Embedded Fonts & Images?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Embedded Fonts & Images?

Postby cerebus on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Hiya!

I've just been looking at submissions requirements for publishing through Amazon dot com and it says " Embed all fonts and images in your PDF file." Whazzat mean? And how do I do it, or know if it's already being done, or whatever? ???

Oh and it also says "Embedded images should be 300 DPI." Whazzat?
Last edited by cerebus on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Re: Embedded Fonts & Images?

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 am

cerebus,

It means your images are not held externally on a server somewhere, and also that you are not linking to fonts on your local machine. To be honest, most PDF creation programs are set that way by default. You'd have to change the settings to make it other than the way they want it, so essentially don't worry about that.

DPI means 'dots per inch' and is a reference to the quality of the image. Roughly the lower the DPI the more 'fuzzy' or pixilated the image is. 300 is about what a magazine cover is. It's a completely useless measurement though, since it makes no reference to the actual size of the image. For example, you can have a 10cm x 10cm image at 300 dip and a 2cm x 2cm image at 400dpi. I believe that what you see on a computer screen is roughly equivalent to 75 dpi. I suspect it's just their way of saying "if your images are pixelly and shit you'll get your book rejected", so just make sure they look good.

Amazon are doing eBooks now?

G
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Fu Mei on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:25 am

I have recently started my own music publishing company and I am using a self publishing service for some of my material.

When I am using Word, my basic pdf creator embeds the fonts.

When I am using my music software which contains graphics, I convert to EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) and then covert to PDF through my Adobe software.

It took me a while to figure it out, but the gods favored me.

Hope this helps.
Fu Mei
Huajing

Postby cerebus on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 am

Cool. Thanks! I guess I don't have to do anything different then. All the photos and graphics are my own and saved on my own computer, and the fonts are just the ones that are a part of my word processing software. I'm guessing I should be good... And yeah, Amazon has their Kindle e-books these days which are becoming rather popular...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic