfong on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:44 pm

nianfong
Administrator

Re: Conan getting shafted by NBC and Leno

Postby Buddy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Who cares?
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 am

Buddy wrote:Who cares?

I care.

It sucks. :( I used to watch Conan when I lived abroad. At times it was my only connection back to this country.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Bär on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am

http://www.buzzfeed.com/digg/conan-obriens-15-million

Conan spent $1.5 million on a Bugatti Veyron "dressed up" as a mouse as well as the master recording of “Satisfaction.”
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 am

They're both self involved narcissistic shit heels who don't do much for the world.

I could care less if they were both cancelled and replaced with something worth watching other than a bunch of other entitled wealthy jerk offs be trotted out to promote themselves.

Talk shows should die!

The cause celebre should die.

art for arts sake! down with corporate shit art!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:21 pm

conan is getting about 32 million to leave nbc. if that's getting shafted, then please sign me up.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Bär wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/digg/conan-obriens-15-million

Conan spent $1.5 million on a Bugatti Veyron "dressed up" as a mouse as well as the master recording of “Satisfaction.”

That's funny, but I bet it was all set up, i.e. fully coordinated w/NBC. They probably rented the car, etc.
It's not like he can actually do ANYTHING he wants. Looks like he just found a new comedy subject (the "revenge" theme) to use in the remainder of his time there, drawing better ratings and riding the increased popularity wave he's recently been on because of the reshuffling.

I do like him better than Leno, but I have to say they are both no match for Letterman. :P
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm

How the real Conan would have dealt with this:

fuga
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 pm

you mean the unreal conan. the real conan is the one on tv. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Quoted from http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

The recent news that Conan O’Brien will be replaced by Jay Leno has caused white people to erupt with rage and hostility. You might even expect them to lash out and do something about it like take to the streets or write a letter to NBC to voice their dissatisfaction with the network. But no, white people will solve this problem the way that they solved the election crisis in Iran – through Facebook and Twitter status updates. In 2009, millions of white people took 35 seconds to turn their twitter profiles green, and consequently sent a very powerful message to the leaders of Iran. Their message was that they wanted their friends to know that they would stop at nothing to ensure freedom and democracy for the Iranian people. Thanks in large part to that effort Iran is now completely democratic. With that issue settled, white people are launching a similar campaign for Conan that is sure to have similar results.

It is not hard to understand why white people love Conan O’Brien, he embodies so many of the things they already like before he even opens his mouth: Ivy League Schools, Red Hair, the Boston Red Sox, Self Deprecating Humor, The Simpsons, and Bad Memories of High School (likely, but not confirmed). Seeing him on television five nights a week is a comforting reminder of community to the white people who still have televisions.

But if your plan is to try to use Conan O’Brien as a way to get white people to become more interested you, then it is imperative that you understand a few key rules. Firstly, all white people love “the masturbating bear,” if you don’t know what this is, do not worry. Just state your love for the character, and the white person you are talking to will simply fill in the rest. Secondly, all white people believe that Andy Richter never should have left the show. And finally, you should do your best to develop a “Triumph the Insult Comic Dog” impression. All white people already have one, so you might as well try to fit in. Complete these steps and watch your friendship with white people become considerably smoother.

Now, the biggest and most important thing to remember is to never, under any circumstances bring up a Conan O’Brien sketch or joke that has taken place in the last three years. You will be met with only blank stares. For you see, while white people will fiercely support Conan O’Brien in any public forum, they always fail to support him in the only way that actually helps – by watching his show.

Note: Under no circumstances should you ever mention that you prefer Jay Leno. This might cause white people to think you have the same taste in humor as the wrong kind of white people, or worse, their parents.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:52 pm

They paid him almost 50 mil to get him out of the way. I can't cry for him.

S- just can't do it.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic