Reid on Why Obama was elected

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Reid on Why Obama was elected

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 am

I'm watching Sunday morning news tv, and the issue of Harry Reid's comments on Obama came up. Ok, Reid said something like "Obama won because he was light skinned and didn't speak in Negro dialect." So, some people (notably Repubs, including a darker-skinned Steele, the head of the party, got upset. They say that the remarks are racist and that Reid, a leading Demo, should resign.

Well, I don't know about ya'll, but I think Reid was right. Now, I would question Reid's use of the term "Negro" dialect --as if the white guys in the nabe don't speak in dialect. (Not a good example, but I'm wondering if anyone ever saw the show "Jersey Shore"?) Anyway, I don't think that Bill Richardson would be Governor of New Mexico if he were darker and spoke with a Mexican accent (and he didn't even have to deal with a name that ended in vowels). There is no one "Negro" dialect, and not all "Negroes" speak the way Reid implies (or that many Americans believe). There are plenty who speak and write standard English --and, unfortunately, they are often criticized for "talking white." (Of course, that criticism had another legal and social origin, but that's another story).

The reason, imo, there has been a hubbub is 1) it's just the usual Rep/Dem find the mudfest; and 2) shame. What Reid is really saying (behind the code) is that White people wouldn't have voted for Obama if he had seemed like a Black person. I.e., Obama was acceptable (whereas Wesley Snipes wouldn't have been :)) I honestly don't know. It's not because I don't have an opinion (which is that it's true); or because I have a belief (which is that most Americans (White, Black, Yellow, Red and other) voted for Obama because of what he said of for some other reason, not because of his "race." However, I'm a Black guy. My opinions of White peoples' motives (if they have any as a group) is always just a guess or maybe something that I want to see or not.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Reid on Why Obama was elected

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 am

The problem with absolutism is that it takes what may be a viable albeit small factor from something, and makes it the factor for the entire situation.

This is also a critical error in how anyone would argue a matter or journalese on one.

so, if obama were to make his speeches completely in rap ebonics while posing like Jay Z, yeah, he probably wouldn't be president. lol.
The thing about being a political leader is that you must appeal to the greatest number of people and to do taht, you have to become, well, average.

So, Obama is fairly average in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at his opponent in the last election we had McCain. Far from average in looks and in record.
In the fight for the dem leadership, his opponent Hillary was also not average.

But Obama really was the just right porridge. He apealed to so many people and still does because he is so average and so not extreme.

In fact, his presidency is making the extremes look more and more vulgar everyday.
extreme viewpoints are being laughed away even if they do hold a correctness. On any side.

So, if that is what he was the impetus to and the catalyst for, then great! Go Obama!

Anyway, the first point I made is the one I would argue.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 am

Obama is fairly average in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that he's the definition of split down the middle --or should be in terms of racial politics. Of course, people who categorize themselves as on the Right think he's too far Left: and vice versa. That sort of puts him in the political middle. But, I don't agree that he's average, either actually or in terms of how the "average" American views himself.
I don't think he's personally threatening.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 pm

In that Wesley didn't pay his taxes maybe he could be considered for the Treasury head once Geithner has to resign. Wait for the popular media to turn and then they'll get Timmy. And the admin will throw him under the bus.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:07 pm

I believe Obama got elected because of Bush and not so much related to his race.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:26 am

I think Reid was correct, too! I also question his way of saying it, but...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am

Bullshit.

You know the reason Obama got elected?

Eight years of W.

Say what you want about "the true power behind politics" and "they are all the same", whatever, I didn't really care. I was voting for anyone that was not anywhere near W. Clinton, Edwards, anyone.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 am

I was voting for anyone that was not anywhere near W. Clinton, Edwards, anyone.

Palin??
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Steve is right....again.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

What do we actually mean by average? Education, intellect, stupidity!!!

The American revolution stated that they wanted "common man' (whatever that meant) to be able to lead the nation as opposed to manarchial succession but based on the last few elections and based on the current "bogus vetting process", the common man might as well not waste his time?
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm

yeniseri wrote:What do we actually mean by average? Education, intellect, stupidity!!!

He was below average in experience; like Clinton said, a few years ago he would've been bringing them coffee.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Average as in median to above median, but not at the extremes or anywhere particularly near them.

This applies to actions, appearance, behaviours, and personal history.

McCain and Palin were an extreme. Palin was brought out after Hillary left the equation and was dragged across the USA with the sole purpose in mind of getting women' votes!

sheer arrogance. Not to mention the 8 years of Bush and the voting record of Senator McCain during the W years.

Palin was literally pulled out of the GOP's ass. lol

;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Pat wrote:Bullshit.

You know the reason Obama got elected?

Eight years of W.

Say what you want about "the true power behind politics" and "they are all the same", whatever, I didn't really care. I was voting for anyone that was not anywhere near W. Clinton, Edwards, anyone.

And that's what the people behind the politicians (the banks) want you to think. ;D The Left-Right paradigm is set up to make you think you have a choice between two political parties but in reality there is only one party with two factions for the cameras. Obama is doing all that Bush did and more. And the next guy will be the same. When the sheeple get sick of democrats they'll swing to the other side due to some guy saying HE will be the one to bring about change. Instead of having 8 years of Dubya and X years of that and so on, we are getting full time bankers running the country and stealing everyone's wealth, causing wars, and eroding the constitution.
Chris Fleming

Postby chud on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 am

+1
Last edited by chud on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic