Ultrasonic Sounds - what can you hear?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Ultrasonic Sounds - what can you hear?

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 am

http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

I can hear up to 21.1kHz. I wouldn't describe it as hearing so much as feeling it deep in my head / ears. Very irritating. Can't hear 22.4 kHz at all.
Ian

Re: Ultrasonic Sounds - what can you hear?

Postby bailewen on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:49 am

I could hear 21.1 too but what was really weird to me was that while 21.1 was actually totally a clear tone to me (could play an E on the guitar and hear it was the same note , 22.4 was just nothing whatsoever.

Edit:
Must be something to do with consonant resonance because I can't hear 17.7 either. Just total nothing. I can hear right above and right below it but 17.7 just doesn't register in my ears.
Last edited by bailewen on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:50 am

same. 22.4 just blank to me, everything else was a tone..and the file noise as well which had a deep hum beneath the high pitched squeal.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 am

Note that some of this will depend on what your speakers can handle. At these frequencies the decibels usually begin to go down... so 21 or 22 would be either quieter (at the same volume) or some speakers may not be able to reproduce it at all. Just FYI.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 am

FYI = D'oh! = No dui!

No audiophiles in this thread. :P

22.4 KHz is also around the threshold of producible sound from a digital recording whose sampling rate was 44.1 KHz because the audible range is half the sampling rate due to filters. Now that we have more storage on CD-sized discs, and if we're not going back to vinyl, which we should have never left, they should sample around at least 3x the current.

The audio rags used to say vinyl could produce a range up to 45 KHz. I know I could quickly tell the difference between vinyl or CD as source when listening to a cassette recording from an album no matter how crappy the playback equipment, including musac type ceiling speakers and unfamiliar source material. There's a lot of information coming from them moving magnets or moving coils riding on the vinyl that just ain't there on CD I tells ya! 8-)
Michael

Postby Craig on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:32 pm

"I can hear up to 21.1kHz. "

I checked this and said "get result now" and this is what it told me:

You are a dog
Or maybe you are a mosquito, you certainly can't be human.

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 21.1kHz

So in other words you are both mutant freaks. I could only hear to 15.8kHz clearly, the 16.7 i could hear it start and end but couldnt really hear the pitch over all the background noise here. at any rate, the results said i was a regular early 20s human.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Also, I'm guessing that the "technicians" never thought about compensating based on the 100's of different sound card and speaker setups that people use on their pcs. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:02 pm

I made it to 14.9, clearly. The result said I was in my 30s, but shouldn't fret because I wouldn't be bothered by the ultrasonic ringtones of the younguns.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Fu Mei on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Thank you for posting.

I checked in at 21.1KHz

When I tried the 22.4kHz is was as though I could feel pressure building against my inner ear. Sounds weird. However, when I worked as a classroom teacher I used to confiscate quite a number of cellphones from the students in my classes. Their ringtones were set so high that the other teachers could not hear them but I could. Amazingly they would still keep trying. Even when I could not actually hear the ringtone I knew a phone was ringing because of the pressure against my inner ear. The students must have thought I was a freak. I suppose that when you are a trained musician you automatically percieve sounds or waves by 2nd nature.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby ashe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:54 pm

i could hear 21.1 but 17 and 18 were less clear though i could still hear them. 22 was nothing.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm

16.7 is what i hear clearly from up there i can't hear nothing.
Areios
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 pm

According to the website, the 22 khz clip had NO Sound! It was a test to see who's lying about what they could hear.
.Q.
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic