New Nikon Camera Favors Caucasians!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: New Nikon Camera Favors Caucasians!

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:43 pm

edededed wrote:I highly doubt that the majority of the designers of Nikon cameras are not Japanese.

Perhaps they "forgot" to think about non-Japanese Asian faces when designing their algorithms.

Say what? Like other Asian ethnicities, Japanese people can have very pronounced epicanthic folds so they'd get the "blink" message too!
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I doubt they didn't try the camera out on Asians before they put it into production. It's probably a software problem they didn't predict. Or, maybe they bought the software from a European company? :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 pm

1. Nikon camera apparently does not detect faces correctly for some Asian people.
2. Nikon camera was created by a top Japanese brand and sells to Japanese people (if it could not detect Japanese people correctly, that would be a big problem).
3. Some Asian people look distinct from Japanese (the lady in the picture, for example).

So what other conclusions can you make?

The problem may not necessarily be in the camera's dealing with epicanthic folds - however way you look at it, though, the software was either not built with non-Japanese Asians in mind, or did not test with the latter enough, if they are only discovering the problem now.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Ed,
It has nothing to do with how a person "looks" --- I'm pretty sure it's how much of their sclera (the white part of the eye) the camera's "eye" can detect. Anyone with pronounced epicanthic folds will get the "blink" message if the camera can't see enough sclera to determine that the eye is "open" enough.

My BF, who is Japanese, has even more "sclera-hiding" epicanthic folds than does the Chinese woman in the photo. And even within one ethnicity there are broadly varying degrees of coverage in epicanthic folds. Some folks have folds that barely cover the eye at all --- almost "Caucasian"-looking -- while others are like my boyfriend, where you can barely see any sclera at all, and just the pupil and a portion of the iris. Gonna get the "blink" question every time! ;)
Last edited by Interloper on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

We don't know Nikon's algorithms (people say that it does use skin color as one element to be used in face detection), we only know the result.

We also don't know whether your boyfriend will or will not pass Nikon's eyelid test - until you try. ;) (I think I did see this camera in the near-by Bic Camera - or maybe it was another of the same type. It detected my face perfectly each time, despite the fact that my epicanthic folds are also quite significant!)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

We'll just have to find one of those @#$& cameras and put my bf up to the Blink Test. ;) But I'm not sure it was the Nikon that was skin-color sensitive (thought that was the HP Webcam).
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:02 am

That camera should be popular in this league.......

Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/20 ... 3760.shtml
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 am

Bill wrote:That camera should be popular in this league.......

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

holy fucking shit!

Way to go racist idiots!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:00 pm

I probably shouldn't have, but I read the article. So, I picked this quote:

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

Well, okay, there was Negro League baseball; and, at one time, professional basketball was all Caucasian, and there is a Women's basketball league. So, I agree with him that just having the league is not "racist" --though I disagree that racism has anything to do with hatred; and I think he's right; it's a free country. Now, as to the whether the motives of the organizers is bigoted or not, the answer is fairly clear. And, whether or not the "culture" of basketball will be different (here, I cold make some Springer jokes), someone will just have to see. Hey, I tell you, though. People like him make life much easier, much more obvious that we ain't talking about the Civil War or even 1954 --getting back to the Supreme Court. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see -er, find out-- if people will pay to watch. Shucks, they can't even recruit Italians, Argentinians, Czechs, Frenchies or even Canucks.
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Finally - the rich white man is in charge for once.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

indeed, good luck with the latest in utter shyte bball. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 pm

reminds me of why you don't see many Asian guys in hockey - every time the puck goes in the corner, they open a store... *rim shot*

I want to get the camera now, because my wife is Chinese..."I don't know honey - it works on me AND our daughter...are you SUURRE you didn't blink again?" *evil*
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Interloper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens who can't play for shit, are totally outclassed. Here's a league for untalented white players to play fundamental basketball without having to look like morons, which we are, when compared to players of other ethnicities who simply have more talent as individuals."

Fixed. ;D -devil-
Last edited by Interloper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Bill wrote:That camera should be popular in this league.......

Well, they should call themselves the All-White-American Basketball Alliance - of course, I guess that their definition of "All-American" includes "white" in it.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Might as well throw in "Of Western- or Northern European Descent," too. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic